A forum for discussion of Social Activities
#85501 by DavidM
24 Nov 2005, 06:34
Originally posted by jetwet1
To those members outside the states...ummm..happy thursday??? [:I]

Unquestionably one of my favorite days of the week, right up there with, err, Tuesday! :D

Have a great holiday!

Best wishes

David
#85504 by Littlejohn
24 Nov 2005, 07:13
Thanks for the happy Thursday. Very apt really as I don't like Mondays (showing my age there I think). Happy thanksgiving to you and your family. I wish you joys of the day.
#85506 by catsilversword
24 Nov 2005, 07:29
Indeedy. Happy Thanksgiving you all of you on t'other side of t'pond.

To those of us on this side - it's cold and dark and not even Friday.... best we raise a glass to virtually join the celebrations in the US!
#85508 by mcuth
24 Nov 2005, 07:58
Aye, happy Turkey Day to all our US bretheren. May your bellies be full of all the good Thanksgiving day foods (mmmm, candied yams *drool* ) and your bladders bursting from alcohol intake [y][y]

Oh, and happy shopping day for tomorrow too :D

Cheers

Michael
#85512 by HighFlyer
24 Nov 2005, 10:02
Happy Turkey Day :D:D:D
#85544 by RichardMannion
24 Nov 2005, 13:07
So is it turkey sandwiches tomorrow, and then turkey soup on Saturday?

Thanks,
Richard
#85555 by AlanA
24 Nov 2005, 13:39
Originally posted by RichardMannion

Thanks,
Richard

Hmmm, three day gobble fest? [:o)]
#85570 by Scrooge
24 Nov 2005, 14:37
Originally posted by RichardMannion

Thanks,
Richard

Heck no,we have this holiday down,we drive down to the OC,one of the inlaws cooks amassive amount of food,we eat,we leave and the spouse of the inlaw get's to eat turkey for the next month.
#85581 by ChuckC
24 Nov 2005, 15:09
Happy Thanksgiving to everyone, and may your year ahead be filled with friendship and peace.

A toast to VFlyer and its terrific members!

Best regards,
Chuck-
#85617 by Richard28
24 Nov 2005, 21:19
Originally posted by ChuckC
Happy Thanksgiving to everyone, and may your year ahead be filled with friendship and peace.

Best regards,
Chuck-

Cheers :)

Happy thanks giving American Friends!
#85661 by roadrunner
25 Nov 2005, 16:49
Poor Turkeys. I feel really sorry for them.

No worries here 99--Tofurkey for us this year by offspring's orders. No birds were harmed in the making of this dinner... although rifle shots rang out loudly in the blizzardy Thursday dawn as our host's camouflage- dressed country neighbors shot (sitting)lake feeding ducks for their Tgiving tables.

Enjoy the long weekend!

RR
#85668 by ChuckC
25 Nov 2005, 17:31
i]Originally posted by roadrunner
...although rifle shots rang out loudly in the blizzardy Thursday dawn as our host's camouflage- dressed country neighbors shot (sitting)lake feeding ducks for their Tgiving tables.

A bit of Currier & Ives this weekend for you, eh? Where in heaven's name are you?

Chuck-
#85699 by buns
25 Nov 2005, 22:47
Chuck

Thank you for such kind words - its a pity the UK has not taken up the spirit of Thanksgiving rather than the "Trick or Treat" habit which has turned the night into one of the most anti social events of the year[:(!][:(!]

originally posted by Richard Mannion

Correct me if I am wrong, but is not the case that post Thanksgiving, the primary activity is shopping[:w][ii][:?]
#85708 by ChuckC
26 Nov 2005, 01:13
Right you are, Buns. Shopping is the name of the game. In the US today is known as "Black Friday" on account of the crowds that go in the stores as early as midnight just to find bargains. I am in Palm Springs this weekend and one of the largest discount malls on the West Coast is about 25 minutes from here, in Cabazon, right off the Interstate 10. You'd have to be a fool to go anywhere near that spot today.

Chuck-
#85712 by roadrunner
26 Nov 2005, 04:51
We are far from black friday malls--visiting in upstate new york which features caribou heads framing local pub walls. No one ventures out for a walk unless s/he is dressed in orange. Thanksgiving here is liberally interpreted as a national holiday to shoot things despite heavy snowfall (a foot last night).

Working hard to ensure that is not me nor mine.

cheers,
rr
#85721 by Littlejohn
26 Nov 2005, 11:09
Originally posted by buns4vs
its a pity the UK has not taken up the spirit of Thanksgiving rather than the "Trick or Treat" habit which has turned the night into one of the most anti social events of the year

[y][y][y] Well said buns. To my horror the rear admiral layed out a trick or treat table full of goodies and games this year. I couldn't see the point, until I realised the game was bobbing for cooking apples from the garden. One by one she forced the kids (You don't argue with the RA)to bob into this green liquid, only to get a bitter bite of bramley. She still won't tell me what was in the green gunge, but I have a feeling we won't be bothered next year. Not sure how popular we are with the village parents.

Glad to see you didn't end up stuffed on a plate Roadrunner, beep beep!
#85788 by buns
27 Nov 2005, 01:53
Chuck
one of the largest discount malls on the West Coast is about 25 minutes from here, in Cabazon, right off the Interstate 10

You have now set off Mrs Buns - she want's to go back there[}:)][}:)] I see another LAX trip in the offing so that we can re-visit Palm Spings[y][y]

Sailor 99

but I have a feeling we won't be bothered next year.

Nice one[y][y] If only i could get the not so young ones to be more considerate
#85818 by ChuckC
27 Nov 2005, 19:57
Buns,
Come to Palm Springs during the winter or spring when the weather isn't so hot. Would be great to see you. I bet that Jetwet1 and Jenn would hook up with us for dinner.

Chuck-
#85819 by Scrooge
27 Nov 2005, 20:01
if the dates are right we will be there..btw,love So Cal traffic,50 mph on the 15 this week..[y][y][y] for Toyota Echo drivers [}:)]
Virgin Atlantic