A forum for discussion of Social Activities
#668281 by Kraken
08 Dec 2007, 13:13
I've only just noticed this thread - yes, I know it is linked from the V-Flyer homepage - just shows how used you get to clicking a few links to go straight to the discussion forum.

I may well try and make it up to Manchester for at least a day of the weekend in January - is not too far and would be good to put faces to some of the people on here.

James
#668286 by VS075
08 Dec 2007, 15:26
Having only got back from a few days away in the Lake District today to come home to missing the initial payment deadline for the Concorde tour, and also receiving a letter from Lancaster University inviting me to an open day on that date for those who have applied, I'll cut to the chase...I won't be able to make the PCP now and am having to pull out.

I really am disappointed that I can't make this one as I was looking forward to putting names to faces (and doing some Hull bashing), and this would've been a golden opportunity as it's not far from where I live. [:#]

I wish you all the best of luck andhope this goes well for you all. Fingers crossed there will be another V-Flyer social in Manchester/North-West England soon enough.
#668288 by HighFlyer
08 Dec 2007, 15:30
That's a real shame, Alex. Would have been good to meet you!

There will be a number of us around (probably with hangovers [;)]) on the Sunday if that is of any use?

Thanks,
Sarah
#668864 by RichardMannion
14 Dec 2007, 20:05
Not sure how much use this would be, but for those of you thinking of travelling up on the train from London on Friday 25th:

http://www.mobitix.thetrainline.com/vt/ ... chase.aspx

Cheapest ticket is 1 one way, most expensive is 7!

If you want to come back on the Sunday, for most of the trains its actually cheaper in First ~32. Though there are some 20 fares kicking around.
#671242 by fozzyo
09 Jan 2008, 11:57
Just to let everyone know that I have now received our boarding passes for the Concorde tour ... 11:30am on the Saturday. I have updated the attendees list on the main page to reflect those coming along.

I'm just looking at the options for getting to the tour, and then to the Trafford centre for shopping / LaserQuest. Will update some more in the next few days.

Thanks to everyone who's coming along ... we're really excited to see everyone again.

If your not coming along, please feel free to join us! Its never too late.

Mat
#671305 by Guest
10 Jan 2008, 01:06
What a shame, i only live 20 mins away, but i am working (Somebody has to deliver all the babies !!!!), would have loved to have joined you but sadly cant. Have fun.
#671476 by Scorpio
12 Jan 2008, 15:33
sorry guys but had it booked off to see you all but my lovely work took me off my leave and put me on Ankara bullet instead.Boo Hoo

Have a fab time anyway! :)
#671865 by mitchja
16 Jan 2008, 21:09
Just a quick heads-ups for anyone staying at the Premier Appartments and arriving by car.

It's 13.00 per night to park your car at the Premier Appartments. They will add this charge to you booking if you contact them before arriving either by email ([email protected]) or by phone (0161 827 3930)

Regards
#671879 by Glider Pilot
16 Jan 2008, 22:17
Hi

Have we decided where we are going to go out for the meal on the
Sat night? Was thinking maybe an Indian or Italian.

What does everybody want to do?!

Only 9 days to go [y]
#671883 by HighFlyer
16 Jan 2008, 22:25
Indian! Indian! Indian! [:D]

Anyone able to recommend any good eateries? Or do we just turn up on the night?

Thanks,
Sarah
#671886 by Darren Wheeler
16 Jan 2008, 22:31
I'll go with Her Ladyship's suggestion.

Ruby Ruby Ruby!!!
#671902 by Glider Pilot
16 Jan 2008, 23:41
Indian sounds good! Just thinking with 30 of us we probably need to book!
#671904 by pjh
17 Jan 2008, 00:09
Originally posted by HighFlyer
Indian! Indian! Indian! [:D]

Anyone able to recommend any good eateries? Or do we just turn up on the night?

Thanks,
Sarah

Unless things have changed in the past couple of years, there aren't any good Indian restaurants in the centre of Manchester that are open in the evening. There's Shimla Pinks just off Bridge Street, but (IMHO) it is medium on style, long on price and short on anything that actually matters. There used to be another indian restaurant in Albert Square that's wasn't up to much.

For curry, you need to head south out of the city down Oxford Rd, past the University to Rusholme and the curry mile. Google for recommendations or see http://www.rusholmecurry.co.uk.

For chinese food, there are many establishments within Chinatown just behind Picadilly Plaza.

Saturday night you'll need to book.

Paul
#671940 by mitchja
17 Jan 2008, 14:31
I dont do Indian food, sorry so count me out.

Regards
#671953 by Neil
17 Jan 2008, 15:50
We are easy (shut it Richard!!), as long as wherever we eat doesn't only serve seafood and isn't too posh we will be fine. You have to remember we are from Hull so for us Burger King is a posh restaurant and also I don't want to have to bring posh clothes with me as well as normal clothes, far too much faffing.
#671957 by HighFlyer
17 Jan 2008, 16:04
Posh clothes LOL See, you need your 'going out trainers' on this social [:)]

Thanks,
Sarah
#671961 by Neil
17 Jan 2008, 16:13
Originally posted by HighFlyer
Posh clothes LOL See, you need your 'going out trainers' on this social [:)]

Thanks,
Sarah

Lol - I just want to wear one pair of shoes (not trainers!) all day long, please don't choose posh places where I have to bring lots of clothes/foot wear changes, as I said too much faffing for my liking.

Remember this social is Up North, we don't do posh[:)]
#671969 by HighFlyer
17 Jan 2008, 16:39
Dont worry, we'll be pretty casual. We are playing LazerQuest that day dont forget [:D]

Thanks,
Sarah
#671983 by Nottingham Nick
17 Jan 2008, 17:30
Well! Finally, after more fannying about than I care to think about, I have booked our hotel for the Saturday night.

We won't make the Concorde tour, but hope to meet up with everyone at the Trafford Centre for the afternoon / evening festivities.

Looking forward to a good weekend. Do we have a consensus for a meal on the Saturday evening yet?

Nick
#671990 by RichardMannion
17 Jan 2008, 18:16
Originally posted by Nottingham Nick
Do we have a consensus for a meal on the Saturday evening yet?

We were going to go somewhere half-decent but then the Hull monkeys were attending, so we need to scout for a place with a good kids menu for the toddler.
#672018 by Neil
17 Jan 2008, 19:53
Originally posted by RichardMannion
We were going to go somewhere half-decent but then the Hull monkeys were attending, so we need to scout for a place with a good kids menu for the toddler.

Harsh and unfair. We are more than happy to go along with any food type, I only requested somewhere not too posh as we wouldn't be dressed appropriately and aren't mega rich like you, so stop trying to twist it[:p]
#672022 by Guest
17 Jan 2008, 20:26
I wouldnt bother with the living room, over rated and full of snobs.
Virgin Atlantic