#755977 by Vegascrazy
25 Sep 2010, 11:37
Just realised that through by BMI Mastercard (which I use in places that don't accept AMEX) I've accrued enough BMI miles for a return flight in Upper on VS (90K east coast, 100K west coast). Does anyone know what fare buckets are used, is it the same as when using VS miles, eg. G for UC?

Also thinking about treating family to flights, albeit in Economy but wondering if VS miles can then be applied to upgrade further....I guess not? ?|

Cheers
James
#756013 by Danny358
26 Sep 2010, 06:32
Hi James,

I have used my BMI miles for two return upper seats to vegas in December, it cost me 200,000 miles plus taxes ( £780.00 )

We have been allocated a G fare code, i'm not sure about upgrading though i think you can only do that with flying club miles, but i may be wrong.

Danny
#756018 by Vegascrazy
26 Sep 2010, 09:50
Thanks for that Danny. Since posting I've done a fair bit of research and it seems that these days folk are pretty successful in redeeming their diamond club miles on all the Star Alliance airlines as well as 'partner' airlines like Virgin.

Given that you've confirmed you're in G then I think it goes without saying that if I were to use my BMI miles to book VS Economy or PE then I'd be allocated T or U fare codes respectively.

My understanding is that T's and U's are both miles upgradeable providing there is reward availability in the target class. So, given that standard VS fare reward buckets are used I am pretty certain that VS miles could be used, even if the base ticket stems from BMI miles. If anyone out there knows please chip in?

Thanks
James
#756019 by Neil
26 Sep 2010, 10:01
I'm not sure if that is the case James. You will make your booking with BMI so anything you do with regards to the flight should be done through BMI, which is where you will have the problem using your VS miles I imagine.

I could be wrong but from all the things I have read on various boards over the years, I can't remember ever seeing anyone being able to use miles from two different FF schemes on one booking.

Neil
#756021 by Vegascrazy
26 Sep 2010, 11:15
Ah ok thanks Neil. I guess I was thinking (overly hopefully!)that, as the identical VS reward buckets are being used by BMI, I stood a chance! I guess though the 'on the day' upgrade possibility is still there though, ie.regardless of how/through who the ticket was sourced, a miles or cash upgrade is a possibility, albeit remote.

Cheers
James
#756493 by RichardMannion
02 Oct 2010, 21:57
Hi James,

I used some BMI miles in March for a UC trip to SFO - it was indeed booked in G but the booking will be locked as a partner/agent booking and VS can't do much with it as such. You could try on the day at the airport to see if they will let you upgrade if you were to book a T or U - but there is no guarantee of course.

Thanks,
Richard
Virgin Atlantic