A forum for discussion of Social Activities
#252934 by Wolves27
27 Jan 2008, 18:01
Hello all

Finally back home after another fun filled V-Flyer weekend. Just to say it was great to see everyone again and to meet the newbies for the first time (hope we wern't too scary [:)]).

Sorry we didn't see some of you for as much as we'd liked but lets sort that out for the next one.

Thanks to Mat for organising Concorde and Laserquest. As never been that close to the bird before it was a fascinating tour and the guides gave lots of interesting information. Laserquest was also a blast, even if Gloria scored more than me. And thanks to everyone else who braved the north for the trip.

Note to members, keep a close eye on how many Cobra's you have if you ever pop back to Shimla Pinks [}:)]

See you all again soon!

Dean
#432808 by Nottingham Nick
27 Jan 2008, 18:10
I would like to echo what Dean has said - many thanks to Mat for organising the thing.

Sorry we didn't get more time to spend with the gang - despite this, it was great to see old faces, and meet new people.

I really enjoyed the Laser Quest, even though I had to suffer the ignominy of being beaten by my son, and having points deducted for shooting the Marshall (twice)! [:I][:I].

It is the first time I have done Laser Quest, but look forward to a return match.

Nick
#432811 by s-pressobeen
27 Jan 2008, 18:40
Thanks everyone for a great weekend, it was a blast and so nice to see everyone again[:D] Mat thanks for doing the organisational bit... how on earth are we going to top Concorde next time[:?] Laser Quest should become a permanant fixture I think.

Time now to catch up on some sleep I think[|)]

Steve (& James)
#432814 by HighFlyer
27 Jan 2008, 19:08
Ditto what has been said already. It was great to meet up with everyone and an absolute pleasure to meet our new faces, Dan, Neil & Luke.

Thanks to Mat for the organizing, Concorde was brilliant and i am glad we did the tour. Shimla Pinks was also an amazing experience. I'll never look at a pasting table in the same light [:D]

Thanks,
Sarah
#432816 by capetownflyer
27 Jan 2008, 19:27
Well seeing as Im becoming a daily v-flyer junkie (and had my first UC trip because of it!!) I suppose I'll have to pop along to the next one! Be good to meet (some) of you!:-)
#432819 by Neil
27 Jan 2008, 19:56
Again, got to say thanks to Mat for organising the weekend, and to everyone else for being so 'normal' (well apart from LRoM) and making us first time social goers welcome (again, apart from LRoM who was his usual insulting self).

We had a great day finally putting faces to names, getting lost round Manchester (posh people and Sat Navs [ii]), watching in horror/disbelief as the staff at the Indian decide to use an old pasting table as an extension to an already mish-mashed table, shooting little kids in laserquest and many more exciting events of the day. However, for me the highlight was finding out the our resident Northern hater, LRoM, is in fact a Northerner himself, born nr Sheffield, somewhere beginning with R (LSoM's knowledge of northern UK isn't the greatest!) which is something he keeps very quiet about.

We are already looking forward to the next social (March did you say Pete[;)][;)]) when hopefully we will see you all again and meet some more of our fellow V-Flyers.

Thanks again to everyone
Neil
#432826 by RichardMannion
27 Jan 2008, 21:48
I worked out the SatNav was trying to direct us away from the North hence it sending us in that direction yesterday.

I enjoyed the weekend, and it was good to see the regulars and the new social people - even Neil [:p]. The Concorde tour was great and so was Laserquest. Shame the evening meal was marred by crap service, and the most ambitious piece of group bill padding ever by a restaurant.

Next social is next Saturday with the Destinations travel show in London - should be fun.

Thanks,
Richard
#432827 by Glider Pilot
27 Jan 2008, 22:05
Dear All

Just to thank everyone for a great PCP weekend. Special thanks to everyone who organised the tour of Concorde and the laster quest - was really great fun.
Was nice to meet you all and looking foward to seeing you at a future V Flyer do!

Dan
#432832 by Bazz
27 Jan 2008, 23:14
As someone who would have liked to be there but was unable to make it, I am glad you all had a great time - what we need now is more pics in the gallery please!
#432833 by Darren Wheeler
27 Jan 2008, 23:20
Have just got home after a torturous journey. Virgin Trains= Great. Great Western Trains= Great (surprisingly) TFL=Lousy! Some damn fool decided to close both the Hammersmith and Circle lines and wasn't too helpful about notices. Let 3 trains pass before an announcement saying to go via Baker St.

Anyway, a very enjoyable weekend was had. New faces, old faces and bare faced cheek in Shimla Pink. I had my first experience of Canal St, very entertaining for me.

The Concorde tour was fantastic and thoroughly recommended for anyone interested in aviation. Worth it to sit in those leather seats and touch a part of history. A damp eye after watching the BA Farewell film too. Will sort out the photos tomorrow and post.

Looking forward to the next event on Saturday.
See you all again soon
#432861 by Darren Wheeler
28 Jan 2008, 15:07
I've now uploaded the group image on the steps of ConcordŽ.

Sorry, but not the best image I've ever done (excuses coming up). A bit grainy as I had to boost the ISO to get a decent shutter speed, all the white plays havoc with the exposure and a lot to get in.

I have added a clear blue sky to replace the gray gloom. A high-res image is on Flickr. Link
#432886 by VS075
28 Jan 2008, 19:02
Originally posted by Bazz
As someone who would have liked to be there but was unable to make it, I am glad you all had a great time - what we need now is more pics in the gallery please!

I second this, and am glad to hear that the first V-Flyer 'upp norf' was a success and that everyone had a good time.

Out of interest, what was everybody up to in between the end of the Concorde tour and going to Shimla Pinks? Simply because I ended up leaving Lancaster University (open day there being the reason why I pulled out originally) an hour earlier than anticipated and basically had 2pm-8pm to kill and only thinking about it now I could've ended up meeting up with you all for a while and taking part in Laserquest after all.

*Note to Pete, add a man hitting wall smilie*

P.S. Satnavs are rubbish! [:p]
#432890 by Neil
28 Jan 2008, 19:54
Originally posted by VS075
Out of interest, what was everybody up to in between the end of the Concorde tour and going to Shimla Pinks?

Well when we eventually got to the Trafford centre! food was eaten, shopping was done and laser quest was played, very casual and free really. Most then went back to the apartments for a couple of drinks before the walk to the Indian, which continued, what for me seemed to be a theme of the weekend, of us getting lost and lots of people on very posh phone type things trying to work out where we were and where we were going!

Neil
#432891 by Darren Wheeler
28 Jan 2008, 20:01
Good job we did eat at the Trafford too. I didn't get lost, just had a momentary lack of latitude and longditude. Where's Harrison when you need him.
#432921 by buns
28 Jan 2008, 23:05
Sincere thanks to Mat for organising both the Concorde trip and the Laserquest[oo][oo][oo]

Concorde
For an old lag like myself, the pre briefing in the nose section just added to the nostalgia of boarding Concorde for the first time in my life. It was a little windswept out on the tarmac but well worth the information we all learnt about how the technical problems were overcome. Pity we didn't have time to do a paint job on G-BOAC and get her into VS colours[}:)]

Laserquest

This was clearly for the fittest (that's why i opted out at the last knockings) judging by all the flushed faces after the tournament. Little mention has been made of the 'opposition' who consisted of some 7/8 year olds - all of whom seemed to do better[:w]

All in all a fantastic weekend, the opportunity for everyone to drop in when they could was a great success.

Sorry Mrs Buns & i did not get the opportunity to say good-bye to many, the combination of chatting and awaiting a table a a very good Italian restaurant meant time rushed by and any attempt to find the rest of the crew in Canal Street would have been fraught with being accosted by young people, none of whom seemed to realise it was damn cold[:0]

Extra bonuses for Mrs buns was seeing Noddy Holder, the Tottenham Football Team and having a view of Coronation Street from the hotel room[y][y][y]

Once again, thanks for a great time Mat, thanks for the organising and here's looking to the next Social

buns
Virgin Atlantic