A forum for discussion of Social Activities
#158094 by Vegascrazy
01 Feb 2007, 08:12
Sounds great Mat, s-pressobeen & I are really looking forward to it :) Just for clarity, is the idea to arrive on the Saturday morning or the Friday evening? Just thought I should check as you spoke of staying in the Hilton and went on to say "and then on the Saturday" - as though we'll have been there Fri night?

Cheers, J & S
xx
#158104 by Wolves27
01 Feb 2007, 09:37
We'll more than likely go up on the Friday night, stay there Friday night and Saturday night, and travel back Sunday sometime.

Really, We're both very flattered a lot of you want to make it up there (I know, just an excuse for a piss up really [}:)])

Dean
#158108 by Mavrick
01 Feb 2007, 10:10
Congratulation guys. [y]
#158113 by Bazz
01 Feb 2007, 10:30
We may not be able to make it for the Friday, but the Saturday looks good [y] - Piss-up Nah, we just want to give you a good send off!
#158135 by HighFlyer
01 Feb 2007, 11:40
16th June *should* be fine for Richard and I. Would be great to celebrate with you both - and a day out to the Pleasure Beach is a must!

Mat - Can we have T-Shirts for this one too? A 'Fag Hag' theme perhaps ... :D

Thanks,
Sarah
#158137 by fozzyo
01 Feb 2007, 11:44
As long as I can have a "Hag Fag" shirt. hehee
#158524 by JAT74L
03 Feb 2007, 21:46
We'll be on a boat heading for Mexico on that date but have a great time all the same.

Oh, and very best wishes to you both.

Regards

John
#158534 by Bazz
03 Feb 2007, 22:21
Didn't know you did boats as well John? ;)
#158615 by JAT74L
04 Feb 2007, 17:51
Ah yes Bazz, we fancy a 4 night interlude away from Orlando by taking one of the Carnival tubs out of Tampa during the summer hol. You know, since having a wee shot of driving the big glass bottomed boat out of Key West in '05 I've been "hooked"!!

(Apologies in advance to Jeremy!)

Regards

John

John
#159588 by Vegascrazy
11 Feb 2007, 20:40
Hi everyone :) Steve & I are just exploring travel options for the "hag" in Blackpool. For us southerners we're most likely to go for a Ryanair single from Stansted to Blackpool on the Fri eve for 99p + tax - total £23 (leaves STN at 20:40 & gets into BLK at 21:35) Coming home on the Sunday the time of the Ryanair flight is crap (too late with work the next day!) so we're looking at Virgin Trains 1st class back to Euston - apex fare £33 - leaving around lunchtime.

Anyone else interested in a similar formula? We could have a party at STN on the Fri eve and a ball in VT 1st on the way home :D ?

Cheers,
J&S
#159623 by Pete
11 Feb 2007, 23:09
Where are you seeing the Virgin fares? I'm searching their website and its says you can only check up to three months in advance.

Like the plan of Friday - Sunday. ;)
#159624 by Vegascrazy
11 Feb 2007, 23:22
Originally posted by pixuk
Where are you seeing the Virgin fares? I'm searching their website and its says you can only check up to three months in advance.

Like the plan of Friday - Sunday. ;)

You're right Pete, apol's for not being clear. Due to the three month rule I plugged in Sun 6th May - I'm sure it'll be similar on Sundays in June [y]
#159658 by Wolves27
12 Feb 2007, 12:09
Well I've just rang the Hotel direct, the Diamond desk and reservations to enquire about a group discount.
Absolutely useless the lot of them (are they outsourcing from Centurion?)
They were all being vauge, wanting to know what it was for, how many rooms and according to the hotel its too early to work out a discount rate anyway [?]

Still, just checking the hilton website the chepest rooms I'm fiding are £109.50 for B&B and Evening Meal [:$] first night - two night minimum stay.
Basic price for an advance purchase, no two night deal is £124 a night.

We'll be going up on the train or car on Friday and too leaving Sunday afternoon sometime I guess.

My experience of going out for a meal in Blackpool has never stretched further than Fish and Chips and curry. If we decide to go to Funny Girls, they have a restaurant.

Dean
#159685 by Pete
12 Feb 2007, 17:28
Just been doing some investigating of trains from Reading - Blackpool. Virgin do the route all the way to Preston, then it's just a short hop on the local train.

However, looking at comparitive fares (since you can't search more than 12 weeks out), for a Friday night up, and Sunday afternoon back, cheapest return in standard is £72.10, and the cheapest in first is £244.00.

Using the book-two-singles trick, standard class goes up to £78 (taking the same trains, but with better availability I might be able to snag £42), and first is exactly the same at £244.00

But... splitting the journey at Birmingham New Street (which basically means staying on the same train, but buying tickets for the Reading - Birmingham, Birmingham - Preston and Preston-Blacpool bit separately), the standard class comes down to £41.70 (booked as singles) or First is £131.10 (again, booked as singles at the lowest available fare)

Now, because I'm looking at a weekend in April rather than the actual dates in June, these won't be the final fares. But it is very interesting that exactly the same journey can be nearly half the price if you split the route up. You don't need to get off the train at the points you're ticketed in between - as long as the train stops there, this is a perfectly legal way to get much cheaper fares ;)

Pete
#159687 by fozzyo
12 Feb 2007, 17:45
And on the Sunday you can buy a Standard to First upgrade for £15 each way ... though if you get two tickets for the return you may need two First Upgrades. These can be bought in advance or on the train.
#159689 by Pete
12 Feb 2007, 18:02
Ah, it sure is a minefield... I've put a date in my diary to check the prices 12 weeks out from June 16th ;)
#159726 by Vegascrazy
12 Feb 2007, 22:29
Ah, it sure is a minefield... I've put a date in my diary to check the prices 12 weeks out from June 16th ;)

You can say that again Pete! I couldn't work out where you were getting the high fares from but I've looked again and can see it makes a world of difference plugging in Reading as the destination on the Sunday as opposed to London Euston. The latter offers up a "value advance first single C" fare for £32 on Sundays through April and going into May. However on the identical dates it only offers up a "first open single" for £122 if you type in Reading.

Funny old world when, in the case of me & Steve, our outward journey by air comes in nearly ten pounds less than the rail journey back, and that's when the rail ticket is only £32!! [:w]
#159775 by Vegascrazy
13 Feb 2007, 08:07
Ryanair have just dropped their STN-BLK fare from £0.99 to £0.39 - time to book me thinks ;) (Shame they charge £2 for on-line check-in!)
#159786 by Pete
13 Feb 2007, 09:24
Pity I live on the wrong side of London. There's no Blackpool flight from Luton, Heathrow or Gatwick [:(]
#159983 by RichardMannion
14 Feb 2007, 05:18
Pity I live on the wrong side of London. There's no Blackpool flight from Luton, Heathrow or Gatwick [:(]

Given the prices for rail.... wonder how much it would be for our own charter flight :)
#160138 by RichardMannion
15 Feb 2007, 02:42
The De Vere Heron's Reach is not too shabby, prob best hotel in BPl - showing at £148 total for 2 nights for the fri and Sat nights inc breakfast.

http://www.devere.co.uk

Thanks,
Richard
#160151 by honey lamb
15 Feb 2007, 09:03
Originally posted by RichardMannion
The De Vere Heron's Reach is not too shabby, prob best hotel in BPl - showing at £148 total for 2 nights for the fri and Sat nights inc breakfast.

Thanks,
Richard

Except it is a tad off the beaten track and a bus ride or two to the Promenade
#160161 by Wolves27
15 Feb 2007, 09:39
The DeVere does look nice, but yeah, thats quite a schlep from the promenarde.
The other grand old dame is the Imperial Hotel. Never stayed there, but I know thats where Maggie used to stay when the Tories had their conference in the town :D

Dean
#160416 by shazam
17 Feb 2007, 10:33
Originally posted by Wolves27
The DeVere does look nice, but yeah, thats quite a schlep from the promenarde.
The other grand old dame is the Imperial Hotel. Never stayed there, but I know thats where Maggie used to stay when the Tories had their conference in the town :D

Dean
I wouldn't Dean. Trust me. S
#160417 by shazam
17 Feb 2007, 10:37
Originally posted by RichardMannion

Thanks,
Richard
Without a doubt the best. I haven't used the rooms, but have had several meetings there and a couple of Christmas parties. Nice hotel and nice gym, ridiculous bar prices though (11.50 for 2 vodka and coke!!) and it would only cost about 7 or 8 quid for a cab into town.
S
Virgin Atlantic