A forum for discussion of Social Activities
#259664 by TikiJon
20 Jun 2009, 21:21
Let's try again shall we? I'm interested to learn if anyone is going to the Lovebox festival on Saturday 18th July at Victoria Park in London. Last time I just added Lovebox as the event - obviously I should have put Duran Duran because somebody must like them [^]
If not you must all have careless memories or is there something I should know?!

I don't care if anyone takes the proverbial, I saw them in 2008 at a small gig and they are still awesome. Maybe I should go to the Fillmore in SF instead? If anyone's up for it...
#718910 by Guest
20 Jun 2009, 21:33
Although I wont be attending this event - Victoria Park is very near to my house so would love to meet up for lunch or something a kin with other V-Flyers attending.

Regards,

Hackneyguy
#718911 by TikiJon
20 Jun 2009, 21:46
Frankly I think it's unlikely anyone will be attending judging from my last post lol. At least I got a reply this time though! Did you get my message?
#718914 by DragonLady
20 Jun 2009, 23:21
quote:Originally posted by TikiJon
because somebody must like them [^]

I love them -and have done since the very early 80's (I bought Planet Earth before they were famous[:)]). I saw them at Shepperton Studios in 1983 (private rehearsal) and they were fabulous. I sat on top of some enormous amps on one of the sound stages, completely agog [:)].There were no more than 30 people there (including studio staff )- awesome[:D].
I'd love to come but
i- will still be buggered from my return trip from LAX
ii- am supposed to be attending a car rally at Castle Combe and taking part in an on track event the same weekend (even though I'll probably sleep for most of the meet[:p])
Hope you have a great time [:)].
DL
#718919 by TikiJon
20 Jun 2009, 23:45
quote:Originally posted by DragonLady
quote:Originally posted by TikiJon
because somebody must like them [^]

I love them -and have done since the very early 80's (I bought Planet Earth before they were famous[:)]). I saw them at Shepperton Studios in 1983 (private rehearsal) and they were fabulous. I sat on top of some enormous amps on one of the sound stages, completely agog [:)].There were no more than 30 people there (including studio staff )- awesome[:D].
I'd love to come but
i- will still be buggered from my return trip from LAX
ii- am supposed to be attending a car rally at Castle Combe and taking part in an on track event the same weekend (even though I'll probably sleep for most of the meet[:p])
Hope you have a great time [:)].
DL

Dragonlady you are fab!
What a great thing to experience - and at the peak of their powers! Although I think the last album was one of their best[:)]

Thanks so much for telling me this - if they return I will be straight on to you!

Jonathan
#718935 by HighFlyer
21 Jun 2009, 11:47
I love Duran Duran (still). Just not keen on the words 'festival' [:)]

Thanks,
Sarah
#718956 by TikiJon
21 Jun 2009, 13:57
I know Sarah, festival isn't my favourite thing either. They're playing at Edinburgh Castle two days before, which sounds much more civilised. I haven't decided about Lovebox but if someone was going it might sway me! A bit of a guerilla attack on it really - in and out with the minimum of effort and fuss. The Fillmore in San Francisco would be much better...!

What cakes are you baking?

Jonathan
#718986 by MarkedMan
21 Jun 2009, 21:02
While not the best music venue in SF by a long shot, The Fillmore's great; bit more Sonic Youth than Duran Duran if you're into 80s music, but who cares? Might want to consider joining HL and myself on the 7th - for the flight out that is [;)]
#719054 by TikiJon
22 Jun 2009, 19:57
quote:Originally posted by MarkedMan
While not the best music venue in SF by a long shot, The Fillmore's great; bit more Sonic Youth than Duran Duran if you're into 80s music, but who cares? Might want to consider joining HL and myself on the 7th - for the flight out that is [;)]

I am seriously tempted to - don't think I can really justify the miles. Hmmm, thanks, I might be spontaneous for once in my life!
#719093 by MarkedMan
23 Jun 2009, 05:06
Exactly a year ago to this day, I found myself in London, at the Camden Roundhouse, for the first MBV concerts in 17 years. I had to go through considerable hoops to make that, and of course they also played SF in September at the Concourse - and I went there too. AND I have the earplugs to prove it, though of course I elected to not make use of them. And I've been playing them today, and I am SO glad I did it last year - would not have wanted to miss it. It actually turned out to be one of my best ever trips back, in the end, even ended up attended my first formal Oxford end of year dinner - right off the plane from SF - with all the attending wine cellar emptying that characterizes those events.

In the end, the music made the trip. It's very, very hard for me to think of how someone might feel the same way about Duran Duran. [;)] Yet if you do, organizing a fab trip around it all will make the whole experience even better.
#719099 by TikiJon
23 Jun 2009, 09:58
Cheers Marked Man, I agree, it can be the basis for a great trip.
I know people don't care for DD - guess I've liked them for a LONG time now, and still enjoy the next thing they come up with. Bottom line is I still really like the sounds and production that come together - I'm not an 80's retro fan, I like them all the way through! We can't all like the same thing, although I've always thought the world would be a happier place if we did.

MBV is My Bloody Valentine correct? I don't mind them [8D]
#719100 by pjh
23 Jun 2009, 10:06
quote:Originally posted by MarkedMan
In the end, the music made the trip. It's very, very hard for me to think of how someone might feel the same way about Duran Duran. [;)]

Neither MBV nor Duran Duran float my boat, but I can understand the impulse to make the trip for the music. I did it to the West Coast of the US in 2002 and 2003 and both times were excellent fun.

Paul
Virgin Atlantic