A forum for discussion of Social Activities
#259682 by fozzyo
22 Jun 2009, 11:12
I know there are many geeks on here who may be interested in this, so thought I'd share. I am planning on finally visiting Bletchley Park this year, home to the WW2 code breakers, Enigma, Colossus and lots of other geeky stuff including the Computer Museum.

quote:The Computer Museum at Bletchley Park is the UK's only hands on exhibition of computing hardware and software technology. It traces the development of the computer from its origins with the Colossus, invented during the Second World War to break Lorenz codes through the mainframes of the 1960's, mini computers, homebuilt micros to the PC's of today. The vast majority of our exhibits are fully operational and you can come and play with the computers you remember from years ago or discover something new.

Let me know if you would be interested, it would be either a Thursday or Saturday, prob the Saturday. If we get enough people may be able to get a group booking.

Mat
#719008 by Darren Wheeler
22 Jun 2009, 11:29
Excellent idea. Hopefully help save it from falling into ruin too.
#719009 by pjh
22 Jun 2009, 11:31
I went to Bletchley Park only the other week. It's not slick and is charmingly ragged at some points and is well worth going to. Most of the working exhibits - save for the original Enigma machines themselves - have been reconstructed by enthusiasts from pictures, memories and some blueprints. Put your maths hats on though.

It's run by a Trust and you can Gift Aid your 10 entry (which gives you a year's access). It's hidden within a housing estate near the IKEA in Milton Keynes.

Though the site is obviously much shrunk from what it once was, the main house and some grounds are still there giving the opportunity to picnic.

Paul
#719018 by Sealink
22 Jun 2009, 12:28
I'd be up for a visit.
#719036 by HighFlyer
22 Jun 2009, 13:34
I'd be up for this.

Thanks,
Sarah
#719040 by TikiJon
22 Jun 2009, 13:58
Would be interested too,