A forum for discussion of Social Activities
#250263 by Bazz
18 Jul 2007, 14:38
This topic is now unlocked and active. Members are encouraged to respond if interested in attending.

Hi Fellow V-Flyers,
With the 2007 event proclaimed a roaring success by all shipmates we must now turn our sails in the direction of next years voyage.

Due to the need to plan vacation time far ahead (in order to be sure of attending [8D]) we have fixed the date as Saturday 12 July 2008. Please put this date in your diaries/calendars now!

We will change the format for 2008 and take an afternoon cruise upstream towards Cookham and Marlow taking in what is probably the most picturesque stretch of the Thames, The Clivedon Reach.

We will be sailing on the MV Pink Champagne which comes with that 'must have' v-flyer essential, an on board bar! [;)]

[image]http://www.velmead.com/public/Pink champagne.jpg[/image]

The meeting and evening venue will be the Thames Hotel in Maidenhead as usual. Rooms will be available at discounted rates and in the evening we will have a social gathering where members can eat and drink an enjoy the company of their fellow v-flyers.

The rates negotiated for this year are as follows:

Saturday 12 July 2008.

Single Room 45.00
Double Room 55.00
Executive Room 65.00
Family Room 70.00

These rates are VAT inclusive and include full English Brekkie.
For anyone wishing to stay for the Friday night also I understand there may be a small reduction per night on the above rates.

Please book directly with the hotel using reference 'v-flyer', their contact details are as follows:

Tel: +44 1628 628721
Fax: +44 1628 773921
email: [email protected]
WEB: http://www.thameshotel.co.uk

Anyone interested in signing up please do so below, there is no obligation to attend at this time, members will be contacted eight weeks before for confirmation, at which time tickets will be issued and payment required.

We are aiming to keep the costs to a minimum this year and people can come for the boat trip and or the evening social and dip in and out to suit themselves. The cost for the boat trip which will be a four hour cruise will be 15.00 per head. The evening cost will be up to the individual, there are no fixed costs, eat and drink what you want.

Members and Guests attending:

Bazz and (hopefully) Birkin + four guests
Darren Wheeler
mediamonkey (maybe)
jpcox1 and Mrs jpcox1 + Guests
buns4vs and Mrs buns
DMetters-Bone and V-Monkey
Vegascrazy and s-pressobeen and Pauline & Suzanne
mike-smashing
HighFlyer & RichardMannion
fozzyo & wolves27
preiffer (maybe)
DragonLady
McMaddog & GF

Running total: 29 (incl. maybes and guests). Target 34.

Barry.
#413360 by Scrooge
18 Jul 2007, 17:15
Originally posted by Bazz
Hi Fellow V-Flyers,

Due to the need to plan vacation time far ahead (in order to be sure of attending [8D]) we have fixed the date as Saturday 12 July 2008. Please put this date in your diaries/calendars now!

Barry.

Why thank you sir, which of course means we are in also [y]
#413370 by Bazz
18 Jul 2007, 17:47
Originally posted by mcmbenjamin
Could Katzenjammer be on the boat?

Ben, surprisingly enough this thought did also cross my mind. It then occurred to me that would mean we have to get a piano aboard and off again! So I quietly dismissed the idea - it remains a possibility.
#413473 by ChuckC
19 Jul 2007, 02:05
Barry,
As long as you are planning the event we know it will be superb in all respects. Count me in (though this time I will not be modeling any hats!).

And if votes count, I love the thought of cruising upstream during the day and having an evening dinner/social at the Thames Hotel. Cracking good idea!

By the way, thanks again for all you did to make RBS 2007 such a big success.

Chuck-
#413477 by mcmbenjamin
19 Jul 2007, 03:25
Originally posted by mcmbenjamin
Could Katzenjammer be on the boat?

Ben, surprisingly enough this thought did also cross my mind. It then occurred to me that would mean we have to get a piano aboard and off again! So I quietly dismissed the idea - it remains a possibility.

Haha, Well great minds think alike! [:)] Dare I suggest an electric piano? They are lighter but lack the effect and may hinder their act. That back room at the hotel with the mini bar is nice too!
#438794 by mediamonkey
24 Mar 2008, 13:04
in theory I'll be able to attend... I might be in New York doing some exciting things but if I'm not there I'll be here... might even try out a bit of new material.... so in conclusion... possibly.
#438826 by Scrooge
24 Mar 2008, 21:32
Originally posted by Scrooge
Hi Fellow V-Flyers,

Barry.

Why thank you sir, which of course means we are in also [y]

And of course a couple of months later and the world has moved on and I now have to remove my foot from my mouth...Sorry but we are not going to make it [:#] I do however highly recommend this day away to everyone, it's just a shame I live 5500 miles away.
#438936 by buns
25 Mar 2008, 22:42
Bazz

Put Mrs Buns & I down for the cruise - as it is likely that she will have to work from home on the Sunday, it is probable that we shall make our way home in later the evening rather than stay overnight.

Take care

buns
#439020 by DMetters-Bone
26 Mar 2008, 18:36
Hi Bazz,

Good to see Pam is home and hope she is making a speedy recovery.

Can you please put my name and David's (V-Monkey)

Thanks so much, can't wait to see everyone again,

DMB
#439033 by willd
26 Mar 2008, 19:50
Was just about to sign up to my first V-Flyer social but sadly will be in the States.

Have a great time everyone and fingers crossed I will be able to make the next social.
#440289 by Decker
08 Apr 2008, 15:19
Problems committing to anything at the moment. Just found out I've (almost definitely) got 6 weeks away from home as of next week.
#440335 by iforres1
08 Apr 2008, 18:30
As it is potentialy the week before Mrs F gives birth I think my attendance this year will be a no, which is a shame as I really enjoy this event.

There is always next year to look forward too though[:)]

Iain
#440339 by honey lamb
08 Apr 2008, 18:44
Originally posted by iforres1
As it is potentialy the week before Mrs F gives birth I think my attendance this year will be a no, which is a shame as I really enjoy this event.

There is always next year to look forward too though[:)]

Iain

Oooh, another little Forrest sapling on the horizon! Congratulations [^]
#440764 by Bazz
11 Apr 2008, 13:30
Fellow Shipmates,

We have to commit to the boat by the 17 May (8 weeks in advance of the trip). We need a minimum of 34 attendees (members and guests) to make this a viable proposition at the £15.00 per head quoted. If you are considering coming along please respond to this topic or if you would prefer, send me a PM.

All old crew members are welcome to sign on for another memorable voyage and new crew members will be welcomed in tradition v-flyer style.

Barry.
#440814 by ChuckC
11 Apr 2008, 23:36
Barry, thank you for once again arranging this fine excursion. Alas though my earlier intention was pure I am now unable to attend.

Will be thinking of all aboard, however.

Chuck-
#440831 by Vegascrazy
12 Apr 2008, 11:45
Steve & I would be delighted to attend - please stick us on the list [:)]
#441011 by Bazz
15 Apr 2008, 10:23
I have now received the prices for rooms for those wishing to stay at the Thames Hotel and will publish them in the opening post as soon as I have time.

{Edit to add; prices and contact info now included in opening post}
#441038 by mike-smashing
15 Apr 2008, 15:59
Looks like I'm in the country for a change, please bag me a place! I#ll let you know if I'm plus anyone as soon as poss.

Mike
#441761 by Wolves27
23 Apr 2008, 17:08
Was going to confirm that we're free, but I can see we're on the list already.

See you all there!

Dean (and Mat)
#441771 by Darren Wheeler
23 Apr 2008, 18:10
Looks like we might need the services of the Press Gang... Pass the Queens Shilling.
#441842 by Bazz
24 Apr 2008, 12:38
We still need a few more shipmates to sign on for the voyage, dunno 'bout the Queen's shilling but the attraction of a bar, some great scenery and the company of your fellow v-flyers should be temptation enough surely?

Com'on shipmates clear your diaries and add your name to the ships compliment, she can't sail without a full crew!
#442022 by MrsG
26 Apr 2008, 12:57
I would dearly love to be part of the fun Barry, but unfortunately I won't be in the UK until the end of July.

Have a great time all [:D]
Virgin Atlantic