A forum for discussion of Social Activities
#14516 by McCoy
13 Aug 2006, 19:13
Edinburgh is just fantastic right now!

What a week I've had.. and more to the point, what a weekend!
Comedy, drama, film, music, drugs, sex, laughter, tears... but enough about work; the city is just buzzing!!!

The atmosphere is great, the beer is flowing and the shows are just superb. Have had to come home for an hour or two to recharge, before a full fun-packed night ahead.

No point me mentioning shows, ot telling you "you must see...." cos everyone likes different things. But the craic is tops, and there's a show for every taste. If you don't live in Edinburgh, you simply must come at some point.. it's now labelled as the best arts festival in the world.. and with just reason.
#132715 by Nottingham Nick
13 Aug 2006, 19:25
We are looking forward to it. [y][y]

I take it that the plan is to meet up at the Malmaison?

Unless anyone has a better plan, like a cosy pub nearby, then I gather that we are all convening after lunch for some conviviality in the liquid form, and then moving onto the Katzenjammer show?

Is that the plan, or have I missed something?

Nick
#132722 by buns
13 Aug 2006, 20:15
Originally posted by Nottingham Nick
We are looking forward to it. [y][y]

I take it that the plan is to meet up at the Malmaison?

Unless anyone has a better plan, like a cosy pub nearby, then I gather that we are all convening after lunch for some conviviality in the liquid form, and then moving onto the Katzenjammer show?

Is that the plan, or have I missed something?

Nick

Seems like a good plan to me[y][y]

The only potential fly in the ointment is getting there with the current situation[:(] For example, today (Sunday the 13th) no domestic from LGW so Mrs Buns and I would have had problems.

Let's hope BAA have got their act together by next week[:w][:w]

buns
#132925 by mitchja
14 Aug 2006, 16:51
I agree Nick

Meeting at the Malmaison is probably the best idea [y]

My BA1866 flight from MAN arrives EDI 09:50, so I will probably jump in a cab to the hotel.

Regards
#132935 by Scorpio
14 Aug 2006, 17:15
Just to let you all know if you are getting a train to Waverley there is a bus stop outside Princes Street / Leith Street... Hop on the No 22 and it will take you right down to Commercial Street / Ocean Terminal (£1 flat fare) the Malamaison is only a 5 min walk away.
#132956 by McCoy
14 Aug 2006, 19:40
..but equally, to let you know, Leith/Malmaison is way out from the centre of the town, as is the Katzen gig. You won't feel the Festival vibe all the way out there.

Are any of you coming into town proper??
#133003 by Nottingham Nick
14 Aug 2006, 23:15
Originally posted by McCoy
Are any of you coming into town proper??

We are looking for advice / inspiration from those of you who know the city best. I suggested the Malmaison, as it is where a lot of people are staying. We are staying out at Musselburgh, so will park up there are get public transport / a cab to the meeting point and then onto Katzenjammer later.

Any advice / suggestions warmly received.

Nick
#133019 by JAT74L
15 Aug 2006, 01:47
How about the German Bier tent thingy near the Scott monument?

As I won't be doing the Katzen gig I plan to meet up for a blether and perhaps a few sherberts!

John
#133022 by JAT74L
15 Aug 2006, 01:56
Ah, it's called the "Spiegeltent" but it might not actually be next to the Scott monument...

More suggestions please!!

John
#133418 by Nottingham Nick
16 Aug 2006, 17:38
I have split a few posts away for the original thread, so that all those attending can come to some agreement.

The main plan seems to be for those who are staying there, and anyone else who wants to, to meet at Malmaison - presumably from late morning onwards.

The lure of the city centre beer tent to meet up with JAT74L and taste the atmosphere of 'real Edinburgh' from mid afternoon, and then on to the Katzenjammer do in the evening.

I have no idea of the geography of the city, but does that sound reasonable?

If anyone want to PM me with their mobile phone numbers, I will PM mine back by return and act as a point of contact, so that anyone who wants to meet up can find out where the V-Flyer gang is.

Also, given that there will be people attending for the first time, would it be appropriate for 'the regulars' to wear the V-Flyer polo shirts / RBS hats, so that new friends will know who we are? [8D];)

Nick
#133422 by mitchja
16 Aug 2006, 17:44
Thanks Nick [y]

I'll remember to wear my V-Flyer Vegas polo shirt.

Might catch a bus now, rather than a cab as that means more beer money [:w]

Regards
#133447 by buns
16 Aug 2006, 19:52
Nick

Just to confirm, Mrs Buns & I are scheduled to arrive at EDI at 10.50 (BAA / BA permitting[:?]) so will attempt to get to Malmasion as soon as possible thereafter.

Wouldn't like to miss out on anything you know;)

buns
#133548 by JAT74L
17 Aug 2006, 04:03
OK, I'll be at the Malmaison ASAP after my train arrives in Waverley at 1300.

Regards

John
#133616 by HighFlyer
17 Aug 2006, 10:21
LRoM and i land in EDI at 12.35, so we will likely grab a cab to the Malmaison, dump our bags and hopefully catch the rest of you in the bar.

Nick - plan sounds good to me! :)

Thanks,
Sarah
#133664 by Scorpio
17 Aug 2006, 13:35
I am soooo excited about meeting you all on Saturday as you all seem so friendly.

I have never come across a site like this before based on an airline & brand and isnt it a great wee site?
#133891 by Pete
18 Aug 2006, 11:34
I have a show to review until about 1pm, but then I'm free up until Katzenjammer. I'll probably head over to Ocean Terminal some time in the afternoon.

Pete
#133934 by iforres1
18 Aug 2006, 14:25
Just wish I could be joining everyone for the first v-flyer social in Scotland. Enjoy Edinburgh, especially Rose street, the best street for a pub crawl:D

All the best
Iain
#133935 by Bazz
18 Aug 2006, 14:33
Echo what Iain says, wish I could be there but unfortunately work calls [n]

Have a great time guys [y] and don't get too [:$]
#133958 by buns
18 Aug 2006, 18:03
Originally posted by Bazz
Echo what Iain says, wish I could be there but unfortunately work calls [n]

Have a great time guys [y] and don't get too [:$]

Bazz & Iain

Thanks for the good wishes[y][y] - for that we will just have to drink (another[:w]) toast[}:)][}:)]

sorry you will not be joining us

buns
#133961 by JAT74L
18 Aug 2006, 18:42
Yes Indeed you two (four!) will be sorely missed. After my abysmal attendance record recently I am really looking forward to tomorrow.

The camera will be in attendace so expect evidence on Sunday!!

John
#133980 by Mavrick
18 Aug 2006, 20:22
Have a great time guys & gals looking forward to seeing the pics. [y] :D
#133982 by mcuth
18 Aug 2006, 20:32
Echoing Barry & Iain - have a great time this weekend everyone!

Cheers

Michael
#133986 by MarkJ
18 Aug 2006, 21:17
Originally posted by JAT74L
Yes Indeed you two (four!) will be sorely missed. After my abysmal attendance record recently I am really looking forward to tomorrow.

The camera will be in attendace so expect evidence on Sunday!!

John

Yes John- fingers crossed that all goes to plan this weekend.

Hope you and everyone else have a great time - hey its Scotland, its Edinburgh, its festival time, its V-flyers - no chance of a quiet night there then[:I][:w]
#134027 by Pete
19 Aug 2006, 03:08
Just back from a very pleasant evening drinking with Onionz, and what is clear that we really need to meet in Edinburgh centre rather than out in Leith. It would be a real shame to miss the festival atmosphere, so I'm suggesting C Venues on Chambers Street as the meeting point. Drinking all day is fine - let's just do it in the midst of the largest arts festival in the world!
Virgin Atlantic