A forum for discussion of Social Activities
#649171 by buns
10 Jun 2007, 06:59
Originally posted by slinky09
I just received a free ticket with this month's Conde Naste ... since I'll be in Reims tasting champagne on the day (life is hard isn't it!) I'm happy to send it to the first person who PM's me.

[:(!][:(!][:(!][:(!]

Just got my tickets through the post - now find freebies on offer[V]

Look forward to all who wil be there on the Saturday

buns
#650756 by Bazz
26 Jun 2007, 20:59
Sorry, don't have the time to do an exhaustive search but a quick search does not produce any info on what the plans are for Saturday.

[planning mode on]
Is these a proposed meeting place/time? If so where?
It was suggested that we went for a meal? If so where and when?

Can we get some info in this thread so we all meet up and get the max out of the show?
[planning mode off]

Looking forward to seeing you all - GJ are you going to make this?
#650758 by Bazz
26 Jun 2007, 21:07
Should those of us attending send a PM to the other attendees with the mobile number so we can be sure of hooking up? It would be a great shame if some of our number were unable to find the rest of the group and missed the opportunity to get together.
#650764 by Roxy-Popsy
26 Jun 2007, 22:07
Good news - this time tomorrow I will have been to the show.[^][^]
More good news - hopefully by this time tomorrow evening I will have posted my report[y][y]

Not so good news [:(]- I'll be going with 'love-him-as-I-do-but' cos my girlfriend will be winging her way to MCO.
Oh well, I can't have everything.
#650775 by Wolves27
26 Jun 2007, 22:36
Do we have a plan for what time are people getting to Olympia yet?

We'll need to check out our Friday night hotel (not too early, want to enjoy the splurge) and then ideally check into our Saturday night hotel beforehand.

Looking forward to seeing everyone again and meeting the new...

Dean
#650790 by DMetters-Bone
26 Jun 2007, 23:18
I have PM my number to you all, I am happy to fit in with you all and will get there around the same time. We were thinking of around 10-11am approx, is that too early? [;)]
#650791 by DMetters-Bone
26 Jun 2007, 23:22
I have PM my number to you all, I am happy to fit in with you all and will get there around the same time. We were thinking of around 10-11am approx, is that too early? [;)]
#650797 by Decker
26 Jun 2007, 23:47
Won't be there until around 11:30-12:00.... see you there
#650845 by Pete
27 Jun 2007, 14:22
Just out of the first day of the show. I've put my review in in the news section

Will be back on Saturday without my reporters notebook to have a punter's look. [;)]
#650848 by NS
27 Jun 2007, 14:37
Please can someone going take some snaps and upload a few to V-flyer.

I can't go [n]

Thanks
Nick
#650851 by HighFlyer
27 Jun 2007, 14:46
Originally posted by NS
Please can someone going take some snaps and upload a few to V-flyer.

Nick, I am sure there will be a plethora of photographs from the event, I'll certainly have my camera with me, though the majority will likely be of V-Flyers with their freebies or with glasses of something [:)]

Thanks,
Sarah
#650852 by Howard Long
27 Jun 2007, 14:53
Originally posted by Bazz
It was suggested that we went for a meal? If so where and when?

For the late afternoon/evening, my offer of 'canapees' afterwards chez moi was probably a little of an understatement as to what I've organised. However if anyone would prefer to have a more formal meal organised, and just pop in for a quick drink and nibbles, I certainly won't be offended! I think I have enough to fill most appetites. If you would like suggestions for eating venues let me know.

Cheers, Howard
#650853 by Wolves27
27 Jun 2007, 15:19
Thanks for both offers Howard [y]

We'll probably be getting to the show about midday I guess. Think we may slouch off for the evening but happy to go with the flow all afternoon (of previous experiences these shows don't require too much time...)

Dean
#650855 by HighFlyer
27 Jun 2007, 15:54
Canaps certainly get my vote. Especially after the delights of Champagne, combined with Pizza Express that will likely be our food bounty at the show [:)]

Thanks,
Sarah
#650898 by Roxy-Popsy
27 Jun 2007, 19:31
Evening V-flyers

Been there done that,[:w]

entered 6 competions (various)
had bubbly [:D][:D] (Kuoni & Pure Luxury Worldwide Holidays)
dates [:$] (Omani tourism stand)
chocolates (Epoque &Avantgarde hotels)[:D]
turkish delight & flashing badge [xx(] (Adam & Eve Hotels)
picked up a stack of pens (various)
& brochures for the areas that we were particulrly interested in.

We purchased a copy of the July 'Conde Nast' mag at their stand for 2.

We parked in the car park attached to Olympia (12 for 4 hours).

We were not allowed in at the entrance by the station but had to go around the corner to the Conde Nast entrance with red carpet outside & a liveried doorman. Why, we do not know. One doorman/security guard checked our tickets & said to go ahead but at the top of the stairs the next security guard said no.[V]

We picked up a copy of the brown with gold writng embossed on it Fair brochure & had a quick flick thru to see where the stands were that we were wanting in particular.

We were interested in U.A.E & the Carribean.

We spoke to a really helpful lady at Kuoni (& had a sit down & bubbly) with regard to the Hilton in Abu Dhabi & she obtained a quote for us to fly with Etihad not BA which is what we wanted.[}:)]

The ladies at the St. Lucia tourism stand were REALLY helpful & gave us relevant brochures (ie not child orientated) & a brochure regarding the island in general.
One thing she did say was that a while back it was out of favour to give US$ when paying for anything & that almost any currency including GB was welcomed more than US$, due to the exchange rate.
We spent ages chatting to them & one of the ladies didn't know about the half price flying miles offer with VA. She couldn't wait to get home to tell her husband!

We chatted to the lady at the Omani tourism stand who was again very helpful & was suggesting hotels that we may be particularly interested in. Apparantly Omani Air start flying to UK later this year but I can't remember into which airport. Sorry[:#]

We chatted to a helpful chap at Pride of Britain Hotels. He was from The Dormy House Hotel in the Cotswolds which is one of this select group.

The chappie at The Epoque Hotels was informative & friendly & we were interested as their group includes Miami hotels.

We were there 3 hours as that is all the time we had available. We could have spent far longer there as we didn't see everything that we wanted to but it was good to go & personally was worth the money.

I imagine that we were fortunate to chat to all the staff on the stands on the first morning of the first day. I think they they might have sore throats by Saturday.

We didn't venture to the Telegraph Show because of lack of time.

We had a coffee at Pret & a sit down but there were only a few tables & chairs available.[V][V]

Have a great time all of you going on Saturday. If you win one of the comps let us all know so that we will be totally green with envy.

I know that the report on the news section is far more informative overall but, as I say it was a quick trip & I was keen to post this before I have to toddle off & do boring stuff like get the dinner[n]
#650913 by Roxy-Popsy
27 Jun 2007, 21:17
Just been going thru the bags I collected today & found choccys in the bag from Pure Luxury Worldwide Holidays.
They were deeeelicious[:D]
#650921 by buns
27 Jun 2007, 22:05
Roxy-Popsy

Thanks for the low down on where to visit[}:)][;)][}:)]

For the Saturday Matinee crew, Mrs Buns & I are aiming to get to Oylmpia around midday.

Greatly looking forward to meeting one and all

buns
#650936 by Vegascrazy
27 Jun 2007, 22:49
Midday-ish for Steve & me as well, looking forward to it [:)]
#651271 by buns
01 Jul 2007, 09:11
Can I thank fellow V-flyers for what turned to be an absoultely fantastic day.

The weather outside was so awful, that being able to drift away with all manner of luxury opportunities was a welcome escape. The added fun was being with a great bunch of people that turned a the usual trudge past the stands into a journey of true pleasure - I can see going to the Show becoming a regular feature on the V-Flyer calender[y]

The after show event was the highlight of the day.

Howard you are the most gracious host I have encountered for many a year [oo][oo][oo][oo].

buns
#651286 by Bazz
01 Jul 2007, 11:57
An excellent day all round with the exception of the weather, as Buns has mentioned, which insisted on dumping monsoon like quantities of warm water on us every time we ventured out of doors. It was good to meet up again with so many old friends made through v-flyer and to make the acquaintance of some new ones [y].

The after show party was an absolute blast!!!!

Howard Long; what can I say? Grande Sommelier Extraordinaire, Master of Cheese, put on a spread and a selection of fine wines to die for, Howard your hospitality was limitless and your generosity boundless we are forever in your debt, thank you so, so much.
#651287 by Vegascrazy
01 Jul 2007, 12:06
Just to add to what Bazz & Buns have said - a truly memorable day, especially Howard's 'do' afterwards! Howard, thank you so much for your genorisity [y] From the free flowing magnums of Champagne, to that amazing cheese board, to the '63 Port....it was all amazing, thanks again [:D]

James & Steve
#651291 by HighFlyer
01 Jul 2007, 12:58
I can only echo Buns, Bazz and James! We had a great day at the show, starting off on the right foot, after the consumption of a few glasses of Champagne at the Infinity Bar. The show itself was jolly good fun, and the highlight of the day was certainly the wonderful hospitality from Howard. I can't recall the last time i drank so much Champagne in one day [:)]

Same time next year folks? [:)]

Thanks,
Sarah
#651294 by Mrs Buns
01 Jul 2007, 13:52
Not often I get the time to look at the site let alone add to it but after yesterday I want to add my thanks. It was fantastic to meet up with the regular crew and have the opportunity to meet new fellow v- flyers. Despite the wet weather, it was a great day but to end the day at Howard's was brilliant. What generosity! Buns and I had a great time last night. Pleased to report that I have no hangover, which just proves that Howard has excellent taste.[^][^][^].

All I can say now is 'Bring on the Riverboat trip' - can't wait to see you again and of course meet new v-flyers [:D][:D]

Mrs Buns
#651295 by Decker
01 Jul 2007, 14:19
At the risk of repetition - a fantastic day - made the long trek from Earls Court Station to Olympia through pouring rain and splashing cars worth it. The show itself was definitely improved by being En masse and the after show event was possibly the finest example of V-Flyer hospitality I have ever experienced and I join in the plaudits for Howard's generosity and good taste. The sheer quantity of food and drink on offer was only excelled by the quality, and despite not being a dessert person the Eton Mess was delicious. Lovely to meet with old friends and make new ones.

See y'all at the River Boat!
Virgin Atlantic