A forum for discussion of Social Activities
#17522 by Nottingham Nick
27 Jan 2007, 19:42
Split from the build up thread, and moved to Social Events - Reports.

Everyone is here now. The bar is bulging, as the football is on the massive TV.

Ben apparently won the bowling, after flying in from the US for 24 hours to attend, but a certain nautical gentleman by the name of Jeremy is demanding a recount.;)

Ben is also modelling Christmas bathrobe that US golds received. [:I]

It is already loud, and has all the makings of a first class V-Flyer event.

Too many people are armed with cameras, so expect dodgy photographs to start appearing in a few hours time. [}:)]

Nick
#157274 by Bazz
27 Jan 2007, 19:55
The room is all set up, sound checks done, last minute tweaks performed so already for the kick off at 19.30. Katzenjammer have got their kit fine tuned and Buns is doing the disco and Nick is Raffle Master Extraordinaire. Pete has bought along his iPod (sorry Reefa no videos ;) with a play list pre loaded in case Buns runs out of music.

Ben did better bowling backwards between his legs than I did the conventional way. A well deserved victory, Jeremy wasn't quite on form today and now must relinquish his title. I am sure there will be a rematch.

Well, time to get off to the bar and beat the rush...
#157306 by Nottingham Nick
28 Jan 2007, 02:11
The party is still going strong at 1.10am.

I have wimped out, Ben left early - but had a good excuse.
Jeremy left early without one. [8D]

There are a lot of the true party animals downstairs upholding the standards set at previous V-Flyer events. ;)[:I]

Nick
#157311 by Littlejohn
28 Jan 2007, 09:19
Must admit I was indeed the first to bed, but boy is my head feeling good today! And I did have a good excuse, but just didn't tell Nick. And no, I was not sulking at being beeten.

Nobody else has managed to surface yet, and I have to say Pete was very noisy when he came to bed [:o]

I demand a rematch - same place, same time, 2008.
#157313 by honey lamb
28 Jan 2007, 09:27
What! 8:30 on Sunday and still no photos! Tsk! Tsk! You're slacking [V]
#157314 by Littlejohn
28 Jan 2007, 09:30
I believe the British Board of Film Censors has to approve them before publication.....

PS - KJ were very good [y]
#157317 by MarkJ
28 Jan 2007, 10:11
Yes, this was another top event and a really big thank you must go to Barry for organising the whole thing, Buns and Sarah for getting the bowling together and Nick for organising and running the raffle. A good time was had by one and all.[y][oo]

I got to the hotel at about 11 ish having picked up Geraldine, James and Ben from LHR - I had been out the night before and used Nicks Òfree busÓ wheeze to get from the tube back to my hotel Ð unfortunately I was a little tipsy and the bus took an hour to come ( it was 0030 though!!) so I did have a little bit of a headache! Ben said the immigration guy at LHR quizzed him as to the ÒshortnessÓ of his visit Ð I guess sometimes explaining V-flyer stuff sounds weird Ð might be easier to say you are coming over to raid a bank!! I especially liked the question he was asked ÐÒand is there anything else you would like to tell me?Ó[:?]

Anyway Ð we settled into the hotel Ð rooms were ready which was cool and got set up in the bar Ð think we all had a nice cup of coffee but Ger might have got into the Southern Comfort and Coke!! [}:)]

Various V-flyers then arrived through the morning and we set up camp in the bar and the usual chat, gossip, banter and good conversation began. Sarah had suggested getting there for lunch so that we could be at the bowling alley by 2pm Ð so she got there about 1.45. Pete Scarlett had flown back from HKG for the event and Iain had come over for a week so it was great to see everyone there from near( Barry) and far (I think you won that award Ben)

Jeremy suggested a nice leisurely stroll down to the bowling as it was a glorious day but by the time everyone was assembled it was a bit late so we tootled down in our cars Ð sat nav at the ready Ð turns out it was straight down the road so no problems there.

Think we arrived on ÒDisneyÓ day or something as all the staff were dressed up as characters Ð we were checked in by Snow White and we got our shoes from Captain Jack Sparrow!!:D

We were 3 teams of five the competition soon got going Ð Sailor wasnÕt going to relinquish his crown easily but Ben Ð even though he had had a long flight gave him a severe case of Òwhoop assÓ!!We were gonna call our team "Team BA" coz there were so many strikes!!! [:w] Hey and even Richard got strike!! The food was a bit of an issue though and after 2 games of bowling the place still hadn't been able to cook and serve some burgers Ð so Francesca Sarah et al duly got a refund Ð slow wasnÕt the word!![V]

So back to the hotel where Ben proudly wore his VS Òpimp robeÓ to signify that he was numero uno bowlmeister. Some debate did ensue though when Jeremy got the score cards and the alley had added the scores together from the 2 games Ð so I guess in terms of consistency over 2 legs Jeremy had achieved a good score Ð but sorry mate, you will just have to make do with this honourable mention!!

Of course drink flowed thru the afternoon and the conversation continued. The monster TV in the bar was fired up to see Man Utd score 4 times but only be allowed 2!! But hey ho through to the next round in the cup!!

The evening events started in the function room at around 730 and we were entertained royally by Katzenjammer Ð if anyone gets a chance to see them then they are not only brilliant musicians but very funny. It was great stuff and they duly obliged with 2 encores Ð but we still havenÕt seen Sailors hornpipe!!![}:)]

Nick then took us through the raffle as the buffet was served Ð there was a good spread of both food and prizes. I thought a fight was going to break out because of a particularly nice set of Moulton Brown products was on offer!! Maybe this should be an auction next time!!!!

Katzenjammer then played another couple of numbers for us to round of the entertainment and then we got stuck into to some more drinking. And can I say that DJ "MC BUNS" then spun a few discs and kept the party going til the wee hours - resplendent in his black tie and tux!! Good one Buns!!![y][^]

I left the party at around 2am and must admit I slept like a log!!

Off down to brekky in a bit, its very quiet in the corridors so maybe everyone else is having a ÒnecessaryÓ lie in!!

Thanks again to all who organised the event Ð see you all for the Riverboat on 14th July!!!

[y][y][y]
#157318 by VS045
28 Jan 2007, 10:48
Thanks, Mark[y]

Can't wait to see the photos;)

VS.
#157326 by Vegascrazy
28 Jan 2007, 12:58
Just a quick note to say a huge thank you to Barry, Andy & everyone else involved in organising last night - it really was brilliant fun. So nice to meet more of you all as well :) Steve's now "hooked" and in the process of registering for membership - expect a posting from him later! Thanks again everyone, roll on the RBS in July [y]
#157327 by Decker
28 Jan 2007, 13:06
So gutted I mssed it but so pleased Mrs D had such a fab time! Roll on the Riverboat! So VC as a VF virgin - weirder or less weird? ;)
#157330 by Scorpio
28 Jan 2007, 13:23
hello guys!

Just wanted to say a big thank you for a smashing evening.

I am currently sat in dimaond lounge with mitchja with my 3rd cup of coffee and thankfully the hangover is relenting!

(i`m amazed that i even managed to eat breakfast this morning)

got to bed last night at 4.30am so really tired and looking forward to going home to get a good nights sleep[|)]
#157332 by s-pressobeen
28 Jan 2007, 13:31
Hello folks it's me :D AKA Steve or Mr Vegascrazy. Yes, I've finally gone and signed up so I can keep up with what's going on.

What can I say? Last night was an excellent bash and I now have a thumping headache to prove it!

Thanks to all the organisers for such a good job. I look forward to the next event![8D]

xx
#157334 by HighFlyer
28 Jan 2007, 13:39
Steve - great to have you with us, and good to meet you and James at long last. You can attest to the fact that we are not all nuts. Well .... not *all* of us :D

Thank-you Barry, Buns, Nick and everyone else who played a part in organising the evening, it was a great event as always! Now, who has the photos!! :D

Thanks,
Sarah
#157335 by Mavrick
28 Jan 2007, 13:39
Just wanted to add my thank you to Bazz, Nick and everyone else involved for organising another brilliant social[^][^] I had a lot of fun and Katzenjammer was off the hook [y] they are very good and a great laugh too and as Mark, said if you ever get the chance to see them make sure you do,It was nice to meet a few new faces Vegascrazy,Steve,Geraldine, James,Mrs D and Ben it was fun hanging out with you guys & gals, Mrs Buns it was good chatting to you too and DJ Buns, thank you for the music, Jeremy and all the my bowling team mates as a team we absolutely decimate the opposition.[^] [^]

After a long flight from HKG, and god knows how many Corona extra I crawl up the stairs around 2am and hit the bed and I was out in a flash, looking forward to the RBS, in July.[y]:D

PS:I will be playing my newly acquired Xbox all day today.:D :D
#157341 by Bazz
28 Jan 2007, 14:06
Welcome Steve, it was great to meet you and James last night, glad you enjoyed the "do".

I would like to add my thanks to the above, thanks to Sarah for pulling together the bowling, buns for the DJ, Nick for the Raffle, Katz for a fantastic show (yet again), Pete for making it all possible. Finally and most importantly, thanks to all of you for coming and making the whole event the great success it was, without your support we would not have the fantastic camaraderie that we have on V-Flyer. [y][y][y]
#157343 by Nottingham Nick
28 Jan 2007, 14:15
I will add my thanks to Barry and everyone who made it a special evening again.

Thanks to everyone who donated raffle prizes and bought tickets. The Moulton Brown set that Jerseyboy donated was a special hit and nearly caused (good natured) fisticuffs. [8D] Thanks Wayne. [y]

The raffle raised just over £200 - all of which will go into the V-Flyer coffers. [8D]

Finally a massive thank you to Kevin and Steven aka Katzenjammer. Two superbly talented musicians and brilliant performers. We have seen them six times now I think, and they have been superb every time.

Nick
#157346 by mitchja
28 Jan 2007, 14:56
Just to add my thanks to Bazz for arranging another excellent V-Flyer social [y] [y]

A great night was had by all :D

Regards
#157349 by MarkJ
28 Jan 2007, 15:10
Originally posted by mavrick

.... and god knows how many Corona extra!!.....

About 26 I would estimate..........[:w]
#157355 by Littlejohn
28 Jan 2007, 17:31
Originally posted by s-pressobeen
Hello folks it's me :D AKA Steve or Mr Vegascrazy.

'S-pressobeen'[?] How does that tie up with our conversation this morning. I thought you were going to register as 'Chief Moderator' or something more saucy?:D
#157361 by s-pressobeen
28 Jan 2007, 18:03
Hi Sailor:) Yeah I was trying to think of something more controversial but then I decided that I didn't want to get labelled as a trouble maker:D ... well not to begin with anyway:)
#157364 by Francesca
28 Jan 2007, 18:24
Thanks to everyone for organising such a fun afternoon/evening.

I had a great time and am now the proud owner of a rather swish Molton Brown set - thank you very much Jerseyboy[^][^]
#157365 by ChuckC
28 Jan 2007, 18:24
Those great unwashed who couldn't make it to the PCP are begging the attendees to please, cough up the pictures!!!!

Chuck-
#157367 by HighFlyer
28 Jan 2007, 18:28
Originally posted by Mrs Decker
I had a great time and am now the proud owner of a rather swish Molton Brown set - thank you very much Jerseyboy[^][^]

For the moment ..... [}:)]

Thanks,
Sarah
#157368 by Wolves27
28 Jan 2007, 18:28
Finally home after dropping Mrs D home (and supplied with a much needed restorative lemongrass and camomile tea) then lunch in Nando's in Slough and the schlep back up the M40.

Again a fantastic evening [y] and great to see all the usual crowd, and meet new friends. I like with every meet we do we get a few new core attendee's. Hopefully see you in July, Steve, James and Geraldine..

We both managed to stay up till half three..We seem do to well at the Thames, normally I'm crashing and burning by half one :)
A big thanks to Katzenjammer, for again being very funny and great entertainers (and sticking around for the piss up afterwards).

As always, big thanks to Bazz, Mix Master Buns, Highflyer, Nick and Pete for all your hard work in making the evening so much fun.

Special nods to Ben for being young enough and mad enough to have the energy to fly across the Atlantic for 24 hours for a party and haircut [oo][oo] I admire your commitment to the cause!

Great night everybody and see you all soon!

Dean
#157370 by Vegascrazy
28 Jan 2007, 18:32
Originally posted by Wolves27
Hopefully see you in July, Steve, James and Geraldine..

...you'll be seeing us before July, Steve & I are both "on" for Blackpool in June! :)
Virgin Atlantic