A forum for discussion of Social Activities
#746969 by Nottingham Nick
31 May 2010, 09:43
Anyone (apart from Pete- who is there for the duration) thinking of going?

We fancy a weekend up there, as we missed it last year. If it coincides with any other V-Flyers being there, so much the better.

Nick
#746982 by honey lamb
31 May 2010, 13:32
Same here
#746989 by buns
31 May 2010, 16:43
Unlikely that mrs Buns & I will be there this year :#

Whilst we enjoy the suroundings (not to mention the company) the hills will play play havoc with her knees v(

buns

Edit

However, I could be permitted to travel on my own :D Like others, it depends on dates working out
#746990 by McCoy
31 May 2010, 16:55
Surprisingly little buzz about it this year...

The programme is due out soon, but normally by now we are hearing of some big names and top tips. But this year, nada.

Perhaps there's a small dilution effect - there are even more 'other' festivals going on this year.
#746991 by Nottingham Nick
31 May 2010, 16:57
This year's extravaganza is from 6th - 30th August.
We deliberately keep August fairly clear so could probably do most of them.

Pete - as the resident Edinburgh Festival guru - any suggestions, or should we wait until the programme is announced?

Nick
#747067 by Pete
01 Jun 2010, 01:11
The first weekend is always good for 2-for-1 deals, but it does get crowded and the shows can be a bit ropey in their first few performances (there is hardly any tech time in Edinburgh, so companies tend to use the first weekend as rehearsals)

Second weekend isn't a bad option, as most full-run shows will have bedded in, and the reviews will be out so you can start to see what's worth seeing before they completely sell out.

Third weekend has the advantage of the cross-over for those shows only doing half the month, and it starts to get a little quieter in Edinburgh.

Last weekend gets pretty quiet, and the performers can get a bit tired. After a month of intense shows, it takes it out of everyone, so the final weekend tends to be winding-down time, with a lot of shows normally closing either the Saturday or Sunday before the official last day on the Bank Holiday Monday.

I haven't actually booked accommodation yet, but will be looking into it now I'm back from the US.
#747600 by honey lamb
07 Jun 2010, 23:09
Hmmmm! Entirely do-able from Shannon on Ryanair for about €50. EI from Cork is three times that amount :0 The downside is that the FR flight gets in at about midnight and leaves at about 1-ish on Sunday

Go on! Twist my arm! LOL!
#747637 by Nottingham Nick
08 Jun 2010, 16:58
Nottingham Nick wrote:Given Pete's advice. We are looking to go up Friday 20th August until the evening of Sunday 22nd August.

Nick

Addendum to above - date clash. Not sure when / if we can go now.
Hope to sort it in next few days.
Virgin Atlantic