A forum for discussion of Social Activities
#723572 by HighFlyer
22 Aug 2009, 22:23
What time do you arrive NH? I dont think we've got past plans for the Hilton bar on Friday night for those arriving the night before. Hopefully we can get some plans in the coming weeks for dinners and maybe the train museum tour?

Thanks,
Sarah
#723574 by RichardMannion
22 Aug 2009, 23:24
quote:Originally posted by Neil
Delightful news I am sure you will all agree, because it now looks like we will be making an appearance in York for this event, 80% likely to be on the Saturday evening but still to be confirmed.

Panic over everyone.

Not sure I'd agree to be honest. Don't forget to bring your note from you mum approving your day trip out. [:w]
#723581 by northernhenry
23 Aug 2009, 09:37
quote:Originally posted by HighFlyer
What time do you arrive NH? I dont think we've got past plans for the Hilton bar on Friday night for those arriving the night before. Hopefully we can get some plans in the coming weeks for dinners and maybe the train museum tour?

Thanks,
Sarah

We've managed to get mother to sit mini nh sooner so should be up for early afternoon, Train museum/ boats or if weather lousy, the jorvic centre .. there's a museum type centre just opposite the Hilton. Or failing that the pub!
If we're thinking of a mass dining - suggest we get our skates on as would need booking..
Mike
#723582 by Jacki
23 Aug 2009, 10:31
We plan to get to York for lunch on Saturday (staying at the Hilton) but I expect those arriving Friday will be out and about by then! One venue for Saturday night sounds like fun but I appreciate it will be a nightmare to organise.
#723648 by Sealink
24 Aug 2009, 14:43
At present it looks like I will be in Scotland so I have to regretfully withdraw...
#725049 by mcuth
13 Sep 2009, 10:25
So, what are the plans for the daytime on Satdi then?

Cheers
Michael
#725056 by buns
13 Sep 2009, 12:57
quote:Originally posted by mcuth
So, what are the plans for the daytime on Satdi then?

Cheers
Michael

Mrs Buns & I are scheduled to arrive in York via train at around 11am - after dropping of the cases at the hotel, we will most probably make our way over to the Train Museum, before returning to the hotel to make preparations for the evening's activities (which will most probably involve some alcohol consumption along the way)[:w][:w]

I suppose many will have their own plans for the day, involving shopping, The Shambles etc., so it might be helpful to agree some times where we can all meet up.

IIRC the 'base' will be the Hilton[?]

buns
#725064 by HighFlyer
13 Sep 2009, 14:46
We'll be up on Friday night so after a hearty breakfast we'll be free for activities. Happy to visit the train museum if we have a group that would like to do that? I havent been to York before so don't know what social activities there are.

Thanks,
Sarah
#725065 by northernhenry
13 Sep 2009, 15:39
We'll be up on Friday night so after a hearty breakfast we'll be free for activities. Happy to visit the train museum if we have a group that would like to do that? I havent been to York before so don't know what social activities there are.

Thanks,
Sarah

The Shambles (although a bit touristy),
The Minster's also worth a look inside.
The wall around the city
Jorvik Centre
Kings Arms Pub by the river, if not only to see the high water marks inside!

and the railway museum obviously..

NH
#725066 by tontybear
13 Sep 2009, 16:08
not been to York in years and otherwise engaged so not joining you all but

Clifford's tower is worth a look-see at
#725067 by Jacki
13 Sep 2009, 18:07
We will arrive at The Hilton early afternoon so if no afternoon drinking hole maybe a pre dinner meet up point -perhaps the Hilton or Hotel du Vin bar?
#725100 by Darren Wheeler
14 Sep 2009, 03:49
I'll be jogging up sometime in the afternoon and after depositing myself in the bar, will await the arrival of the thirsty travellers.
#725113 by Vegascrazy
14 Sep 2009, 10:26
Steve & I also arrive in the afternoon, I think our train gets in around 1pm. We're staying at Park Inn so will check-in there and touch base via mobile to see what's occurring [:)]

Looking forward to seeing you all again, and new faces too!
Thanks again Richard for all you've done to organise the evening meal at HDV [y]

Cheers
James
#725118 by Neil
14 Sep 2009, 11:16
We won't be up until about 6/6:30pm so will imagine we will just join you in whatever bar has been decided for pre-dinner drinks!
#725126 by HighFlyer
14 Sep 2009, 13:14
So with many arriving either Friday night or early afternoon, would it make sense to arrange a group puting somewhere (train museum perhaps) for mid afternoon and then choose a bar to convene in before dinner? The Hilton Bar is very central to us all so might make a good choice, unless locals have better recommendations?

Thanks,
Sarah
#725170 by buns
14 Sep 2009, 21:32
So with many arriving either Friday night or early afternoon, would it make sense to arrange a group puting somewhere (train museum perhaps) for mid afternoon and then choose a bar to convene in before dinner? The Hilton Bar is very central to us all so might make a good choice, unless locals have better recommendations?

Thanks,
Sarah

Sarah

Sensible as ever[oo]

Having never been to the York incarnation of the Railway Musuem, it is high on my list and will most proabaly go come what may[:w]

After a spot of lunch of course

buns
#725190 by Darren Wheeler
14 Sep 2009, 22:36
A V-Flyer social involving a bar? It'll never catch on you know.

Railway Museum is fine for me. Plus it's free so you can come and go as you like. [y]

http://www.nrm.org.uk
#725199 by Decker
14 Sep 2009, 23:34
Train Museum? sometimes I really wonder why I like such anoraks.... :P
#725202 by preiffer
15 Sep 2009, 00:24
WHERE is the banging-your-head-against-a-wall smiley?
#725264 by RichardMannion
15 Sep 2009, 12:32
quote:Originally posted by preiffer

Are you joining us in York?
#725274 by Darren Wheeler
15 Sep 2009, 14:19
quote:Originally posted by preiffer

Two words - photo ops...
#725587 by iforres1
18 Sep 2009, 07:31
I hope everybody has a great weekend in York. Its been ages since we have been to a social, but I will be raising a glass or 12 in Kyiv this weekend to you all.

Let it rip

Iain
#725589 by buns
18 Sep 2009, 09:28
quote:Originally posted by iforres1
I hope everybody has a great weekend in York. Its been ages since we have been to a social, but I will be raising a glass or 12 in Kyiv this weekend to you all.

Let it rip

Iain

Iain

It won't be the same without you and your wonderful family joining us[:#]

But if you could let us know where to send the bar bill ........... [}:)]

Take care

buns
#725607 by Scrooge
18 Sep 2009, 11:11
DV8, that's all I am saying.
Virgin Atlantic