A forum for discussion of Social Activities
#179662 by RichardMannion
30 Jul 2007, 00:18
Originally posted by JAT74L
for a quick drink?

John

Now John, you know that is an oxymoron when it comes to V-Flyer.... [:p]

Hope we can all meet up though for a drink (even if it is Diet Coke for me...)!
#179724 by McCoy
30 Jul 2007, 18:02
Count me in for that drink, guys.. sometime on Sat 18th.
I won't be joining you for Pam Ann (as I'm seeing her next Monday) but should be around to show you the 'proper' drinking holes in Auld Reekie..

Perhaps there's a 'ringleader' whom I could give my mobile number to?
#180178 by McCoy
03 Aug 2007, 15:59
Woah... surreal evening last night.
We went out to see a couple of shows at the Pleasance, and walked past the giant purple 'E4 Udderbelly' inflatable cow, en route.

And lo, the purple velvet suit clad musicians from the E4 trailers were on the pavement, with their instruments, playing that famous E4 jingle for the passers by! FABULOUS!

EDITED to add a piccy!!

[img]http://www.s-o-c.org.uk/images/e4boys.jpg[/img]

PS. I don't think there's a photo of me on this site, so for those who may want to meet avoid me next weekend, click here for a piccy!
#180180 by Pete
03 Aug 2007, 17:35
I haven't been sober since Monday.

It's great here... hic.
#180194 by buns
03 Aug 2007, 20:09
Originally posted by Pete
I haven't been sober since Monday.

It's great here... hic.

Leave some for us poor people who will not be there until the 17th[}:)]:D[}:)]

Tickets just arrived[^][^][^][^][^][^][^]
For Katzenjammer we are in B15 &16, for Pam Ann, I guess we all have to get there together

Really starting to look forward to it now

buns
#180215 by ChuckC
04 Aug 2007, 13:18
Sorry to be missing all the, er, entertainment.
Chuck-
#180265 by HighFlyer
05 Aug 2007, 13:48
Got our Pam Ann tickets, still waiting on Katzenjammer.

Very much looking forward to EDI now!

Thanks,
Sarah
#180345 by RichardMannion
06 Aug 2007, 15:44
Right, I have two rooms available at the Balmoral in Edinburgh for Friday 17th - Sunday 19th August. 2 Nights in total. They are held at a special rate I get, £135/night - compared to the normal rate of £400/nt (and it is currently showing the cheapest room at £995/night).

http://www.thebalmoralhotel.com/

If you would like one of the rooms, then let me know before I cancel them at the end of the week.

Thanks,
Richard
#180395 by McCoy
06 Aug 2007, 23:42
Just back from the Pam Ann show...

You'll love it! Especially if there are Easyjet crew in the audience..

Tip #1. If you want to sit in first class (first two rows) - and be part of the show (!) - start queueing at Assembly around 2030.
#180396 by preiffer
06 Aug 2007, 23:47
Originally posted by RichardMannion
(and it is currently showing the cheapest room at £995/night).
£995/night, and you STILL have to pay £25 to use the gym! [:0]
#180494 by Howard Long
07 Aug 2007, 18:47
Originally posted by preiffer
Originally posted by RichardMannion
(and it is currently showing the cheapest room at £995/night).
£995/night, and you STILL have to pay £25 to use the gym! [:0]

I've never had to pay for the gym at the Balmoral - have I missed something?

Cheers, Howard
#180513 by buns
07 Aug 2007, 22:17
Originally posted by McCoy

PS. I don't think there's a photo of me on this site, so for those who may want to meet avoid me next weekend, click here for a piccy!

Look forward to meeting up with you - I notice in the photo that you have an empty glass. Your glass may not stay empty when in the company of V-Flyers;)

Looks like the weekend will be fun

buns
#180562 by Pete
08 Aug 2007, 16:12
Pam Ann was very funny, and very, very rude.

Look out for the Marks & Spencer style Virgin Atlantic parody!
#180576 by RichardMannion
08 Aug 2007, 17:19
Pam Ann was very funny, and very, very rude.

Oooh, sounds excellent. Bring on next Saturday!
#180611 by McCoy
08 Aug 2007, 21:28
I'd already seen it on YouTube... but hearing - and watching - an entire audience GASPING for oxygen from laughing so hard, made it even more hilarious!!!
#180782 by Howard Long
10 Aug 2007, 13:58
Anyone intersted in a quality dinner on Friday 17 or Saturday 18, or lunch on Saturday 18 or Sunday 19?

I have some places in mind, but let me know and if there's interest I'll book a table, assuming there's still availability of course!

The locations I can personally recommend (I've been to each of the following at least three times, some on many more occasions) are:

The Kitchin (Leith), good value, the foie gras with tatties and neaps is great, as is the pork and langoustine, M*, a new entrant on the Edinburgh restaurant scene, http://www.thekitchin.com/

Martin Wishart (Leith), legendary tasting menu, M*, some dishes very elaborate (esp. in the tasting menu), lunch menu much more down to Earth http://www.martin-wishart.co.uk/

Number One (At the Bal), not to be confused with the awful Hadrians at the same location, Number One is only open for dinner, M*, classic service, classic cookinghttp://www.thebalmoralhotel.com/dining/

Oloroso (George St), a bit up themselves, food and service definitely not M*, but the view is great from the rooftop balcony overlooking the castle on one side and the Forth on the other - excellent for a lunchtime drink/cocktails but I seriously recommend getting there early for a seat if there weather's good, i.e. before noon! Best food IMHO is to go for the grill menu where you choose your cut and have it done your way with your choice of sauce. http://www.oloroso.co.uk/

Howard
#180787 by Decker
10 Aug 2007, 14:29
Oh my.... Martin Wishart tasting with paired wines looks incredible. Wonder if we can fit it in before Pam Ann?
#180795 by Howard Long
10 Aug 2007, 15:24
Originally posted by Decker
Oh my.... Martin Wishart tasting with paired wines looks incredible. Wonder if we can fit it in before Pam Ann?

Might be tight - looks like dinner starts at 7pm there, and then there's a ten or fifteen minute cab ride to the venue where ISTR it starts at 8:55pm.

Alternatively, if Saturday dinner is the suggestion, Number One or The Kitchin might work as they open at 6pm.

Or, for Friday dinner, perhaps after the Katzenjammer show, the last orders are 10pm for The Kitchin, Number One and Matin Wischart, and 10:30pm for Oloroso. The only thing here is getting back from Musselborough, but I was considering renting a people carrier.

I am not sure when everyone is there so I'm not sure of the best day or time.

Cheers, Howard
#180800 by McCoy
10 Aug 2007, 17:10
Originally posted by Decker
Oh my.... Martin Wishart tasting with paired wines looks incredible.
It is.

[8D]
#180805 by Howard Long
10 Aug 2007, 17:48
Folks

I have checked further. Here is the availability based on a table of eight, and taking into consideration the Katzenjammer on 17 August @ 19:30 and Pam Ann on 18 August @ 20:55

Martin Wishart:
Lunch Saturday 12 noon (full a la carte and tasting menus also available)

The Kitchin:
Zip, nadda, rien.

Number One:
Dinner Saturday 6pm

Oloroso:
Lunch Saturday 12 noon
(also available at Oloroso is private dining for a minimum of 10 @ £45 each on a set menu for dinner on Friday, lunch and dinner on Saturday)

I have taken the liberty of booking both Martin Wishart for lunch on Saturday and Number One for dinner on Saturday with the proviso that both are provisional and I will call them back within 24 hours to confirm one way or another.

So I guess the day will be Saturday, but the question is now, a long lunch at Martin Wishart or dinner at Number One? Please let me know PDQ if you are interested!

Howard
#180872 by JAT74L
11 Aug 2007, 11:05
Lunch on the Sat sounds good for me.

John
#180890 by Decker
11 Aug 2007, 16:44
K I'm definitely up for something but I have Kit and the Widow at around 14:00 on Saturday. I would have thought Mr and Mrs Buns would be up for it as well - jet setting gourmets that they are...
#180892 by Nottingham Nick
11 Aug 2007, 16:48
Sorry I won't be able to make any Saturday plans, as I will be jetting south around lunchtime. [n]

Looking forward to Friday though. :D

Nick
Virgin Atlantic