A forum for discussion of Social Activities
#231534 by Jonathan
14 Jun 2004, 17:48
Will all attending please aim to get to the Thames Hotel by 19:00 (earlier if you are checking in) there is a large car park at the rear of the hotel and we will meet in the bar (naturally [;)] ).
The boat will depart Maidenhead riverside at 19:30 prompt.

Bazz

It is still not too late to join the fun, if you are still debating email or PM me by Thursday latest (for catering) we still have room available.

Bazz.

Date: 25th September, time: 19:30 to 23:30 hours, venue: Maidenhead.

Knowing how v-flyer's love upgrades, I have got our vessel upgraded to a Steamer the 'SL Belle' a beautiful wooden boat!

I don't have time to post a picture before I fly to LAX so here link to the website, please navigate to SL Belle for pics, etc.,

This event is for v-flyers, their partners and/or guests.

Price quoted for the boat and a Jazz band is 850 this will accomodate up to about 80 people so somewhere over 30 would be good.

Food:
Bar-be-que would be 14.47 per head
Finger Buffet would be c. 8.50 per head, both plus VAT + 10% service charge

And here is a sample Finger Buffet menu:

Self Select Menus
SS1 8.50 + VAT + 10% SC

Selection of Cocktail Sandwiches
(Cheddar and Tomato, Honey Roast Ham and Mustard, Beef and Horseradish, Egg and Cress, Salmon and Cucumber)

Assorted Mini Quiche
(Pizza & Olive, Salmon, Quiche Lorraine, Boursin, Herb & Almond, Roquefort & Walnut, Sausage & Mustard)

King Prawn in Filo Pastry
(With Sweet Chilli Dipping Sauce)

Spicy Chicken Goujons
(A Chicken fillet coated in Cajun seasoning)

Mature Cheddar Puffs
(Puff pastry filled with melted Cheddar)

Fresh Crudites with Dips
(Cherry Tomatoes, Cucumber, Carrot, Celery, Broccoli & Cauliflower)

There is a 10% Service Charge to all Catering and Bar Accounts

So doing the math, if we had 30 people it would cost between 45.33
(Jazz & BBQ) and 35.66 (Disco & Finger Buffet) per head. (+10% service charge on the food)

Booze is not included in those prices so you need to factor that in aswell.

Here is the bar tariff:

BEER AND LAGERS

Whitbread Best (Pint) 2.60
Heineken (Pint) 2.70
Premium Lagers (Bottle) from 2.60

SPIRITS
Whisky, Gin, Vodka, Campari 2.10
Malibu, Pernod, Rum 2.35
Southern Comfort 2.35
Port, Sherry, Vermouth 2.25
Late Bottled Vintage Port 3.25
Liqueurs/Brandy from 3.00
Remy Martin/V.S.O.P./Single Malts from 3.00

SOFT DRINKS
Single drink 1.00
Mixer 0.75
Minerals (Litre) 2.65
Orange Juice (Litre) 3.00

HOUSE WINES
Spritzer 2.35
Wine by the Glass 2.60

Obviously if we had more than 30 the price per head would drop but conversely if it were fewer the price would rise, I guess at 30 it just about makes sense, below than number, probably not?

Please post to this thread with number of tickets required and also indicating preferences for Jazz vs Disco and BBQ vs Buffet.

We will have to put down a deposit (naturally), I will make further enquiries about this.

So far we have the following members, I will update this post as more people provide their details.

Bazz, JAZZ&FB - SOLO
Mcuth, JAZZ&BBQ - SOLO
Jonathan NO PREFS STATED - FRIEND
Nottingham Nick, NO PREFS STATED - SOLO
Highflyer, DISCO&FB - SOLO
Buns4vs, JAZZ&FB - PTNR
RichardMannion, NO PREFS STATED - SOLO
Pix, JAZZ&FB - SOLO
Pegitt, NO PREFS STATED - SOLO
Onionz, NO PREFS STATED - SOLO
Unfortunately ChuckC will not be able to join us due to unavoidable Jury Service, better luck next time Chuck!

So far 10 members, partners/friends 2 definite 1 maybe, Jazz Band and Finger Buffet

We have capped the price at 60.00 per head

Well, some of the members are determined to make a night of it [:D], so far at the hotel (Late Bar) will be:

Mcuth - Double
Pegitt - Double
Onionz - Single
Jonathan + friend - Twin
Pix - Single
HighFlyer - Double
Oh, and Bazz will be propping up the bar (as usual [;)])

Prices for the Hotel are Double/Twin 50 (only one more twin available)
Single 40 both inclusive of full english breakfast and VAT.

Come on fellow v-flyers, numbers are limited so get your reservation in now [8D]

Below is the text of Jonathan's original opening post in this thread. Apologies Jonathan for taking over your post [;)]

Vagas or west coast was suggested..
was it Emma that looked after FF at LAX, or was it SFO?
im sure that wasn't the only reason for the west coast![;)]
#508569 by mcuth
14 Jun 2004, 18:06
Jonathan

Wow - the hangover's only just going from this weekend and already you're hungry for more? [:D]

I'm fairly easy on the destination - SFO/LAS both suit just fine. LAS sort of holds the edge for the gambling I suppose [:D]

Cheers

Michael
#508571 by Nottingham Nick
14 Jun 2004, 18:17
There were lots of things suggested - some even when we were sober[;)]

I am all for another gathering - in whatever format - I am also in favour of a Vegas junket. However I think a few more UK meets would be the order of the day before 'the big one', or am I just thinking too small?

Ideally, I think the next one should be tagged on to another event - preferably a VS one, but if this doesn't work out then an airshow / travel show or similar - just my thoughts.

Nick
#508574 by Decker
14 Jun 2004, 18:28
I'm still up for something Gatwicky direction as long as we can pressgang some VS bods along :-)
#508582 by RichardMannion
14 Jun 2004, 19:15
Not Emma for either LAX or SFO! [:)]

Few more UK meets before a larger foreign party methinks...

Thanks,
Richard
#508591 by mcuth
14 Jun 2004, 20:20
Well, I'm definitely in favour of a foreign expedition at some stage, as we've seen - but on balance, I think that some more UK meets before we hit foreign shores is probably a wise move [:)]

Cheers

Michael
#508592 by PaulS
14 Jun 2004, 20:40
What a great weekend. Now back up north and getting over the jet lag. Mrs P days next event should be more female friendly. I think eventually a trip to the colonies would be great providing mcuth and I sat on opposite sides of then plane to ensure even weight distrubution. Once again many thanks to all and Im looking forward to the next event even though I'll need to get in training to keep up with the late night bar boys

Paul
#508593 by Nottingham Nick
14 Jun 2004, 20:49
quote:Originally posted by PaulS
Mrs P days next event should be more female friendly.
Paul

Mrs Nick would agree with that. If our lad hadn't been doing a tang soo do grading in Sheffield this weekend, I am sure we would have made a family weekend of it.

Nick
#508594 by G-VTOP
14 Jun 2004, 20:51
Hi there,

This seems good! I am up for a UK meet sometime! Get to know all you strangers [8D]

Justin [:p]
#508597 by mcuth
14 Jun 2004, 21:02
Paul
quote:providing mcuth and I sat on opposite sides of then plane to ensure even weight distrubution.

ROTFLMFAO - of course, can you imagine the havoc we'd play with the loadsheets? [:D]

quote:I'll need to get in training to keep up with the late night bar boys

I wouldn't know what you could mean

[:D]

Cheers

Michael
#508603 by Nottingham Nick
14 Jun 2004, 21:43
quote:Originally posted by mcuth
[br
can you imagine the havoc we'd play with the loadsheets? [:D]

It's the amount of extra booze they would have to put on board that would cause more problem[;)][;)]

Nick
#508607 by mcuth
14 Jun 2004, 22:47
Nick
quote:It's the amount of extra booze they would have to put on board that would cause more problem[;)][;)]

Well, that wouldn't be for me, honest [:D]

Cheers

Michael
#508608 by Buffers
14 Jun 2004, 23:37
I agree with Richard, a couple more UK meets would be great. Once there's a few under the belt, it would make it a lot easier to get the necessary paperwork approved! [:D]

Cheers

Buffers
#508609 by buns
14 Jun 2004, 23:45
Buns

sorry I have not be able to join in sooner.

I too am up for another UK junket - this time i will book a room nearby so that i can fully partake.

That said i found the lively discussions [;)] on a wide range of topics very stimulating and interesting.

Thanks to all who made it such a great day

buns
#508616 by Decker
15 Jun 2004, 00:34
Mrs D echoes the female friendly plea. Suppose a Thames Cruise could work then? Summer day, bar, scenery?
#508618 by mcuth
15 Jun 2004, 00:51
quote:Originally posted by Decker
Mrs D echoes the female friendly plea. Suppose a Thames Cruise could work then? Summer day, bar, scenery?

Funny, I was thinking that sort of thing too [:)]

Cheers

Michael
#508620 by Jonathan
15 Jun 2004, 01:11
I live on the themes so throw a rope as you go by!
#508623 by onionz
15 Jun 2004, 01:54
Thames cruise, and in fact pretty much anything London based, gets my thumbs up [:)]
#508691 by HighFlyer
15 Jun 2004, 19:45
Ill gladly come for that one!
#508709 by mcuth
15 Jun 2004, 21:03
quote:Originally posted by Decker
Well I don't mind getting details in - might be nice to charter our own for say a saturday afternoon/evening?

I say old bean - excellent research, maybe you should be our 'investigative reporter on the spot'? [:D] The charter idea sounds good, we'd only need a small craft........ and a tug with the beer on! [;)]

Cheers

Michael
#508711 by Nottingham Nick
15 Jun 2004, 21:08
If we are going to go down this road (or river!!) can we have a concensus early on about spouses / significant others, please?

Nick
#508718 by Decker
15 Jun 2004, 21:57
This is designed as a partner friendly event. Or that's my take FWIW [:)]
#508807 by buns
16 Jun 2004, 19:34
Decker

Thanks for the research.

If this becomes a 'goer' then I am sure you can count on both Mrs Buns and I attending.

(Having seen the photos and heard how much I said I enjoyed the company that she certainly wants be be included next time round[8D])

Buns
#508827 by Jonathan
17 Jun 2004, 00:04
Well since I catch a boat to work every day I can honestly say beer on a boat on a sunny evening is the best!
OK not quite UC best!![:D]
Virgin Atlantic