A forum for discussion of Social Activities
#14567 by JAT74L
20 Aug 2006, 01:30
Well, would you believe it... I actually turned up for a V-F social!!

Arrived by cab at the Malmaison and received a warm welcome from Buns, Nottingham Nick & Mitcha at the door! Had a swift one courtesy of Buns and said hello to Mrs Nick and Christopher, Mrs Buns, Airbus, Jonathan and Onionz.

Lord & Lady M then made their entrance followed by motherger & her pal Kirsty.

We then did a bus, yes a BUS back into town from Leith (I had to bail out Lord & Lady M with the required fee as they were still in a state of shock) followed by a short walk across the North Bridge to "The Pleasance" to tie up with our glorious leader Pix!

Nick & gang headed off to take in the sights and sounds closely followed by the Buns's leaving the usual suspects at the bar! We then headed off to the E4 "Udderbelly" venue for more ale, burgers, hot dogs etc. Highlight of this move was motherger being spotted gabbing to Mr Pace from "Hale & Pace".

All too soon it was time for the main group to head off to the Katzenjammer gig in Musselburgh so I had the pleasure of Geraldine & Kirsty's company for a quick drink at the Scotsman Hotel then off back to Motherwell on GNER.

A very enjoyable afternoon out and really great to see you folks again! [^][^]

Regards

John
#134161 by MarkJ
20 Aug 2006, 09:36
Originally posted by JAT74L
Well, would you believe it... I actually turned up for a V-F social!!

Well personally John I do find it hard to believe and we all want photographic evidence!![:w]
Lord & Lady M then made their entrance followed by motherger & her pal Kirsty.

We then did a bus, yes a BUS back into town from Leith (I had to bail out Lord & Lady M with the required fee as they were still in a state of shock)

What - you mean to say that an Edinburgh Omnibus did not take American Express - sheeeesh!!![V]

All too soon it was time for the main group to head off to the Katzenjammer gig in Musselburgh so I had the pleasure of Geraldine & Kirsty's company for a quick drink at the Scotsman Hotel then off back to Motherwell on GNER.

A very enjoyable afternoon out and really great to see you folks again! [^][^]

This was written at 00:39:39 - so a quiet night in then?

[:w]

Glad you all had a great time - wish I could have been there!![:#]
#134162 by iforres1
20 Aug 2006, 09:56
Well done that man[y]
As Mark says we need to see the photos John.

Now that this little run of socials has come to an end I wonder where the next one will be[:?]

Iain
#134163 by MarkJ
20 Aug 2006, 10:11
Well there is:

this

and

this

And surely there will be something at Christmas/ New Year - I mean its not like we usually dont have enough food and drink at that time of the year - a little more wouldn't hurt would it?
#134165 by JAT74L
20 Aug 2006, 11:16
Ooohhh my head hurts....

Impressed though you may be that I turned up yesterday alas the camera was accidentally left at home. Airbus took some phots though so we'll have to wait till he gets home!

John
#134168 by Mavrick
20 Aug 2006, 12:26
Glad you all had a good time,wish I could have been there. :D
#134255 by buns
20 Aug 2006, 22:55
John

It was great to see you again[y][y]

To add to your Report, the remaining gallant V-flyers then made their way across the city (this time by cab[}:)])to see Katzenjammer at the Brunton Theatre. Nick & family joined us there and the duo had pulled in good crowd to see their newly created act.

It was a fabulous evening made all the better by Pix making sure we stayed behind for the after show party, and the cost of the drinks being half of anywhere else in the City[y][y][y]

We were kicked out at closing time[n] and most made it back for a quick night cap at the Malmaison.

As Mrs Buns & I had an early flight, we retired early so we are unaware of any scientific experiments or trips to local chicken shops being undertaken in the wee hours.

It was great to meet up with good friends again and I am sure we will do something similar in the new year

buns
#134256 by MarkJ
20 Aug 2006, 23:01
So we've had the early show from John, the middle act from Buns - now we need the late night exposŽ from someone - HF? Richard? Nick? Pete - come on, one of you must have all the exlicit late night activity!!

Fried chicken? Water rockets? Pumping Sailors? Drunken debauchery? Tell us all......[}:)]
#134272 by onionz
21 Aug 2006, 01:23
Well, Mark, to help you out there, let me tell you what I did next.

With everyone heading back to Malmaison after Katzenjammer, I figured that was pure silliness so went into the city centre with Pete and his mate Tony. We almost certainly did some drinking and hob-nobbing with the stars, and I once again was left with the mssion of getting back to Leith where the hotel is.

This time, I thought I'd give the night bus a go and, unbelievably, I actually managed it (first time in Scotland, bear in mind!), returning to the hotel to find Jonathan playing some kind of "describe the hotel room from the number" game with two staff members. I departed to bed with some haste and caught up with James, Richard and Sarah in the morning. They can add the rest from there.

I did take a picture of myself wandering around Edinburgh looking for the bus (it can get boring, you know). However, looking at the photo now, I've realised it's not exciting, it's not aviation related and it's not going to get posted.
#134286 by HighFlyer
21 Aug 2006, 10:36
Thanks for a fantastic recap John! [y] (and Buns and Jason!)

I can only add to what the rest have said, we had a great time in EDI, and with wonderful company. Katzenjammer on Saturday were fantastic, i'll post up the group shot later, and we made much use of the Brunton theatre bar - i bought a round of four drinks and got change from a fiver!

Richard and I had a lovely Sunday with Jason and James, despite Jason getting out of bed a mere five minutes before check-out. We had a lovely lunch at 'TigerLily', a restaurant that just oozed Clubhouse, and then wandered back down to the town to meet up with Pete in a student-esque bar - where Richard was most unsettled at the unwashed masses around him. We ventured on to Underbelly where we all helped Pete in a fantastic word game called 'Broadway Baby reviews' ... i expect to see my name in print at any day now! A few more alcoholic beverages were consumed and it was soon time to bid farewell to Pete and for the four of us to head back to EDI.

Flights home were good, i know Jason was enthusing over his ... though not as much as he did over the 22N night bus :D Still, the poor chap had to look forward to something after holding us all up at security while having his hair gel and shaving foam confiscated :D

I had a great time in EDI, many thanks to whoever suggested the meet, it was great to see old faces again and great to meet new ones!

Thanks,
Sarah

p.s. John - thank-you for the bus money!!
#134307 by Bazz
21 Aug 2006, 12:02
Sounds like you all had a great time, must make sure I'm free for next year.
#134326 by roadrunner
21 Aug 2006, 14:05
sound like it was a wonderful outing--and very sorry I missed it--although sounds as if we were all at the at the Pleasance at the same time....We ended up being able to squish in some back to back shows courtesy of colleagues who ended up having to leave town before their tix were honored and then caught several more yesterday.
Every time it seemed there might be a window to try to connect with the vflyer contingent, we were too dazzled by the offering fo free tix to something else.

I have now spent 48 hours laughing so hard my ribs hurt and definitely do not need any more adult beverages for a long while!

Looking forward to meeting up with the contingent at another venue sometime in the near futre though.

cheers,
RR
#134349 by Scorpio
21 Aug 2006, 16:28
Dear All,

Thank you very much for a superb weekend.I really enjoyed it.Mega apologies for not saying "goodbye" on the Sunday morning but my pal wanted to head home straightaway so very sorry for missing you all[:#]

I really enjoyed meeting you ( & Mr Paice!) and i hope to come to another event soon.

[:X]
#134377 by Nottingham Nick
21 Aug 2006, 17:58
Just got back to Notts after a great long weekend 'up north'. I would echo what everyone else has said... Edinburgh is a great city at any time, but is really special during the festival, the atmosphere was fantastic.

Great to see everyone again, Katzenjammer were superb again and we had a great time, despite not being able to take full part in the Malmaison side of the events due to us staying out in Musselburgh. :D:)

If the Katzenjammer boys are there next year, we will be back.. and maybe for a little longer this time.

Nick
#134384 by JAT74L
21 Aug 2006, 18:50
And I'll make sure I book tickets for the gig next time too! Nice to see you and the gang again Nick even if only for a short(ish) time!

Regards

John
#135200 by Scorpio
25 Aug 2006, 16:47
Any pics yet??
#135364 by Pete
26 Aug 2006, 22:58
Originally posted by Nottingham Nick

If the Katzenjammer boys are there next year, we will be back.. and maybe for a little longer this time.

Nick

Kevin & Steven are currently investigating the availability of The Gilded Balloon for an extended run next year. They have also asked me to pass on their thanks and appreciation to everyone at V-Flyer who has been so supportive; and if any V-Flyers are at any of their gigs around the country, don't feel shy about saying hello after the show. (They'll be in Bracknell soon - so expect to find me proping up the bar afterwards too!)

A great time in Edinburgh - and for me there's still 3 more days of it. Never been away for so long!

Pete
Virgin Atlantic