A forum for discussion of Social Activities
#728996 by Guest
02 Nov 2009, 16:22
Well Darren, it will get worse once i get there !!! Once met never forgotten....
#728997 by Guest
02 Nov 2009, 16:35
In addition to having a certain local 'reputation' (red lights and all that stuff that goes on the the area - I only live a couple of miles from it so am well aware of what goes on (and off !)) just read the reviews. I would certainly not let any of my friends stay there.

Please re-consider.

(I think it would make The Adelphi seem like 5* and it's clients too (hasten to add I have NEVER stayed at either but I am aware of people that have lived to regret their accommodation mistakes - hey Catherine !)).

HG
#729006 by buns
02 Nov 2009, 20:32
I have to come 'clean' (if that is the operative word) to describe my experience at the Royal Scot last year[:(!]

Mrs Buns & I found mould growing in our bathroom[:0][:0] and as a consequence, she vowed never to take another step into a Travelodge again. I know others had a much better experience.

I have never stayed at this year's chosen venue, but on the basis that Mrs Buns would not let me make a decision that involved the word 'Travelodge' I was left with little option but to go to our usual bolt hole when staying up in Town.

buns
#729014 by Guest
02 Nov 2009, 21:36
Ooh Ian..Liverpool..

Do you remember i had a little visitor from the previous guest !!!! how nasty..

Also the phone in the room was bigger than the bed .. such a lovely hotel..
#729048 by jaguarpig
03 Nov 2009, 10:56
quote:Originally posted by buns
I have to come 'clean' (if that is the operative word) to describe my experience at the Royal Scot last year[:(!]

buns

It was a grotty hole,hope the other one is better, but to be honest I wasn't in the hotel more than a few hours and the majority of those not sober.The Euston Hilton was coming out double the money and then some,so its a no brainer really.Sure Mrs JP will love it.[:D]

I remember wiring a couple of bus shelters up at the side of Kings Cross about 20 years ago when the area was indeed rather colourful[:D]
#729103 by mcuth
03 Nov 2009, 20:03
quote:Originally posted by jaguarpig
but to be honest I wasn't in the hotel more than a few hours and the majority of those not sober.

Absolutely true here too - and I hate paying good money for lovely surroundings/furnishings that I'll barely use/see (and will hardly remember!) [:o)][:D]

Cheers
Michael
#729129 by buns
03 Nov 2009, 22:47
quote:Originally posted by mcuth
quote:Originally posted by jaguarpig
but to be honest I wasn't in the hotel more than a few hours and the majority of those not sober.

Absolutely true here too - and I hate paying good money for lovely surroundings/furnishings that I'll barely use/see (and will hardly remember!) [:o)][:D]

Cheers
Michael

I would be the same, for Mrs Buns however, it is a different matter, she likes her creature comforts[:D][:D][:D]

buns
#729139 by Pete
04 Nov 2009, 00:01
quote:Originally posted by hackneyguy
In addition to having a certain local 'reputation' (red lights and all that stuff that goes on the the area - I only live a couple of miles from it so am well aware of what goes on (and off !)) just read the reviews. I would certainly not let any of my friends stay there.

Please re-consider.

(I think it would make The Adelphi seem like 5* and it's clients too (hasten to add I have NEVER stayed at either but I am aware of people that have lived to regret their accommodation mistakes - hey Catherine !)).

HG

Pah. I stayed in Farringdon Travelodge for an extended period last year, and thought it was fine (especially for the money). Right opposite the Holiday Inn Express (which I've also stayed in, and doesn't suffer from a 'reputation' either), and just behind the hotel are some of the most beautiful (and clearly expensive) residential squares I've seen in London. Perhaps further down King's Cross Rd toward Farringdon tube it might be a bit seedier - but the immediate locale around the Travelodge itself is fine.

Agree with other comments that the Royal Scot is a hole though. I remember thinking how odd it was that the two hotels were so close in location, but the Royal Scot was so noticeably worse than Farringdon.
#729140 by Darren Wheeler
04 Nov 2009, 00:20
So I'll have to walk further for a Lady of Negotiable Affection? [;)]
#729141 by Pete
04 Nov 2009, 00:22
quote:Originally posted by Darren Wheeler
So I'll have to walk further for a Lady of Negotiable Affection? [;)]

I imagine a few do Out Calls if you want to save the walk...
#729148 by mcuth
04 Nov 2009, 08:58
quote:Originally posted by buns
I would be the same, for Mrs Buns however, it is a different matter, she likes her creature comforts[:D][:D][:D]

Oh completely understand that too [:)]

Cheers
Michael
#729156 by Guest
04 Nov 2009, 10:57
quote:Originally posted by Pete
[br), and just behind the hotel are some of the most beautiful (and clearly expensive) residential squares I've seen in London.

That is one of the things I do love about living in London. You can live in one of the most expensive propertys in the nicest of roads/squares in a borough like Hackney/Camden &/or Islington but right around the corner, or end of your road in my case, can be one of the most dubious housing estates in the country. It is a city of extremes and that makes it an exciting and colourful place to live (esp in Hackney !) as long as you know where to go, aviod and play safe [y]

HG
#731377 by JAT74L
06 Dec 2009, 14:30
Myself and Iain will be in the Holiday Inn - Bloomsbury (Coram St).
#734408 by preiffer
14 Jan 2010, 21:18
Ok... So - in the 'better than last year' farringdon travelodge now...

Good bar. Bad rooms, complete with mould on ceiling.... Joy.
#734409 by Pete
14 Jan 2010, 21:39
The Travelodge Farringdon lacks a bar, but no matter, as there's a decent pub next door on the corner opposite the Holiday Inn (and that's the pub Buns selected for our meeting point prior-Ruby tomorrow).
#734414 by Darren Wheeler
14 Jan 2010, 22:15
quote:Originally posted by preiffer
Ok... So - in the 'better than last year' farringdon travelodge now...

Good bar. Bad rooms, complete with mould on ceiling.... Joy.

That's just the rooms they give you [:p]
#734424 by preiffer
14 Jan 2010, 22:55
The Travelodge Farringdon lacks a bar, but no matter, as there's a decent pub next door on the corner opposite the Holiday Inn (and that's the pub Buns selected for our meeting point prior-Ruby tomorrow).

Errr - there's a bar here Pete, we've been in it [?]
#734428 by Pete
14 Jan 2010, 23:18
Really, there's a bar in the Farringdon Travelodge? Must be tiny!

Shame about your room - I've stayed there about 8 times over the past two years and not had a dud yet.
#734430 by honey lamb
14 Jan 2010, 23:24
quote:Originally posted by preiffer

Errr - there's a bar here Pete, we've been in it [?]

Perhaps you are confusing it with a mini-bar in your room? [:w]

Hold on, we're talking about a Travelodge, aren't we
#734441 by preiffer
15 Jan 2010, 07:58
Going to move rooms this morning.

Apparently, the royal suite was reserved for a 'Madame Shaw' so we're seeing if we can bump that person to get the mould-free option... [:w]
#734453 by preiffer
15 Jan 2010, 11:31
OK, Farringdon Travelodge update...

There are TWO 'blocks'. One in the main reception part of the building, with the bar and lifts (Pete - this is where the bar is) and another across the entrance driveway.

The OTHER block is the NEW one. (with, believe it or not, multi-glazed glass, the works!). The Block where reception is has the old rooms with the 'we are aware of the mould problem' challenges and the 'yes, we know the double bed is actually two singles at different heights' issues.

So I'd suggest to all those who are staying here, make sure you're in the NEW block across the driveway, through the glass door...
#734737 by buns
18 Jan 2010, 22:16
Good job this was not the favoured choice[:0]

Perhaps the Farringdon Travelodge was not so bad after all

buns
#734745 by Guest
18 Jan 2010, 23:54
We got the new block.. across the road room 5..
#734746 by honey lamb
19 Jan 2010, 00:18
My main crib about the hotel was that there were no hairdryers in the room and I had to go to Reception with wet hair to ask for one. [V] On the Saturday I was asked if I could wait half an hour. It was almost dry as it was but I needed a dryer to put it into shape. As a result I ended up looking like a dog's dinner by the end of the day [:#]
Virgin Atlantic