A forum for discussion of Social Activities
#180904 by Howard Long
11 Aug 2007, 20:02
Folks

In an effort to try to involve as many as possible concurrently, I have booked the Bal Number One for eight at 6pm on Saturday.

Sorry if this upsets anyone else's arrangements, in the ned it was down to restaurant and people availability.

Of course if anyone would care to do Martin Wishart too at some point, let me know.

Cheers, Howard
#180909 by RichardMannion
11 Aug 2007, 23:07
Originally posted by Howard Long
Folks

In an effort to try to involve as many as possible concurrently, I have booked the Bal Number One for eight at 6pm on Saturday.

Sorry if this upsets anyone else's arrangements, in the ned it was down to restaurant and people availability.

Of course if anyone would care to do Martin Wishart too at some point, let me know.

Cheers, Howard

Hi Howard,

I'm going to give the dinner a miss, I don't want to run into the Tasting Menu issue again; it's not fair on you culinary people to miss out due to my limited palate. ;)

Lunch menu at Martin Wishart looked okay, but they don't serve it on a Saturday. Could I suggest this place, we ate there last year and it was really good:
http://www.tigerlilyedinburgh.co.uk/foodanddrink.cfm - they do afternoon tea too (for the ponces). :)

Thanks,
Richard
#180912 by buns
12 Aug 2007, 00:17
Originally posted by Decker
K I'm definitely up for something but I have Kit and the Widow at around 14:00 on Saturday. I would have thought Mr and Mrs Buns would be up for it as well - jet setting gourmets that they are...

How perceptive you are Mr D;);)

We are both happy to go with the flow. Mindful that mnay of us have reservations for Pam ann, does this fit in???

(Having been enjoying the culinary delights of campsite cooking for the past few days, i am worried my taste buds might not be back on form though[:w][:w])

buns
#180913 by Decker
12 Aug 2007, 00:50
Howard has timed it so that we can fall out of the Bal into the arms of Pam - thus ensuring we find her REALLY funny :)
#181194 by Howard Long
15 Aug 2007, 16:22
Folks

I have rented a people carrier in case anyone would like a ride to/from Katzenjammer on Friday evening from the Bal.

One other thing - does anyone know how long the Katzenjammer show lasts? Wondering about maybe a post-theatre something or other.

Howard
#181195 by Howard Long
15 Aug 2007, 16:30
Originally posted by RichardMannion
Could I suggest this place, we ate there last year and it was really good:
http://www.tigerlilyedinburgh.co.uk/foodanddrink.cfm - they do afternoon tea too (for the ponces). :)

Right next door to my Edinburgh office too. Strangely, I've never been inside.

H.
#181197 by Nottingham Nick
15 Aug 2007, 17:38

I have rented a people carrier in case anyone would like a ride to/from Katzenjammer on Friday evening from the Bal.

Sorry, Howard, I am, confused. I thought the Bal was Saturday before PamAnn. [?]

I will be in Edinburgh most of the day on Friday before Katzenjammer. Last year we all adjourned to the bar in the theatre post show where Kevin and Steven joined us, I seem to recall the show finished about 9.30pm / 10pm, but the evening became a bit of a blur later on, so stand to be corrected.

Do we have a rendezvous point time for Friday at all? The Balmoral would seem the obvious place, if someone can suggest a time and suitable bar. [:w]

I know Buns won't arrive till fairly late, but others should be there earlier.

Nick
#181200 by HighFlyer
15 Aug 2007, 17:49
IIRC, we land about 4.35pm into EDI (Decker?) so we should hopefully be firmly ensconced in the Balmoral by 5.30-6pm. What time will everybody else be arriving? Do we venture out of the Balmoral? Or meet up there for a small tipple at the hotel bar?

Thanks,
Sarah
#181206 by Howard Long
15 Aug 2007, 19:29
Originally posted by Nottingham Nick
Sorry, Howard, I am, confused. I thought the Bal was Saturday before PamAnn. [?]

A number of us are staying at the Bal. I'm in town from early Friday as I've managed to fit in some work up there then. I guess that being the case, I was offering to ferry folks to Musselborough and back again for the 19:30 Katzenjammer.

I will be in Edinburgh most of the day on Friday before Katzenjammer. Last year we all adjourned to the bar in the theatre post show where Kevin and Steven joined us, I seem to recall the show finished about 9.30pm / 10pm, but the evening became a bit of a blur later on, so stand to be corrected.

I wasn't sure if we were returning to the city centre first prior to a wee dram, but the offer of a lift back is there.

Do we have a rendezvous point time for Friday at all? The Balmoral would seem the obvious place, if someone can suggest a time and suitable bar. [:w]

I guess that's what I'm angling for! The Champagne/whisky bar (aka the Palm Bar or something similar) in the Bal is a bit formal and rather expensive. There is a fairly normal boozer in there too, although I haven't been in since it was refitted around Easter.

H
#181209 by Nottingham Nick
15 Aug 2007, 19:48
Sorry Howard .. my fault for not reading the full thread properly. [:I]

If everyone is congregating somewhere near the Bal, before going out to Musselburgh, that sounds a great idea. We just need to firm up time and place. Not knowing the area at all, I will just do as I am told. ;)
#181212 by JAT74L
15 Aug 2007, 20:02
I'm really at loss as to what everyone is doing. Was hoping to pop through for a wee drink like last time but it seems much more complicated this year!!

Regards

John
#181213 by McCoy
15 Aug 2007, 20:21
Originally posted by JAT74L
I'm really at loss as to what everyone is doing. Was hoping to pop through for a wee drink like last time but it seems much more complicated this year!!

Indeed John! I think I'll find a pub for the weekend - tell you all where I'll be, and if anyone joins me for a quick half'a'shandy, they'll be rewarded by some interesting banter about Edinburgh, a few gory medical stories, and a complimentary nip of an impressive whisky.
#181222 by Mrs Buns
15 Aug 2007, 21:07
Originally posted by HighFlyer
IIRC, we land about 4.35pm into EDI (Decker?) so we should hopefully be firmly ensconced in the Balmoral by 5.30-6pm. What time will everybody else be arriving? Do we venture out of the Balmoral? Or meet up there for a small tipple at the hotel bar?

Thanks,
Sarah

I will be getting to the Bal around 2.30-3.00pm so I will around to fit in with everyone else

Mrs Buns
#181223 by buns
15 Aug 2007, 21:07
Originally posted by Nottingham Nick

I know Buns won't arrive till fairly late, but others should be there earlier.

Nick

With possible Heathrow congestion, it is likely I will be making my way direct from the airport to the Show

buns
#181224 by buns
15 Aug 2007, 21:11
I'm really at loss as to what everyone is doing. Was hoping to pop through for a wee drink like last time but it seems much more complicated this year!

Regards

John

John

I agree it is getting a little confusing[:?][:?]

I think that it is Katzenjammer on the Friday night.

Saturday at leisure (i.e. seeing what else can be fitted in[}:)])

Saturday evening, those staying at the Bal having a meal then off to Pam ann.

By the looks of it, Mrs Buns & I could meet up for a drink during the day as I think Nick is heading back on Saturday morning[:#]

I will send you a PM

buns
#181233 by Howard Long
15 Aug 2007, 22:44
Originally posted by buns4vs
I'm really at loss as to what everyone is doing. Was hoping to pop through for a wee drink like last time but it seems much more complicated this year!

Regards

John

John

I agree it is getting a little confusing[:?][:?]

I think that it is Katzenjammer on the Friday night.

Saturday at leisure (i.e. seeing what else can be fitted in[}:)])

Saturday evening, those staying at the Bal having a meal then off to Pam ann.

By the looks of it, Mrs Buns & I could meet up for a drink during the day as I think Nick is heading back on Saturday morning[:#]

I will send you a PM

buns

OK it seems I have been trying to test the water and then try to be overbearing for which I appreciate frustration!

Stake in the ground. 5pm, Friday, the NB Pub at the Bal. There, I've done it. Now feel free to shoot me.

Sorry, H
#181263 by HighFlyer
16 Aug 2007, 11:18
Howard, that kind of organisation skill is exactly what we all need! We may be later than 5pm, going by traffic, BA domestic's usual delays and checking in fiasco's, but will endeavour to rendevouz with you, Mrs Buns, and whoever else is there around 5-6ish.

Really looking forward to it now!

Cheers,
Sarah
#181265 by Decker
16 Aug 2007, 11:50
I'm being picked up at 17:30 from the Bal so will hopefully be able to get a swift one in before departing for the Bein Inn...
#181288 by Pete
16 Aug 2007, 20:05
Suggestions for a few drinking establishments at the heart of the festival, which only exist for the month of August;

Pleasance Courtyard, Pleasance. If it's sunny, it's a great place to be. If the weather turns, it's one to avoid.
E4 UdderBELLY, Bristo Square. Definately a novel location, in the shadow of a huge upside-down purple cow. Again a bit al-fresco, so not as much fun if it's cold.
C SoCo Urban Garden, Cowgate. The new place it town for this year, in the hole that was left in the old town when the Gilded Balloon burnt down in 2002. Champagne & Oyster tent, soft furnishings and really rather nice in the evenings with all the lights on around the building site it stands in.
Spiegel Garden, George Square. There's something rather decadant about the Spiegel Garden. And they do Leffe Blonde on draught. Yum.
Broadway Bar @ C SoCo, Chambers Street. Sponsored by BroadwayBaby.com, a late night watering hole 'til 5am. VIP passes required to get in after 11.30pm - but if you need one, give me a shout.

Pete
#181289 by buns
16 Aug 2007, 20:20
Originally posted by Decker
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=6LDVQkVYiHs

hehehehehe

:D:D:D:D:D

I vaguely remember the socks, but who is the geezer playing the piano[}:)][}:)][}:)]

Have a great time at the show

buns
#181291 by RichardMannion
16 Aug 2007, 20:51
Howard, I'm happy to drive the people carrier back from the Katzenjammer gig if you want so you can have a drink (AmEx insurance will cover), as if I remember the bar at the theatre was stupidly cheap and most of the V-Flyers were battered come home time....

Thanks,
Richard
#181293 by buns
16 Aug 2007, 20:54
Originally posted by RichardMannion
if I remember the bar at the theatre was stupidly cheap and most of the V-Flyers were battered come home time....

Thanks,
Richard

Whatever do you mean[:w][:w]

Anyway, Mrs Nick is unable to join us this time

Now i really am looking forward to the weekend[y][y][y]

buns
Virgin Atlantic