A forum for discussion of Social Activities
#750473 by Tinkerbelle
21 Jul 2010, 23:10
Following on from the last two highly successful cultural days out to Paris and Brussels in 2009 and 2010, are there any plans afoot for the next educational day trip?

I think a day trip to Paris again would be great - a decent length train journey for aperitifs and lots to see when you get there!
#750474 by honey lamb
21 Jul 2010, 23:14
I wouldn't mind Paris as missed the last one and there is enough new blood on the board to make it different to 2009
#750730 by honey lamb
25 Jul 2010, 23:31
I know! I can't remember it being an hour! :o)
#754743 by preiffer
07 Sep 2010, 07:02
I thought it was valid for a year from the date of journey?

So... If something were booked for a date prior to last year's in January, it COULD be free.... [:w]
#755450 by Sealink
16 Sep 2010, 01:24
LA might be a bit of a stretch for delicate, post Christmas wallets... ;)

Here's a mad suggestion: Inverness. (Although I would love to see Paris again, or Brussels.)
#755455 by Vegascrazy
16 Sep 2010, 07:53
Not a mad suggestion Billy, potentially a great one (as we chatted about recently!) :-)

How many folk would potentially be up for a leisurely train ride (in 1st Class if price right!) up to Inverness? From what I can see East Coast's offering is very good. From a group social aspect that gives us loads of time to mingle and chat, and eat & drink of course! Then overnight it in Inverness & back to LHR or LGW (or other regional airports) on the Sun (flights around £35)?

East Coast do a Group Travel Service

• 10 or more people
• Best Fares guarantee – we’ll price match our web fares,
• Seat reservations can be made so you can sit together where possible
• All Railcards are valid against the relevant fares
• Save on onboard food with discounts on breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks or refreshments. Save 10% when travelling First Class and get a 20% discount with Catering Vouchers.

Happy to go with the flow....this is purely an idea :-)

Cheers
James
#755484 by Vegascrazy
16 Sep 2010, 16:29
Just took a look on East Coast's website. They're not selling for January but to get an idea I plugged in 4th/5th Dec. It offers up Advance Purchase 1st Class for £49.40 going up and £71.20 coming back. Timings are quite good: Dep Kings Cross 12:00 arr Inverness 20:08. Dep Inverness 09:40 arr Kings Cross 18.17.

1st Class 'At Seat Dining' is available on the outbound between Kings Cross & Berwick-Upon-Tweed (so essentially from 12 noon until 15:45) and on the return between Newcastle (14:59) and Peterborough (17.18).
#755485 by Guest
16 Sep 2010, 16:45
Vegascrazy wrote:Not a mad suggestion Billy, potentially a great one (as we chatted about recently!) :-)

How many folk would potentially be up for a leisurely train ride (in 1st Class if price right!) up to Inverness? From what I can see East Coast's offering is very good. From a group social aspect that gives us loads of time to mingle and chat, and eat & drink of course! Then overnight it in Inverness & back to LHR or LGW (or other regional airports) on the Sun (flights around £35)?

East Coast do a Group Travel Service

• 10 or more people
• Best Fares guarantee – we’ll price match our web fares,
• Seat reservations can be made so you can sit together where possible
• All Railcards are valid against the relevant fares
• Save on onboard food with discounts on breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks or refreshments. Save 10% when travelling First Class and get a 20% discount with Catering Vouchers.

Happy to go with the flow....this is purely an idea :-)

Cheers
James

Now that sounds like a jolly fine idea y) ii)

Either 1st Class there and back or private jet one way and 1st Class rail t'other ?|

Spending the night in a decent hotel up there also gets my vote over a day trip to the continent
#755486 by eejp1007
16 Sep 2010, 16:50
Or another option for the return for the real geeks would be INV - BHD - LGW on Flybe.
Their direct Inverness - Gatwick flights seem to be around £44 or the Belfast one stop would be £50! You would even get to sample two aircraft types, DH4 and E95! (Just me then?)
#755487 by Tinkerbelle
16 Sep 2010, 16:52
I personally wouldn't be interested in any trip involving a night away - it causes too much difficulty with days off from work. A day trip just like the last two wins for me.
#755489 by Sealink
16 Sep 2010, 16:59
While I love the idea of Inverness too - it would be a different kettle of fish from the previous PCPs so maybe that could be a "V-Flyer: Welcome to Spring" trip - certainly am up for INV-BHD-LGW!! but not at the expense of the magic of the E* trips we've enjoyed.
#755519 by Vegascrazy
17 Sep 2010, 07:15
I'm happy just to go with the flow :-) I think it goes without saying that if we have a sizeable discount voucher from last year's Eurostar trip then we should probably make use of that. As Billy says, perhaps do the Inverness thing as a spring or even summer social.
#755520 by honey lamb
17 Sep 2010, 07:21
All that goes through my mind at the suggestion of Inverness in winter is that it's going to be ****** freezing, plus the possibility of being snowbound. I'd be more interested in a spring/summer jaunt there
#755526 by eejp1007
17 Sep 2010, 10:03
I think it would be beautiful!
And it's not as if our transport infrastructure falls apart at the slightest inclement weather.
The other advantage is that you won't see a lot more of people that you wish which is what I recently experienced on a work trip!
#756831 by Sealink
04 Oct 2010, 22:11
I take on board the concerns about heading North in the dead of winter!
Inverness in the Springtime might be nice.

But for PCP2011... Paris? Brussels? Bruges? Amsterdam?
Virgin Atlantic