#796759 by Tinkerbelle
02 Dec 2011, 18:18
Universal have just announced on Facebook that the Jaws ride and the entire Amity area will close on 2 January. I'm feeling quite sad about this especially as I have some very happy memories from there, especially during Halloween Horror Nights XX - those poor other people on the boat along with a load of loud and merry V-Flyers! :D

So if you had a choice, what would you like to see replace Jaws and Amity? :?
#796766 by Tinkerbelle
02 Dec 2011, 18:39
Cal346 wrote:There are rumours they will build a Hogworts express to link to WWoHP! I really hope not!

Please god no. Potter has already ruined IoA - it will ruin the Studios too. It's a shame as since Potterworld opened, everything else in IoA has gone downhill - they only seem to want to spend the money on one section of the park and I'd hate to see the Studios go down the same path.

I'd love to see the new Space Fantasy ride from Universal Studios Japan come over - it remains as one of the best themed and cleverest rides I've ever been on. The ending of the ride was jaw dropping. :D
#796793 by tontybear
03 Dec 2011, 01:34
Tinkerbelle wrote:So if you had a choice, what would you like to see replace Jaws and Amity? :?

You answered your own question Tinks. What else but

Tinkerbelle wrote: a load of loud and merry V-Flyers! :D

Surely that would scare the bejezus of most right thinking people?
#796798 by buns
03 Dec 2011, 07:14
Tinks

Would agree that it will be a shame that the Jaws ride will close :#

But your post got me thinking - I remember going to see the film at the cinema in December 1974 :0 So I suppose the film may have lost a bit of relevance to today's young people (a bit like "Back to the Future")

Shame all the same

buns
#796803 by Concorde RIP
03 Dec 2011, 12:20
Bit of a shame, but I guess most of it's appeal now is sentimental rather than anything else, and it was getting a bit tatty around there.

Glad the family and I went to Amety a couple of times during our last trip in November...

I also agree that doing anything to do with Potter would be a mistake.

I like your suggestion, although I've never been on that ride (or even been to Japan!), it looks very good.

Maybe, though, something to do with the Ice Age films? (They were Universal weren't they?)
#796810 by Alex V
03 Dec 2011, 13:08
I too am also sad to see Amity go just love the atmosphere there, I used to also love King Kong and although they replaced it with the mummy which is awesome I still miss it.

If they were going to change anything IMO they should change T2 and Twister I think these shows have had their day and would have been easier to update than rip apart a huge area that is Amity.

IOA

After no less than 3 visit to potterworld I eventually got to ride the main ride, all the other visits resulted in just walking thru the area as the Qs were horrendous. I can honestly say the ride is amazing and quite nothing i have been on before.
But it would be nice to see the areas like Jurrasic park get a make over as this is a big area with not much in it.

cheers

alex
#797137 by CHill710
06 Dec 2011, 20:23
according to Orlando Attractions Magazine on Facebook Universal have confirmed that Potter Land will be expanding.

link to Atteactions Magazine on Facebook here
#797140 by Tinkerbelle
06 Dec 2011, 20:59
It's been known for quite a while that it would be expanding - more than likely taking out the rest of the Lost Continent area at IoA which sadly looks out of place since Potterland opened. They haven't announced anymore details yet regarding the Orlando expansion. Time will tell.
#797156 by Tinkerbelle
06 Dec 2011, 23:06
Cal346 wrote:They should just build a WWoHP as a seperate park elsewhere!

Don't get me wrong, I like the Potterland but it's fine as a small area with other bits to see. I don't like the idea of expansion and loss of other areas of the park :(

Very true - that way it could be avoided like the plague. I love Universal Studios but I fear that the entire parks are being taken over by Potter at the expense of everything else - and that is sad for those of us that have zero interest in anything Potter related.
#797203 by Concorde RIP
07 Dec 2011, 19:25
Of course it's about the money - that's why there was one half decent attraction buit, with another re-using the former dualling dragons ride. The rest is just merchandise - and bloody expensive merchandise for that matter.

I was totally underwhelmed by HP land...

Agree with Tinks, it's a shame that it is a budgetary drain on the rest of the park.
#800162 by welsheagle
17 Jan 2012, 18:13
Having done the rides myself in November, it does not surprise me that the Jaws ride is being replaced.

I thought it was decidedly tatty and the final model was so 'plastic' everyone was laughing at it.
#800177 by Neil
17 Jan 2012, 20:33
Cal346 wrote:Jaws was a classic ride, very disappointed!

Apparently there is an announcement due next Wednesday!

Universal have already said that next weeks announcement won't reveal the plans for the Jaws/Amity area.
#800423 by rich1664
19 Jan 2012, 23:34
Cal346 wrote:

Of which the company I work for are going to be part of - it's for all the new stuff in the park in 2012. It's going to be webcast too - I get to Orlando on Saturday - will try and find out the link for the webcast & post it here in case anyone is interested.
#800438 by Petmadness
20 Jan 2012, 08:47
rich1664 wrote:
Cal346 wrote:

Of which the company I work for are going to be part of - it's for all the new stuff in the park in 2012. It's going to be webcast too - I get to Orlando on Saturday - will try and find out the link for the webcast & post it here in case anyone is interested.

That would be great Rich if you could post the link y)

Thanks
Mark
Virgin Atlantic