A forum for discussion of Social Activities
#4670 by Nottingham Nick
04 Mar 2005, 00:02
Ladies and Gentlemen

Welcome to the V-Flyer Social Mk IV - 'Viva Las V-Flyer'

The plan is quite simple - after a few very successful social gatherings in the UK, we have decided to spread our wings, and take the show on the road (or to be more accurate - into the sky).

Never ones to think small, our first jaunt overseas will be to the fabulous city of Las Vegas, and all visitors to V-Flyer are cordially invited to join in the fun.

Click this link for the latest news - the September update.

If you check out the forums, there are several threads running about the trip, but in summary - Because we are not ABTA or ATOL bonded, and because lots of our happy band want to make use of their FC points, we have decided that all transatlantic travel arrangements will be left up to individual attendees. Having said that, you can see from the forums that the bulk of those travelling will be returning on the same flight... more of that later.

The plan is to meet in Vegas on or around Monday 7th November 2005 where we will remain until either Friday 11th or Saturday 12th November, depending on your own personal choice.

Once we get to Vegas, – jetwet1, with his contacts at the Stratosphere, has been able to negotiate an excellent room rate of $45 per night for Premier Tower Rooms. There is no obligation to make use of this offer, but it would be nice if the bulk the group was together.

Members are welcome to join us for however long they want during this period - whether that's all the days or just a couple. We are planning a number of events during the course of the get together... details to be announced soon.

The bulk of the V-Flyer party are returning to the UK on Saturday 12th November, on VS20 which leaves SFO at 1645. By a very happy coincidence, this will give us chance to have an 'end of trip fling' in everyone's favourite Clubhouse. :D;)

Don't worry too much if you don't plan to travel UC or are not a Gold card holder, we currently have several such people - who are willing to invite a guest to join them.

This thread will remain a sticky and, in the not too distant future, I will be adding a list of attendees and their dates of travel.

So.... what are you waiting for?... come and join us.

It should be a great trip.

If you are interested, please post a reply to this thread and we will be in touch.

Nick

Sorry Nick - Hope you don't mind, but I've hijacked the front page, to put the "consolidated list" of flyers up...

Obviously not forgetting Dave & Chuck, who are relatively on-site, I've pulled the list of confirmed flights from members throughout the 12 pages of info here into this very basic list. If we can get the internal flights detailed, too, we will have a definitive list for people to make plans against. I'm happy to collate info if anyone has any additions/corrections, and I'll put the seat numbers (where they're mentioned) up in the morning

Confirmed Flights for V-Flyers: (Apologies for formatting!)

Member...........O/B..............I/B

iforres1.........VS43-4/11(J).....VS20-12/11(J)
onionz...........VS43-6/11(J).....VS20-12/11(J)
mitchja..........VS43-6/11(J).....VS20-12/11(J)
Nottingham Nick..VS07-5/11(Y).....VS20-12/11(Y)
Derby Dave.......VS07-5/11(Y).....VS20-12/11(Y)
Bazz.............VS07-1/11(J).....VS20-12/11(J)
Birkin...........VS07-1/11(J).....VS20-12/11(J)
pixuk............VS19-4/11(W).....VS20-12/11(J)
RichardMannion...VS19-4/11(W).....VS20-12/11(W)
Decker...........VS19-5/11(J).....VS20-12/11(J)
Buns4VS..........VS19-5/11(W).....VS20-12/11(W)
mcuth............VS19-5/11(Y).....VS20-12/11(J)

Paul.
#54848 by mcuth
04 Mar 2005, 08:57
Aye, count me in ;)

Would like to travel on the same planes as the group, but perhaps making my own arrangements WRT flight costs :D

Cheers

Michael
#54853 by iforres1
04 Mar 2005, 11:23
Still intereted (although Mrs F needs further convincing)but we would probably be looking at flying LGW-LAS on the 4/11 and back SFO-LHR on th 13/11. Price for UC quoted roundtrip £2364 incl taxes. Would still like to travel as group though for the craic. Anybody any other ideas. Like the idea of a convention:DDo we get to dress up:D:D
#54865 by Scrooge
04 Mar 2005, 13:07
no surprise here,but me and the mrs will be in Vegas then
#54866 by fozzyo
04 Mar 2005, 13:30
Still keeping an eye on this ... just in case we can afford it.

Have to say really like the proposal. I think it makes it a lot easier doing this rather then trying to organise a group trip around the world. The price of the hotel is a steal too.

Foz :o)
#54887 by RichardMannion
04 Mar 2005, 20:03
Hi Guys,

I am likely to be in the US anwyay at this time for my tour of celebration for my 25th birthday, so will most likely fly in for a few days of fun.

Thanks,
Richard
#54890 by mcuth
04 Mar 2005, 20:59
quote:Originally posted by RichardMannion
celebration for my 25th birthday

Due to such an auspicious occasion, will the Diet Coke be retired for the celebrations? Enquiring minds want to know ;)

Cheers

Michael
#54895 by pegitt
04 Mar 2005, 21:23
quote:Originally posted by mcuth
quote:Originally posted by RichardMannion
celebration for my 25th birthday

Due to such an auspicious occasion, will the Diet Coke be retired for the celebrations? Enquiring minds want to know ;)

ROTFLMAOPMP

well you can drink at the age of 21 in the US oh and the legal age in the UK is 18.;):D:D

Cheers

Phil
#54901 by mcuth
04 Mar 2005, 21:39
quote:Originally posted by pegitt
well you can drink at the age of 21 in the US oh and the legal age in the UK is 18.;):D:D

So he's got at least 4 years to catch up on then? :D:D

Cheers

Michael
#54931 by pegitt
05 Mar 2005, 03:43
Back on topic the prices look good but i may go to Ft Lauderdale to catch the end of the boat show then fly in to Vegas and return with the group from SFO.

So i guess you can count me in as well.

Cheers

Phil
#54933 by onionz
05 Mar 2005, 06:31
OK, i'm in!

And I've gone just an incy wincy step further!

Put it this way: I did have 78086 miles in my Flying Club account...now there's 86. [:0][:p]

Yes i've been a bit rash here. Here's what i've done:

Sunday 6th November LGW-LAS UC
Saturday 12th November SFO-LHR UC

I expect many will want to go back on the Sunday but i'd rather not lose another day of leave by arriving on the Monday. And this does feel kind of bad because of the availability issues and it might affect some of you. I can't argue with that [8)].

But in the absence of any better reason to delay booking I went ahead and secured my spot on VFS4 and the gamble is 25% of the miles if I have to cancel. Isn't gambling what it's all about? [8D]

p.s. A brief check of dates surrounding mine showed seats in UC available both there and back. In fact there are UC seats still available on my exact flights! Book now!
#54942 by buns
05 Mar 2005, 13:07
Nick

Thanks for all your hard work, count me in[y][y] This realy looks like this social will end up eclipsing all previos ones[8D][8D]

As far as Mrs Buns goes, due to some recent changes on the job front, she will have to be a "maybe" for the moment - but as soon as I book my flight I am sure she will be there;)

Onionz

well done, you sharp operator[8D] - doubt whether i will be able to stretch to UC though.

all the best

buns
#54947 by mitchja
05 Mar 2005, 14:13
Nick

Thanks for this [y]

I'm in!!!!

Onionz

If it makes you feel any better I've just done the same, oh and I hope you dont mind a travel companion - well you've got one anyway :D.
I'm now also 78K miles lighter and have also booked the following:

Regards
#54954 by onionz
05 Mar 2005, 16:00
quote:Originally posted by buns4vs

Onionz

well done, you sharp operator[8D] - doubt whether i will be able to stretch to UC though.

Cheers Buns! It made sense so I just went for it! I want to get in here quick and be the first to offer to take you in the clubhouse as a guest if you're not in UC [y]:).
#54955 by onionz
05 Mar 2005, 16:02
quote:Originally posted by mitchja

Onionz

If it makes you feel any better I've just done the same, oh and I hope you dont mind a travel companion - well you've got one anyway :D.
I'm now also 78K miles lighter and have also booked the following:

Excellent!

You might have noticed 6A has gone on the LAS flight. Sorry about that! :D[^]
#54957 by mitchja
05 Mar 2005, 16:37
No prob, that's me in 8A outbound - also in the 'V-Flyer reserved seat' 8A coming back :D ;). Nabbed that seat before anyone else does :D

Regards
#54960 by onionz
05 Mar 2005, 17:06
Yep thought that was you in 8A both ways!

Now moved inbound from 2K which it allocated me, to 9A sitting behind you. Thought that i'd prefer the nose to upstairs and, correct me if i'm wrong, but the left hand side seems like its shielded by the beauty station somewhat. Not sure, never been in UC on a LHR plane!

Noticed it blocked off 6A and K and 1A and K, whereas I was allocated 6A automatically on the LGW flight and 6K is available. Perhaps they don't reserve these for Golds on LGW flights? Or maybe these weren't blocked off but some other people have already booked these? :)
#54961 by mitchja
05 Mar 2005, 17:22
Rows 1, 6 and 15 always seem to be blocked on LHR 744's. They do open up though during OLCI. Not sure why this is.

Yes the left side is shielded from the IFBT area, although the VS seat maps are not to scale unlike Pete's V-Flyer seat maps as row 9 is just in front of the IFBT area.

Regards
#54981 by Danno
05 Mar 2005, 18:37
Well...

I aint sure why, but the wife has given me the thumbs up to go!!!

We are off to Vegas at the end of April for a week. If Mrs Danno likes it, she will join us for the v-flyer bash!

Being 200K flyer miles better off after my last *experience*, I will use the miles to pay for the flight to vegas.

I love San Fran, so I expect I will fly into and out of it.

Hotel rate sounds great! So, expect to see me there!

Dann:)
#54984 by Nottingham Nick
05 Mar 2005, 18:45
Many thanks to all of those who have committed themselves, it is great that it is actually coming together after all the debates behind the scenes.

Personally, I intend to combine the Vegas section with a bit of a road trip, as my brother has never 'done' the West Coast.

We will probably fly into LAX and then onto Vegas for the V-Flyer days before hiring a car for 3 or so days to drive back - the drop off charge is only $100, so we will be able to pull in a bit of the Californian 'culture' [8D] on the way home.

Will miss out on the SFO event, if we manage to sort one out, but it will be two less 'non-golds' to try and get into the Clubhouse.

I will sample the SFO Clubhouse in August, so plans may change ;)

Nick
#54994 by pegitt
05 Mar 2005, 19:42
I have just been looking at flights on Expieda.

LHR>MIA FLL>LAS LAS>SFO SFO>LHR with VS/HP in UC/1ST for £2646.60 inc tax.

I think that's a good price for that trip now where's my credit card dam i dont have[V]

Cheers

Phil
#54995 by Scrooge
05 Mar 2005, 19:51
Wow..so many commiting already..let's see..my itinery..get out of bed..shower,shave,get dressed,get in the car,drive for 30 mins..get drunk..call the wife..indure 30 min drive home in stone cold silence..get up..order flowers,hide till she goes to work..repeat next day...sound good?
#55028 by buns
06 Mar 2005, 13:16
jetwet1

quote:let's see..my itinery..get out of bed..shower,shave,get dressed,get in the car,drive for 30 mins

Dare I say ...FC miles for this trip[?][?];);)

Look forward to meeting you

Buns
#55035 by RichardMannion
06 Mar 2005, 15:56
Wow - check you people out booking your flights already!

A few things:

a) I see you're flying from LGW on the direct flight to LAS, not wanting to visit the brand new fully expaned CH in LHR? ;) No seriously, LGW is lovely CH, and Linda and her team will look after you well.

b) Pegitt - that is a good price! There is a DL flight operated by Song from MCO if people want to fly in on the cheap Z MCO fares (~£1200) and then fly across. And you earn TP's for the DL flight as its over 2000 miles. There is also the HP flights mentioned previously, small tip is that if you walk up to the coutner they will usually let you upgrade to 1st for $100.

c) Nick - who is quoting you for your car? I picked up a car in LAS in Sept last year from AVIS and there was no drop off fee, they also graciously took the double upgrade voucher I had been given by BMI as a GOld (sure someone will let you have one!)

d. To mcuth and the diet coke chucklemonkeys - [:p]

Thanks,
Richard
#55037 by mitchja
06 Mar 2005, 16:10
Regarding accom...I think I might have a few days at the other end of the strip (maybe a Penthouse Suite at the Bellagio - as that seems the thing to do at the moment :D) or maybe I'll try TheHotel at Mandalay Bay. I will probably then take up jetwet1's amazing room rate at the Stratosphere for a couple more days, that may include me also plucking up the courage to try the roller-coster at the top of the Stratosphere tower this time (I chickened out last time I was there [:I] and just settled for the amazing views from the tower)

Regards
Virgin Atlantic