A forum for discussion of Social Activities
#251572 by fozzyo
19 Oct 2007, 16:35
Announcing dates for the 2008 V-Flyer Post Christmas party

On behalf of the moderators I am very pleased to announce that the 2008 PCP will be 25th - 27th January 2008, and for the first time will be held in Manchester!

We are planning a series of activities over the weekend for people to pick from that may interest them. Details of these haven't been finalised yet, but we hope to include a tour of Concorde. drinking, shopping and some shooting each other at LaserQuest.

Details of these activities and timings will be confirmed shortly. As will a 'host' hotel, we are looking at the best rates and venues at the moment. The hotel will be in the city centre for ease of access to make it as easy as possible for people to come and go as they please.

If you are planning on coming to any part of the PCP, either a daytrip, one night or two please add your thoughts to the thread and I'll keep this list post updated. I will also update it with activities and plans for the weekend.

Attendees List
FozzyO & Wolves27: 25th - 27th (Concorde)
HighFlyer & RichardMannion: 25th - 27th (Concorde)
mitchja: (Concorde)
Neil & Luke: 26th (Daytime)
Pete & Marcus 25th - 27th (Concorde)
Darren Wheeler - 25th - 27th (Concorde)
Nottingham Nick with Sue and Chris. 26th - 27th
s-pressobeen & Vegascrazy 26th - 27th (Concorde)
buns4vs & mrs buns 26th - 27th (Concorde)
Glider Pilot 25th - 27th (Concorde)

The Concorde tour is booked for 11:30am on the Saturday, if you would like to join us tickets cost 30 each - please let me know. Tour finishes around 1:30pm.

LaserQuest
Booked for the group at 5:00pm at the Trafford Centre. If you are coming please PM me. If you wish to play a practice game earlier on please call LQ on 0161 755 0600.

Wolves27 & FozzyO
HighFlyer & RichardMannion
VegasCrazy, s-pressobean & GliderPilot
Darren Wheeler
Neil & Luke
Nottingham Nick & Chris
Buns4vs

Saturday night dinner
HighFlyer & RichardMannion
Wolves27 & FozzyO
VegasCrazy, s-pressobean & GliderPilot
Darren Wheeler
Pete, Marcus & Patrick
Mr & Mrs Buns
Neil & Luke
Nick, Chris & Sue

18 so far ...

Contact Details
If you need to get in touch before, on the day or after to find out what you got upto while very drunk please call FozzyO on 07921 398 412.
#662429 by HighFlyer
19 Oct 2007, 16:40
Count us in, though im gutted the PCP isnt in Hull this year!

Thanks,
Sarah
#662431 by mitchja
19 Oct 2007, 16:43
Me too [y]

LaserQuest - that sounds fun and sounds a lot less painfull than paintballing too [:w]

Regards
#662432 by Neil
19 Oct 2007, 16:48
I too am gutted Hull has again been overlooked but a move to the North is most welcome.

I very much doubt we will be able to attend all of the weekend and will prob not stay over, but a day trip is more than likely on the cards. Laserquest was most fun when I last played it a good 13 or so years ago so that gets a big [y] from me.

Neil
#662460 by RedVee
19 Oct 2007, 19:31
I hope I would be able to get there for at least the Friday night or the Saturday night, bit of a poor show if I couldn't as I only live 25 miles away. The Comedy Store on Deansgate Locks is well worth doing although the bill isn't published and the site is saying all advanced tickets are sold for Friday and Saturday's best in stand up shows. Deansgate locks is on Whitworth Street and has an number of good bars, buzzin on cold January nights!

And given our membership profile, maybe a drink or two in Canal Street? I have a mate who's partner is an 'artiste' who performs there regularly - I could see if there was anything worth going along to.

In terms of hotels the Hilton is great but pricey, and the Radission is heading that way. Lowry's a bit further out (in Salford actually). I recently stayed at the Midland (now a Q hotel) for the first time in about 18 years - significantly improved since the refurbishment two years ago although you need a second mortgage for drinks. The Aurora gets some decent reviews. Apart from that, most hotels are 3 star dodgy (those along Portland Strees/Princess Street/Oxford Road).

Regards
Pat
#662481 by RichardMannion
19 Oct 2007, 21:38
Accomodation Options:

These 1 and 2 Bedroom Apartments have been highly recommended, and do look rather swish. More room than your average hotel room and in a good location too.

At Expedia or Direct

For Friday and Saturday Night
1 bed (non-flex), its 150
1-bed (flex), its 166
2-bed (non-flex), its 250
2-bed (flexible) its 268

For just Saturday Night
1 bed - 84 (flexible) (80 at Expedia for non-flex)
2 bed - 144 (flexible) (134 at Expedia for non-flex)
#662819 by VS075
22 Oct 2007, 20:49
Excellent move!

Count me in for the 26th (daytime) and I look forward to putting names to faces (and boasting that Manchester is better than Hull for a V-Flyer social [}:)])
#662823 by HighFlyer
22 Oct 2007, 20:59
Originally posted by VS075
Count me in for the 26th (daytime) and I look forward to putting names to faces (and boasting that Manchester is better than Hull for a V-Flyer social [}:)])

Will be good to finally meet you Alex. And don't worry, there'll be Hull bashing a plenty [:)]

Thanks,
Sarah
#662828 by Coakers
22 Oct 2007, 21:23
Apologies if this is a stupid question, but what is PCP? Worked out that it is a get together of sorts that occurs once a year, and this year it is in Manchester. But anymore insight welcome.. Thanks all.....
Chris
#662830 by Scorpio
22 Oct 2007, 21:35
post christmas party Chris and your more than welcome to join!
#662858 by fozzyo
23 Oct 2007, 11:34
How about you Scorpio? You joining us?
#662880 by Darren Wheeler
23 Oct 2007, 16:26
Count me in for the weekend, Friday night to Sunday at the moment based on being able to get a couple of days off work.

I like the sound of the technical tour of Concorde or even the 3 aircraft. Geek hat off.
#662930 by VS075
23 Oct 2007, 20:51
Originally posted by HighFlyer
Will be good to finally meet you Alex.

Why thank you very much! [:)] Will be a pleasure to meet you and Richard in person.

Have to say with this being my first attendance at a V-Flyer social I do feel a tad nervous already for obvious reasons, but since this one is right on my doorstep (well I live in the fringes of Greater Manchester in a town known as Wigan) I am more than delighted to come along.

Also if anybody has any questions about Manchester I'll be more than happy to try and answer them.

P.S. In case anyone is wondering about shopping there is an Apple store in both the Arndale Centre and the Trafford Centre.
#662933 by HighFlyer
23 Oct 2007, 20:57
Don't worry Alex, i was nervous as anything at my first social event, but you wont regret coming along. We are all perfectly normal(ish)!

Thanks,
Sarah
#662945 by Neil
23 Oct 2007, 21:45
I have just found out our works Xmas party is on the 25th Jan in London, so whoever decided this date for the PCP is wonderful, finally I have a real excuse not to go to our annual bore-athon [y]
#662948 by Scorpio
23 Oct 2007, 21:56
I will try and go but my roster isnt out yet for January so wouldnt want to commit to you all yet in case i am jetting off in the far and beyond!
#662952 by VS075
23 Oct 2007, 22:03
Originally posted by Neil
I have just found out our works Xmas party is on the 25th Jan in London, so whoever decided this date for the PCP is wonderful, finally I have a real excuse not to go to our annual bore-athon [y]

LOL Xmas party in January? [:o)]
#662991 by Neil
24 Oct 2007, 08:24
Originally posted by VS075
Originally posted by Neil

LOL Xmas party in January? [:o)]

Oh yes, weird company I work for.
#663402 by buns
27 Oct 2007, 11:51
[:I][:I][:I][:I][:I][:I]

I have realised that this post passed my by.

Mrs Buns & I will be joining the throng[y][y] I said throng[:D][:D]

It will be great to meet V-Flyers who have been unable to attend previous events. Like Highflyer I was nervous at my first one, but I have met so many good people, that the V-Flyer circle now takes precedence over family

More than likely we will come up on the Friday night - train being the best option and likely stay at the Hilton (any opportunity to earn miles you know[;)])

buns
#663439 by mcmbenjamin
27 Oct 2007, 20:35
The Concorde is bending my arm. That and the world's largest vending machine in Manchester. I recall a certain VFer and the machine in the gallery....but could be mistaken.
#663441 by s-pressobeen
27 Oct 2007, 20:53
Manchester sounds fab [:)] please count me and James in on the bash [:D]

Our plan is to fly LGW-MAN-LGW arriving on Friday eve and leaving Sunday luchtime.

Steve
#663444 by mitchja
27 Oct 2007, 21:38
Steve

Added you and James to the list [y]

Regards
#663478 by HighFlyer
28 Oct 2007, 14:35
Originally posted by mcmbenjamin
The Concorde is bending my arm. That and the world's largest vending machine in Manchester. I recall a certain VFer and the machine in the gallery....but could be mistaken.

What, this one? [:)]

Manchester truly is an amazing place! I can also show you a car park where there is parking from 20p!

Thanks,
Sarah
#663496 by VS075
28 Oct 2007, 20:33
Originally posted by HighFlyer
Manchester truly is an amazing place! I can also show you a car park where there is parking from 20p!

That makes my 1.90 rail fare Appley Bridge-Manchester Ctlz with YP Railcard discount look expensive!
Virgin Atlantic