A forum for discussion of Social Activities
#255600 by Decker
18 Aug 2008, 18:40
Some of you will be aware of my long standing fixation with Dean Friedman - an American Singer/Songwriter. He's currently on UK tour and Mrs D and I are off to see him at the Cavern Club in Liverpool on Saturday 25th October. As there are frequent complaints that V-Flyer socials are southern biased we decided it'd be fun to throw the weekend open to other V-Flyers - come to the European City of Culture 2008. There's a lot going on there to suit all pockets! There are some great hotels and some even better restaurants!

We'd keep the weekend organic - the only thing set in stone is the gig for us :)
#450878 by HighFlyer
18 Aug 2008, 21:30
I'm likely out of the country, but I would love to go just to see what all the darned fuss is about! [:D]

Thanks,
Sarah
#450882 by avalon
18 Aug 2008, 21:39
How strange the timing of your post is. We were only discussing Dean Friedman over dinner at the weekend, saying how long lasting his music is. We will be in the States on the 25th - we have never seen him live. Lucky Stars is still one of my faves.
#450883 by Decker
18 Aug 2008, 21:51
Well checkout http://www.deanfriedman.com - he has plenty more dates scattered around the country! His first UK single was the first single I ever bought when I had a decent HiFi (Sony TA88 :>) so I've followed him since. His last few albums have been paid for by fan subscriptions and he's toured each year for a while now.
#450884 by buns
18 Aug 2008, 21:59
I would have loved to have joined you both, and whilst I might not be classed as a fan, I certainly have appreciated his music over the years.

Regrettably, Mrs Buns & I will be visiting Wembley the next day to see the NFL game being played there and so will have to forego not only seeing Dean, but meeting up with good people too[:#]

buns
#450888 by RichardMannion
18 Aug 2008, 22:21
I'm cleaning the oars on our rowing machine on that day, or was it emptying the ashtray on the motorboke - one of the two for sure.... [:p]
#450893 by Decker
18 Aug 2008, 22:39
Philistine :)
#450905 by pjh
18 Aug 2008, 23:42
Feck! He did three nights in Grassmarket ! Mind you, I was in Cuba at the time. Would have been fun to see him some 20-odd.. cough... cough.. years since we saw him in Manchester....

Paul
#450910 by Decker
19 Aug 2008, 00:13
Glad you liked Cuba. Diving was not good when I was last there :(... Ended up having to dive wrong coast due to storms. Still at least I have Bay of Pigs in my dive log now! Dean remains the consummate show man AND still hits the high notes in 'Ariel' :>
#450913 by mcmbenjamin
19 Aug 2008, 01:25
Originally posted by RichardMannion
I'm cleaning the oars on our rowing machine on that day, or was it emptying the ashtray on the motorboke - one of the two for sure.... [:p]

Do you have a rowing machine or a motorbike?
#450917 by HighFlyer
19 Aug 2008, 10:06
Originally posted by mcmbenjamin
Do you have a rowing machine or a motorbike?

We do have a rowing machine. I'm not allowed a motorbike as i'd be likely to kill myself [:D]

Thanks,
Sarah
Virgin Atlantic