16 Jun 2009, 00:29
quote:Originally posted by buns
Train Tickets booked for the 14 - 16 August for Mrs Buns & myself

Hope there are a few more to join us[:D][:D]

buns

First Class I hope.
#718338 by Sealink
16 Jun 2009, 00:55
Stewart Lee is always fantastic. I would recommend Count Arthur Strong, one of Britains most famous actors from times past, starring in such productions as All Creatures Bright and Beautiful and Bridge Up the River Kwai. He is very funny. I went to his Edinburgh preview at the Riverside Studios, where he reminisces about his acting days. Will see if I can find a link - he does have his own website so a Google search should work.
#718340 by Pete
16 Jun 2009, 02:46
This show intrigues me.

Plane Food Cafe
Inflight meals taste different on the ground. Find out how and why, perhaps weaning yourself off flying, at this pop-up art installation/restaurant serving genuine airline cuisine in plastic trays. 'Beautiful acts of absurdity' ( Guardian).

Hmmm...
#718342 by buns
16 Jun 2009, 05:14
quote:Originally posted by Darren Wheeler
Train Tickets booked for the 14 - 16 August for Mrs Buns & myself

Hope there are a few more to join us[:D][:D]

buns

First Class I hope.

Had to[:I][}:)][:I]

buns
#718676 by Darren Wheeler
18 Jun 2009, 20:52
Anyone else looking to put in an appearance?

Really need to start hotel hunting soon. [:)]
#722302 by buns
05 Aug 2009, 23:19
Bumping this as it does very much look like Mrs Buns & I will be the somewhat limited V-Flyer contingent this year for the traditional 14 - 16 August weekend[:D]

Rest assured, a full report will be given

Now to start looking for some shows to go to[}:)]

buns
#722306 by Darren Wheeler
05 Aug 2009, 23:24
Sadly I'm now destined to spend the next 2 weeks in DIY stores, builders merchants and up to my elbows in work Trying to finish the 'new' patio. Will need a week of dry-stone walling and a lie down in a darkened room to recover.
#722316 by HighFlyer
06 Aug 2009, 08:51
We'll likely be giving it a miss this year. I hope those attending have a great time!

Thanks,
Sarah
#723387 by buns
19 Aug 2009, 21:55
Well as there as there was only Mrs Buns and I attending during the traditional weekend, it would no be right to provide a full report, but a brief resume goes as follows:

Arrived to a very wet Edinburgh on the Friday afternoon, which persisted right through to the Saturday lunchtime[n]

We ensconced ourselves in the Apex City Hotel located just behind the Castle, which turned out to be a pretty central point for getting around. We had gone for a superior room which provided a few extras, so made the basic offering much more pleasurable.

On the advice of an excellent Review on Broadway Baby we went to see 'Have a Nice Life' Saturday lunchtime and afterwards met up with Pete in the newly opened Hotel Du Vin which could well be an alternative watering hole for any future visits[:w]

The obligatory Bolly was of course consumed and thereafter we were treated to a Master class in savouring the Edinburgh Fringe. Grateful thanks to Pete for taking time to foster our apprenticeship[oo][oo] The culmination was watching an excellent show based on the Blues Brothers - the enthusiasm of the cast infected the audience as a dose of swine flu and every single person in the auditorium left the performance uplifted.

After an exhausting day we returned to our Hotel to witness the other side of Edinburgh - namely the ubiquitous night life found in almost every city across the country - young people dressed up the the nines / much alcohol and falling over and the fights in the street - which seemed to provide alternative entertainment to the masses - even when the police turned up the road was blocked with onlookers.

All in all, Mrs Buns had a thoroughly enjoyable weekend and will continue to make this one of the highlights of our calendar.

buns
#723391 by RichardMannion
19 Aug 2009, 22:06
Oooh, a HdV in EDI. Now the Balmoral could be in trouble here....
#723399 by pjh
20 Aug 2009, 00:36

Arrived to a very wet Edinburgh on the Friday afternoon, which persisted right through to the Saturday lunchtime[n]
afterwards met up with Pete in the newly opened Hotel Du Vin which could well be an alternative watering hole for any future visits[:w]

Ideal location for the Fringe activities too being so close to the Pleasance Dome & Courtyard / Udderbelly / Gilded Balloon, though perhaps a little too close for a good night's sleep.

Had it but occurred to me that this was the trad weekend I could've at least waved as I trekked past there at least once a day for the past few days.

Paul
#723409 by HighFlyer
20 Aug 2009, 07:28
Thanks for the report Buns, glad that you and Mrs B had a good time!

Thanks,
Sarah
#723457 by McCoy
20 Aug 2009, 17:03
Yeah, it's once again a rather dreich August in Edinburgh, but the selection of festival shows on offer is excellent... and effectively keeping me indoors!

Lots of very good comedy this year, with assorted sketch shows, and quirky stand-ups. A particular highlight was the 'Barry & Stuart' magic show.. funny and bloody!
I also loved 'A-Team: The Musical'. The reviews varied between 1 and 5 stars, but I was well entertained.
Some good music too - the jazz festival had a very good line-up this year.

Not sure about the new Hotel d Vin. I've been there a few times after work. The location is fab, as is the little courtyard area in the middle, but the service is useless and the prices are as mental as the asylum which this building used to be. Twelve quid per glass of wine is just silly. Cross the road to Doctors pub for a thoroughly more fun ( and cheaper) evening.

PS don't mention the trams....
#723465 by pjh
20 Aug 2009, 19:53
quote:Originally posted by McCoy
PS don't mention the trams....

Could I just say...trams!

As Rich Hall put it, Princes St looks like the result of a terrorist attack, but terrorists as usually on time and under budget...
#723480 by ChuckC
21 Aug 2009, 05:10
My gosh, Buns, sounds like a drunk and disorderly lot there in Edinburgh. Pete wasn't in the middle of that mess, I trust. Did you see Tony perchance?

Chuck-

PS: Stuck as I am here in a very warm Desert my only entertainment at the moment is, I confess, the vicarious enjoyment of others' trips!
#723481 by buns
21 Aug 2009, 05:17
quote:Originally posted by ChuckC
My gosh, Buns, sounds like a drunk and disorderly lot there in Edinburgh. Pete wasn't in the middle of that mess, I trust. Did you see Tony perchance?

Chuck-

Hi Chuck

Indeed young Tony was able to join the merriment at the Hotel Du Vin.

With regards to the UK night-time economy 'entertainment' = Pete had far greater sense and was attending a midnight performance of a more artistic nature elsewhere.

If only Mrs Buns & I could be in that desert right now

Take Care

buns
Virgin Atlantic