A forum for discussion of Social Activities
#8982 by martinmoore50
18 Nov 2005, 11:28
I'm not sure if this is the right folder for this, but hey-ho.

Given that so many of you make trips to Vegas (including your Viva Las V-Flyer event), I was wondering how many of you play poker?

The reason I ask is that I'm trying to set up regular Hold 'em poker nights (we're not talking megabucks – maybe £5 buy-ins, and it's all about the beer and pretzels really!). I live in Great Dunmow (near Stansted Airport) and if anyone's interested, let me know!

On the same topic – did anyone clean-up on the V-Flyer trip, or are you all remortgaging to cover losses? [:p]
#84836 by preiffer
18 Nov 2005, 11:35
Originally posted by martinmoore50
I'm not sure if this is the right folder for this, but hey-ho.

Given that so many of you make trips to Vegas (including your Viva Las V-Flyer event), I was wondering how many of you play poker?

The reason I ask is that I'm trying to set up regular Hold 'em poker nights (we're not talking megabucks Ð maybe £5 buy-ins, and it's all about the beer and pretzels really!). I live in Great Dunmow (near Stansted Airport) and if anyone's interested, let me know!
Yup, I'm up for that. We use Ladbrokes at work. Their tournament tables are cheap/quick to set up, and the software's not bad either. (unfortunately, won't work on a mac though)

On the same topic Ð did anyone clean-up on the V-Flyer trip, or are you all remortgaging to cover losses? [:p]
Mostly loss covering, I believe. A few a little up, some a little down. I got free food transfered into free beer though [y]
#84837 by AlanA
18 Nov 2005, 11:38
Originally posted by preiffer
The reason I ask is that I'm trying to set up regular Hold 'em poker nights (we're not talking megabucks Ð maybe £5 buy-ins, and it's all about the beer and pretzels really!). I live in Great Dunmow (near Stansted Airport) and if anyone's interested, let me know!
Yup, I'm up for that. We use Ladbrokes at work. Their tournament tables are cheap/quick to set up, and the software's not bad either. (unfortunately, won't work on a mac though)

I am in an esoteric mode today (doing too many quotation anaylisis forms to be anything else)
funnily enough I live a mile from the village which that betting firm took its name; Ladbroke :D
#84838 by martinmoore50
18 Nov 2005, 11:49
We use pokerroom Ð it's not bad and you can set up private tournaments but it doesn't compare to the highs and lows of 'real' face-to-face poker, though.

On the topic of free beer: On my first trip to Vegas I took $100 to a blackjack table at the Hilton. I played for five hours, drank my body weight in free Heineken, met some great characters and walked away with my $100!

Similarly, on my last trip, I managed to make $20 last four and a half hours, while drinking free beer and JD & Cokes. Sadly I wasn't "up five hundy by midnight."
#84839 by martinmoore50
18 Nov 2005, 11:51
Hi Alan. I'm still in a pedantic 'red pen' mood today.

I'm afraid "anaylisis" just won't do. [V]
#84862 by AlanA
18 Nov 2005, 14:25
Hi Alan. I'm still in a pedantic 'red pen' mood today.

I'm afraid "anaylisis" just won't do. [V]

I am downloading CSi on the computer at the same time as posting and it seems to have an effect on the response from the keyboard, causing words to come out wrong! [:o)]
#85346 by Richard28
22 Nov 2005, 20:16
I'm up for that!

I'm in the Chelmsford area every now and then (thats where I grew up!) so count me in!

I use Ladbrokes on line , and have the name "OnTheRocks" in case anyone plays against me....

Rich.
#85359 by Scrooge
22 Nov 2005, 21:06
i'll let the wife know..
#85361 by Littlejohn
22 Nov 2005, 21:27
Is it possible to play for matchsticks?
#85383 by preiffer
23 Nov 2005, 00:06
Originally posted by jetwet1
i'll let the wife know..
Unfair. [n][B)];)
#85409 by martinmoore50
23 Nov 2005, 10:56
Well, provided all the wives say 'aye,' I'll try and set up a game as soon as possible.

I'm afraid the only matchsticks welcome at any of my poker games are gold-plated, diamond encrusted ones.

Presumably everyone's familiar with the ol' classic No Limit Texas Hold 'Em?
#85411 by mcuth
23 Nov 2005, 11:17
Sorry, late to the subject, but I wouldn't mind a nice friendly game - complete beginner at Hold 'Em, but love watching it!

Cheers

Michael
#85457 by Richard28
23 Nov 2005, 21:22
Presumably everyone's familiar with the ol' classic No Limit Texas Hold 'Em?

Yep, thats the best!

Played poker in Vegas for the first time this year, and came 11th out of 100 people in a tornament (at the MGM - very impressive poker zone), but prizes were only paid out from 6th place upwards [:(]

Be warned everybody - I want your matchsticks & fivers!
#85519 by martinmoore50
24 Nov 2005, 11:15
I tried a couple of tourneys in Vegas, at the Stratosphere ÐÊstruck out at about 30th... out of 80. [:$]

Still, online I've managed to place in the money a few times. Came 18th out of 1,000 a few weeks ago. Best placing to date was 12th out of 2,000 in a pokerroom tourney. [|:)]
#88266 by martinmoore50
20 Dec 2005, 11:03
Hey guys!

I had a word with the landlord of a pub called The Saracen's Head in my home town of Great Dunmow, and he's not averse to some poker being played in his establishment.

We're planning to have a 'tester' game on Thursday night (December 22). If all goes to plan, we'll be hosting games every other week (and we'll no doubt tweak the formula a bit).

Games will be (hopefully) open for new players in the New Year. Anyone up for it? We're talking NL Hold 'em, £5 or £10 buy-ins, blinds up every 10 minutes, top three players take the money.

Mart
#88309 by mcuth
20 Dec 2005, 23:15
In principle, am not disagreeable to the idea, but...
my home town of Great Dunmow

...errr, where the hell is that! ;)

Cheers

Michael
#88313 by HighFlyer
21 Dec 2005, 00:07
quote:my home town of Great Dunmow

...errr, where the hell is that!

I know Great Dunmow, its in good ole Essex!

You know, Essex, near Braaansatch an Saaafend!! :D
#88319 by mcuth
21 Dec 2005, 00:59
Originally posted by HighFlyer
I know Great Dunmow, its in good ole Essex!

You know, Essex, near Braaansatch an Saaafend!! :D

Ye Gods - well, count me outta that one then (thanks Sarah!) ;)

Cheers

Michael
#88337 by martinmoore50
21 Dec 2005, 11:52
Now now, it's a very nice part of Essex Ð a small, leafy town with a very small chav to worthwhile human being ratio. Liam Howlett from the Prodigy lives there, don't you know [:?] Mike Reid ("Pat! What have you done to me Pat!") lives down the road, too [oo]

Seriously, though, it's off the A120 (about three miles from the M11 roundabout off Bishop's Stortford. It's a long way from Braaansatch an Saaafend!

Mart
#88343 by HighFlyer
21 Dec 2005, 12:37
Only kidding Mart!!

Anyway, whats wrong with Saaafend?? :):)
#88351 by martinmoore50
21 Dec 2005, 13:50
Nothing wrong with Southend, I'm sure - never been there, though I'm certain it's a wonderful place, full of marvellous sights; a bustling hub of social activity and forward thinking. [|)]
#88353 by Littlejohn
21 Dec 2005, 13:56
Originally posted by mcuth

Ye Gods - well, count me outta that one then (thanks Sarah!) ;)

[:0]That's rich coming from a Swindonite!
#88410 by mcuth
21 Dec 2005, 21:13
Originally posted by sailor99
[:0]That's rich coming from a Swindonite!

I only live here, I don't come from Swindon [:p]
Besides, my comment wasn't actually about the place - more the distance to travel ;)

Cheers

Michael
Virgin Atlantic