A forum for discussion of Social Activities
#257464 by Tinkerbelle
02 Jan 2009, 20:53
...and Tink has a question.

Although I been a member of VF for nearly five years, this will be my first social in that time - is it a common feeling to be quite anxious about meeting everyone??
#463384 by Darren Wheeler
02 Jan 2009, 21:22
Anxious? No. Nervous? Yes.

Don't worry though, we only haze first-timers on the return... [:D]
#463388 by buns
02 Jan 2009, 21:39
Certainly

I remember with some fondness the very first V-flyer social at the Pheasant at Heathrow and thinking to myself ' Well I'll stay an hour or so' - all these years later I have made so many great friends from a variety of backgrounds and I am glad I stayed beyond that hour.

Don't worry, no anoraks allowed[}:)][}:)][}:)]

buns
#463392 by HighFlyer
02 Jan 2009, 21:44
Ditto Buns. I was quite nervous putting faces to names the first time but now I count a large number of V-Flyers amongst my very good friends and have holidays with some, hell, I'm even marrying one [:D]

Thanks,
Sarah
#463393 by Darren Wheeler
02 Jan 2009, 21:52
quote:Originally posted by HighFlyer
hell, I'm even marrying one [:D]

Thanks,
Sarah

I should point out that marriage to a V-Flyer is not a requirement.
#463394 by Decker
02 Jan 2009, 21:55
I remember scouting for locations for that first social and driving round taking photos of possible venues for submission to those who would make the ultimate decision. I viewed the event with some trepidation but post event was just blown away my what a nice bunch of people they (we?) all are!
#463395 by Nottingham Nick
02 Jan 2009, 21:57
As Buns says, I fondly remember the first social many, many years ago. I was more than a little, apprehensive about meeting a group of people I knew so much about, because we had told each other so much on the internet, but we had never physically met.

To make sure I had someone I could talk to, I talked my Brother into coming down with me. [:w] I needn't have worried though. It is amazing that a group of people who come from such disparate (and in some case desperate) backgrounds, should gel so well.

We are still welcoming of new faces at the events and those who have been on the boat trips or other gatherings will (hopefully) confirm that we are a friendly bunch of anoraks people.

Nick
#463396 by Darren Wheeler
02 Jan 2009, 22:04
It's amazing how a few glasses of any alcohol-based beverage will help too.

My first event, very nervous about meeting such a odd friendly bunch. I was made to feel very welcome a good time was had by all. Well, except for poor Blinky, the nuclear fish.
#463416 by preiffer
03 Jan 2009, 00:02
I got attacked in the stratosphere by a rather loud football shirt wearing drunk as I walked down to the bar.

I got the measure of Mike (and Pete) from that moment alone...
#463418 by ChuckC
03 Jan 2009, 00:23
Hey, I flew from LA to meet my fellow V-Flyers for the first time. Yes, I was a bit nervous. But as the others have said, after the first few minutes it was clear to me that somehow we'd managed to become a fun group of people.

Looking forward to meeting you!

Chuck-
#463423 by slinky09
03 Jan 2009, 10:01
quote:Originally posted by Tinkerbelle

Although I been a member of VF for nearly five years, this will be my first social in that time - is it a common feeling to be quite anxious about meeting everyone??

Tinks, me too, but we can hold hands and if they're really beastly I know a good bolt hole in the centre of Paris [:I].
#463432 by mcuth
03 Jan 2009, 10:39
I'll go with what Nick & Buns said - before the day of the first social, I was a little apprehensive, but that soon faded away after meeting everyone - I knew very quickly that I was amongst friends (I think it helped having a chance meeting with Pete & PaulS in the bar of the Ibis before even setting off for the pub!).

It has been a little while since I was last at a social, but I can't wait to meet new faces and indeed get stuck into the booze with the usual old reprobates again [:D]

quote:Originally posted by preiffer
I got attacked in the stratosphere by a rather loud football shirt wearing drunk as I walked down to the bar.

I got the measure of Mike (and Pete) from that moment alone...

I'm sure I have no idea what you are referring to, or could possibly mean [:p][:D]

Cheers
Michael
#463564 by Wolves27
05 Jan 2009, 12:47
Hi Tinks

I was so nervous before meeting this lot. In fact I remember fozzyo and myself arranging to meet them at a specified location at the Virgin summer party a few years back and, spotting them before they did us thought to ourselves 'shall we leg it before they notice us?'

Fortunately we braved it and I'm so glad we did. We've met so many great people from different circles of life that we would have NEVER met if it wasn't for V-Flyer. Hell, some of them I even choose to go on holiday with [:D][y]

Will be great to meet you at last, and catch up with all the usual suspects!
#463573 by jaguarpig
05 Jan 2009, 13:39

My first social as well, hope I'm not billy no mates[:D]
#463593 by Sealink
05 Jan 2009, 15:36

We can be first timers together!
I'm nervous too - it's actually nice to know that I'm not the only one!

How do we meet up on the day? Can I wear a carnation? ;)
#463596 by Wolves27
05 Jan 2009, 15:40
quote:Originally posted by Sealink

How do we meet up on the day? Can I wear a carnation? ;)

Yes please. Under the big clock, holding a copy of Time Out [:D]
#463659 by RichardMannion
05 Jan 2009, 21:17
Bugger that, I'll be in the Business Lounge raiding the free drinks...
#463661 by buns
05 Jan 2009, 21:25
quote:Originally posted by RichardMannion
Bugger that, I'll be in the Business Lounge raiding the free drinks...

Too right[y][y]

buns
#463664 by HighFlyer
05 Jan 2009, 21:29
Champagne Bar followed by Champagne on the train ... are we going to get there and everyone will be on OJ's and Coffees? [:D]

I still want to find canned Red wine to have with my Epoisse on the train home [y]

Thanks,
Sarah
#463675 by buns
05 Jan 2009, 22:06
If we are going to talk about the return trip - who is going to provide the Alka Seltzer[}:)][}:)]

buns
#463676 by mcuth
05 Jan 2009, 22:14
The Champagne Bar opens at 7am [:w]

Sounds like an ideal breakfast to me [y]

Cheers
Michael
#463681 by Darren Wheeler
05 Jan 2009, 22:24
If Tink is buying.....

Mind, will have to find Le Cooked Breakie first.
#463686 by Wolves27
05 Jan 2009, 22:51
Is it wrong to look forward to the journey more than the city? [:I]
#463688 by Darren Wheeler
05 Jan 2009, 23:09
No as the trip comes first followed by the city. Just think of all that fois gras waiting for you.
Virgin Atlantic