A forum for discussion of Social Activities
#128442 by buns
19 Jul 2006, 21:25
Originally posted by FamilyMan
Originally posted by buns4vs
A word of warning to those who might be thinking of using the railway - there is a planned strike ...

Strike has been called off so normal service is resumed. Sorry Ben.

Phil FM

FM

Many thanks for putting minds at rest - if only I could access the site from work[}:)][}:)]

buns
#128633 by FamilyMan
20 Jul 2006, 18:20
Just watched the A380 flying over Farnborough Town Centre in formation with the Red Arrows.

Pretty Impressive.

Phil FM

P.S. Just found a photo here. Boy that was quick.
#128638 by pegitt
20 Jul 2006, 18:50
Just watched the A380 flying over Farnborough Town Centre in formation with the Red Arrows.

Pretty Impressive.

Phil FM

P.S. Just found a photo here. Boy that was quick.

Hang on what about the huge wake vortex the A380 is ment to kick out[:w]
#128639 by Kerry
20 Jul 2006, 19:33

Pretty Impressive.

I watched it too - managed to sneak out to the work carpark - and it was very impressive. Surprisingly quiet and its size is well hidden by an almost optical illusion of length Vs width. The lone red arrow flying behind it as it turned really gave the true perspective of size - amazing! [8D][y]

Kerry
#128791 by MarkJ
22 Jul 2006, 16:34
I do hope you are all having better weather than we are having up here in the Midlands - its thunder, lightning and absolutely throwing it down!!![:#]
#128822 by buns
22 Jul 2006, 20:56
Originally posted by MarkJ
I do hope you are all having better weather than we are having up here in the Midlands - its thunder, lightning and absolutely throwing it down!!![:#]

Mark

Quite the contrary, Similar weather forced an early retirement of the gallant V-flyers as we all got soaked through the skin[:#][:#]

Michael

Despite the weather (and the traffic jams[:(!]), it was a cracking day out - thanks for organising the tickets and everything[^][^][^]

It was great to meet up again and thanks to everyone for making it such a great laugh:D:D:D
(who said go on Sunday[:w][:w][:w])

buns
#128900 by mcuth
23 Jul 2006, 15:49
Andy - more than welcome mate - it was great to see everyone that managed to make it to the meeting point (even if it was a tad obscure!). What a shame that the weather forced us to beat a retreat to the exhibition halls and then abandon the day, but at least we got to see the Red Arrows & the A380 in the air...

Next weekend, I might remember to bring my mobile phone charger too [:I]

Cheers

Michael
#128902 by JAT74L
23 Jul 2006, 16:03
I'm glad I HAD to go on Friday! Ended up with a sunburned neck but managed to sooth it with a few beers back at LHR!

See you on Sat!

John
#128933 by DavidM
23 Jul 2006, 20:35
Originally posted by buns4vs
...who said go on Sunday[:w][:w][:w])

buns

You probably don't want to know this, but I've just got back from the show today - and the weather was kind to us. [B)]

It was a great day out - roll on 2008!

Best wishes

David
#128936 by sahajesh
23 Jul 2006, 21:14
Michael,

Sorry for not meeting up, I got to the show around 12:20 and didn't see anyone in the milling crowd that I might recognise (yourself, really!).

I realised afterwards that I should have asked for someone's mobile number - doh! [:#]

I had a great time anyway (even though I left my camera behind [V]) - when it started to pour I managed to find myself in the Irkut chalet and watched the rest of the show (till the Typhoon) from there.

Before and after the rain, I was pretty much stood by the runway (near the yellow Sea King) so had a good view of it all from there.

One question - were Airbus doing tours of the A380 as I saw some groups getting onto the plane but the chalet near the plane had a sign advising that no visits were available. I'll kick myself if I missed out on that one!!!!

In the end, I had to leave around half 4 as I was meeting a friend in Covent garden that evening so didn't even make the exhibitions this time. Poor show on my behalf.

Sahajesh.
#128943 by sunny
23 Jul 2006, 22:13
I was also there today. It was my first time to an air show and I thought it was fantastic. I didn't realise how manoeuvrable the A340 and A380 were.
I managed to get a couple of good shots Ð IÕll try and upload them soon.

Shame about the traffic - it took me 2 hours to go 30 miles!
#128950 by milehigh
24 Jul 2006, 00:20
It Sounds that you all had a good time , I was fortunate enough to find a secret viewing location
(joys of being a local) so had a afternoon there on Friday... I almost came and met up with you all on Saturday as I wanted to browse the halls but with the weather I decided to go to the Motorshow this week insted... Maybe in two years time?? I hear the show has been secured until 2016 !! should be able to see the Dreamliner from Boeing !!
#128953 by mcmbenjamin
24 Jul 2006, 01:12
Originally posted by milehigh
I hear the show has been secured until 2016 !! should be able to see the Dreamliner from Boeing !!

And the A350 [y]
#128967 by FamilyMan
24 Jul 2006, 09:13
Add my apologies for not being able to make the meet.

Left home at 10:30 but couldn't do the 3 miles from house to show in time. Ended up getting to the ground at 12:15 and despite wandering over towards (what I think was) the meeting point couldn't see any mob that looked likely. By then the Arrows were flying and most faces were pointing skywards.

Enjoyed the show but annoyingly the rain ruined my schedule and I never did get into the halls. Think the highlights for me was the Mig and the Lancaster.

Thanks again for organising Michael and hopefully I'll get a chance to meet up on annother social gathering.

Phil FM

P.S. I agree that exchanging mobile numbers would have a been a good idea - hindsight hey. :)
#128989 by Jonathan
24 Jul 2006, 13:11
Family Man,
I missed the group too - so you weren't alone

I actually went back on sunday as the weather was much better!
#130809 by mysteryflyer
04 Aug 2006, 13:13
I missed you - couldnt find the group. Saw the 380 before we got soaked and headed for the halls
Virgin Atlantic