A forum for discussion of Social Activities
#256374 by preiffer
01 Oct 2008, 22:25
UPDATE: 01/12 - We're now locked in - with 32 tickets [y]. If anyone else (last minute stragglers are a past-time for v-flyer [;)] now wants to come along, please get in touch asap...!

UPDATE: 10/10 - We're all booked! Those on the list below, are confirmed now onboard. If you're still interested, please contact me and we'll see what can be done to extend the group booking but alas, there are now no guarantees...

OK Boys and Girls, the moment you've all been waiting for!

You haven't even THOUGHT about how much money you're going to spend prior to Christmas, but here's a way of spending some money (in a much better fashion) after Christmas anyway... [y]

This year, we're going to make a bit of a 'departure' (ha ha!) from the normal deal of staying put for the PCP, and we're going to use those passports. [:D]

The PCP 2009 venue is therefore....

[img]http://www.dryocean.com/eurostar.jpg[/img]

PARIS!

And no, I'm not kidding [^][^][^][^][^][^][^]

What's the plan?

So here's the deal:

We now have a group reservation set up with Eurostar - for a dedicated part of 'carraige 1', with groups of 4 tables on a day-trip train from London to Paris. This means, we can pretty much take over the place for the 2.5 hour journey there and back. [y]

Obviously we must be 'relatively well behaved' [:w] BUT it should be a hell of a laugh. Eurostar are going to assist with restaurant reservations in Paris, etc. should people wish to eat the other side, and there's around 7 hours of clear 'free time' for us to suitably terrorise the Parisian locals and maybe even pop in to see Mr Eiffel and his wonderful tower... [}:)]

When is it?

Train details are below:

17th January:
Leave London: 09:26, Arrive Paris: 12:47

Leave Paris: 20:13, Arrive London: 21:41

Obviously, for some, there's the option (or necessity) of staying over the night before/after (bear in mind there may be wine purchases both on and off-board the train on our return [:w]) - and we'll be helping out with booking those if necessary.

What's the cost?

Because this is on a group booking, we've managed to secure a price of 55 return, per person, all-inclusive. Now that's the cheapest you'll see any Eurostar ticket - so for those who've not been in 'Le Tunnel' before, what better opportunity are you going to get???

Lunch, drinks, shopping, is obviously not part of that deal - and for that budget, well, let your post-Christmas wallets decide... [;)]

How do I secure my place?

Due to the nature of group bookings, we DO have to prebook. We have the carraige held with Eurostar right now, but MUST confirm numbers by October 9th (that's next Thursday!). At which point, we have to pay the deposit of 25% based on number of tickets booked. If you'd like to go, you MUST let us know (either a PM to myself, or a post in this thread will suffice) by this time.

I'll make the deposit payment based on this number, but by confirming your attendance, you are committing to pay the 13.75 deposit amount as soon as possible after we have our ticket confirmation.

All is not lost if you can't confirm yet! Eurostar WILL add people on to the group at a later date, but they CANNOT guarantee that it will be at the same price (it won't), or that they can seat any additonals in the same area of the train. Quick answer, if you want to come across, the 13.75 deposit's probably a wise move [y]

So there you have it! COME ALONG, you know it makes sense.... [;)]

Who's going already?

Nottingham Nick & Mrs Nick
preiffer
Decker and Mrs Decker
Richard Mannion & Highflyer
ChuckC (woohooo!)
fozzyo & Wolves27
Pete & Marcus
Tinkerbelle
Darren Wheeler
James (vegascrazy) & Steve (s-pressobeen)
Gliderpilot
McMaddog + 'the parents' (+2)
buns4vs & Mrs buns
TonyS
daharris
Sealink + 1
slinky09
mcmbenjamin
#455930 by Darren Wheeler
01 Oct 2008, 23:23
Count me in.

I finish nights that morning so if leave is not forthcoming, you may have to poke me all day to keep me awake.
#455940 by Vegascrazy
02 Oct 2008, 01:09
Sounds fantastic Paul! Please count in myself & Steve [y]

James

PS: How many miles to upgrade to 1st? [;)]
#455959 by preiffer
02 Oct 2008, 10:56
Originally posted by Vegascrazy
PS: How many miles to upgrade to 1st? [;)]

Actually quite reasonable. We're offering a UA-style first. Buy me 20,000 VS miles and I'll guarantee you:

A window seat
...with extra legroom (you'll be opposite Richard)
A 'light snack' (peanuts) included
A hot towel (don't ask) before arrival.

I'll forward my FC details when you're ready to go ahead with the upgrade [y]
#455967 by Darren Wheeler
02 Oct 2008, 11:47
I now have the leave so will be awake for the whole trip.

The Travelodge at Euston (half a mile away) has some double rooms for £35 a night. I've booked one and it is still showing that price as available. Pre-trip party?
#455994 by preiffer
02 Oct 2008, 15:29
Quick update:

The original booking was for a guaranteed 12 and we've just upped that to a guaranteed 20 (we're at 17 right now).

Because of the 'upping', the deposit for the 20's been paid to secure the carriage. Now, Eurostar HAVE said that they may not be able to honour the price of £55 'ongoing' if the numbers keep increasing beyond their standard allocation.

Short version of the above: If you want to get on the £55 train, let us know ASAP [;)]
#455997 by McMaddog
02 Oct 2008, 15:46
Hmmn not very generous of them considering the standrd price for this journey is £59 on the website
#455998 by iforres1
02 Oct 2008, 15:54
Damm, another function I am going to miss[:#]

A nice trip though.

Memo to Bazz, please book boat trip for the end weekend of July[;)]

Iain
#456003 by preiffer
02 Oct 2008, 16:36
Originally posted by McMaddog
Hmmn not very generous of them considering the standrd price for this journey is £59 on the website
i'd say 10% off is quite reasonable, given a dedicated cabin and not having to confirm actual names until 48 hours before travel. Oh, and not having to pay for the full ticket until December...

Do I take it you're coming along then David, or just comparison shopping? [;)] [:w]
#456004 by McMaddog
02 Oct 2008, 16:39
Well since it's my birthday ... can't decide about staying overnight though ... do you need to know that now?
#456005 by preiffer
02 Oct 2008, 16:43
nan, just need the numbers, that's all [:)]

Go on, you know it makes sense...!
#456006 by McMaddog
02 Oct 2008, 16:44
Originally posted by preiffer
nan, just need the numbers, that's all [:)]

Go on, you know it makes sense...!

Hehe OK, put me down for 3 then [^]

Thanks very much!
#456007 by preiffer
02 Oct 2008, 16:59
Ummm. That should have said nah, not nan! Bloody iPhones!
#456008 by McMaddog
02 Oct 2008, 17:05
Ummm. That should have said nah, not nan! Bloody iPhones!

ha, and with me being a programmer I thought that was n(not) a n(number)
Same point I suppose!
#456080 by Wolves27
03 Oct 2008, 05:14
Yes me and Mat are in, despite our loathing of Paris (maybe it'll be better with a load of V-Flyers in tow).

Just to confirm it will be there and back on the Saturday 17th, as I have to be bright and chipper for a trade show on the Sunday morning in Earls Court.

Cheers!

Dean
#456082 by buns
03 Oct 2008, 06:02
Paul

If we are not too late, can Mrs Buns & I be added to this august gathering[:D]

Many thanks

buns
#456088 by HighFlyer
03 Oct 2008, 09:37
Yay, the more the merrier! [:)]

Thanks,
Sarah
#456089 by preiffer
03 Oct 2008, 09:41
Yup, and yup - there and back in the day, Dean [:)]
#456104 by McMaddog
03 Oct 2008, 13:38
Originally posted by Vegascrazy
Sounds fantastic Paul! Please count in myself & Steve [y]

For my birthday I'm bringing my folks along, so expect a load more questions about LAS and SFO!
It'll be great to see everyone again.
#456107 by ChuckC
03 Oct 2008, 14:06
Originally posted by buns4vs
Paul

If we are not too late, can Mrs Buns & I be added to this august gathering[:D]

Many thanks

buns

Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!! It wouldn't be a party without the Buns contingent.

Chuck-
#456143 by Neil
04 Oct 2008, 00:54
Damn you V-Flyer. Luke and I would both love to come, and probably will do, but until we are both back home on the 11th and checked our diaries then we can't confirm. I guess we will just have to wait and see what the new prices come back at for extra pax.

Neil
#456168 by RichardMannion
04 Oct 2008, 13:50
Originally posted by Neil
Damn you V-Flyer. Luke and I would both love to come, and probably will do, but until we are both back home on the 11th and checked our diaries then we can't confirm. I guess we will just have to wait and see what the new prices come back at for extra pax.

Neil

It might work out the same for you, with the 1 adult and 1 child ticket...
#456170 by Darren Wheeler
04 Oct 2008, 14:08
Learn your diary, or at least put it on your phone etc.....[ii]

[:p]
#456172 by preiffer
04 Oct 2008, 14:18

Neil
Ah, for *you*, Neil, prices start at £800 return... [}:)]
#456178 by Darren Wheeler
04 Oct 2008, 14:45

Neil
Ah, for *you*, Neil, prices start at £800 return... [}:)]

Bargin. That will pay for dinner, or everyone else......

Anyway. Paul, let us know when and how you want the cash.
Virgin Atlantic