Don your anorak and get technical about airplanes.
#867484 by Bretty
28 Feb 2014, 13:26
I watched a very interesting documentary on BBC2 last night about the development of the Boeing 747 instigated by PanAm. Boeing agreed to design this new plane and deliver 25 of them in 28 months! On top of that, the bigwigs at Boeing diverted funds away from the project because they were trying to develop a supersonic aircraft to compete with Concorde.

Really interesting documentary on the design, the barriers they had, along with some of the original PanAm CC who flew the very first 747.

Did anyone else catch the programme? Top show y) y)

Bretty
#867485 by 747heaven
28 Feb 2014, 13:33
Bretty wrote:I watched a very interesting documentary on BBC2 last night about the development of the Boeing 747 instigated by PanAm. Boeing agreed to design this new plane and deliver 25 of them in 28 months! On top of that, the bigwigs at Boeing diverted funds away from the project because they were trying to develop a supersonic aircraft to compete with Concorde.

Really interesting documentary on the design, the barriers they had, along with some of the original PanAm CC who flew the very first 747.

Did anyone else catch the programme? Top show y) y)

Bretty

I caught the last 5 minutes, but gutted I missed it as you can see from my user name I love that plane.
#867488 by hazban
28 Feb 2014, 13:42
Managed to catch the programme and found it very interesting.
Some years ago I dragged Mrs Hazban, kicking and screaming , on a tour of the Boeing Plant. It was fascinating, the scale of everything was mind blowing.
If they still arrange tours I would strongly recommend one if you find yourself in Seattle on the new Delta service. y)
#867491 by buns
28 Feb 2014, 13:52
Have watched it twice already :D

It is true what they said about the aircraft being the catalyst for mass travel and I for one will still remember my first 747 flight with Pan Am back in 1979 on the SP variant as the original could not do London - Los Angeles in one hop.

I will miss them when they go as they hold so many memories.

buns
#867494 by slinky09
28 Feb 2014, 14:49
747heaven wrote:Are the SP's still around ? I remmeber SAA havng them but I think they got rid of them

There are some, Iran Air has a few and I recall seeing one at LAS.

The Grauniad managed to put a picture of an A380 by the programme item, the putzes!
#867507 by honey lamb
28 Feb 2014, 20:09
I forgot to record it but hopefully it will be repeated again :(

I can remember when it started flying in and out of LHR. Cars would pull over and stop to watch it landing - it was such a majestic sight.

hazban wrote:Managed to catch the programme and found it very interesting.

Some years ago I dragged Mrs Hazban, kicking and screaming , on a tour of the Boeing Plant. It was fascinating, the scale of everything was mind blowing.

If they still arrange tours I would strongly recommend one if you find yourself in Seattle on the new Delta service. y)

They still do tours and yes, it was fascinating. It's also fascinating to be in the Seattle area and watch test flights of the various aircraft.
#867728 by oldboy
03 Mar 2014, 21:32
I thoroughly enjoyed the programme, I love flying on any aircraft but there is always something extra special about seeing a 747 at the gate when boarding.

oldboy
#867732 by pjh
03 Mar 2014, 22:42
oldboy wrote:I thoroughly enjoyed the programme

So did I. I particularly liked to story of taking the Pratt and Whitney chairman on a flight... :D
#867741 by claireywalsh
03 Mar 2014, 23:05
My husband started watching and I was also hooked within 5 minutes. Really interesting to see the initial challenges. Can't believe he was willing to blow a 3rd engine to demonstrate his point to the chairman. He was obviously very confident in the abilities of his plane!
#867745 by Bretty
04 Mar 2014, 00:56
Well I'm scratching my head here, I didn't think my post had loaded. Just as I hit the submit button the bleedin' train went into a tunnel and my signal dropped :(! and after that I couldn't really get it back sufficiently to surf the site anymore!! (I was crossing the Pennines en-route to Manchester / Michael Bublé gig).

Anyway, I've never yet had the pleasure of flying on a 747 so I do hope I will one day. They look awesome certainly, and very spacious, "compact and bijou".
#867762 by pjh
04 Mar 2014, 09:15
Bretty wrote:Anyway, I've never yet had the pleasure of flying on a 747 so I do hope I will one day.

Cue HM Bateman style "The Man Who..." reaction. :0 :0 :0 :0

Oh you must. Make it happen. That's a direct order.
#867809 by Bretty
04 Mar 2014, 18:38
pjh wrote:
Bretty wrote:Anyway, I've never yet had the pleasure of flying on a 747 so I do hope I will one day.

Cue HM Bateman style "The Man Who..." reaction. :0 :0 :0 :0

Oh you must. Make it happen. That's a direct order.

Lol, yes sir, right away sir! :D
#867811 by Mac
04 Mar 2014, 19:54
just watched on iplayer, really interesting. Not heard about the 747-8 designed to replace the current models. Shame it has been sidelined in favour of the two engine 787. Suppose with the cost of aviation fuel two engines was always going to be more appealing to the bean counters. Look forward to fares coming down as the dream liner is introduced (not holding my breath 8D
#867820 by lucavigg
04 Mar 2014, 21:31
We flew PanAm 747 when we moved to California back in the early 80's. I remember the top deck being just a lounge with sofas around the side walls and a bar and a few tables and chairs. Lots of people smoking as well.

It's all very vague being more than 30 years ago. Happy days.
#867860 by howersl
05 Mar 2014, 21:28
For anyone who is interested in the development of the 747, this book is the ultimate read...

http://www.amazon.com/747-Creating-Worlds-Adventures-Aviation/dp/0060882425

It covers the initial development, engineering challenhes, the PanAm story, test flights, why the wings have a twist in them (aka the "Sutter twist") and all of the 747 variants. It's a great read if you are a 747 fan.
#867863 by pjh
05 Mar 2014, 22:02
howersl wrote:For anyone who is interested in the development of the 747, this book is the ultimate read...

http://www.amazon.com/747-Creating-Worlds-Adventures-Aviation/dp/0060882425

It covers the initial development, engineering challenhes, the PanAm story, test flights, why the wings have a twist in them (aka the "Sutter twist") and all of the 747 variants. It's a great read if you are a 747 fan.

Thanks for that. Sutter featured heavily in the documentary.
#867887 by Mark64
06 Mar 2014, 08:49
Great documentary about a GREAT aircraft.

Always loved 747's. First flew on one to Las Vegas with VA. Sat upstairs in the bubble and was like a big kid all the way. I've flown on a few since then, all VA of course :) and they still hold that magic.
#867909 by gfonk
06 Mar 2014, 19:19
Bretty wrote:Well I'm scratching my head here, I didn't think my post had loaded. Just as I hit the submit button the bleedin' train went into a tunnel and my signal dropped :(! and after that I couldn't really get it back sufficiently to surf the site anymore!! (I was crossing the Pennines en-route to Manchester / Michael Bublé gig).

Anyway, I've never yet had the pleasure of flying on a 747 so I do hope I will one day. They look awesome certainly, and very spacious, "compact and bijou".

Michael Buble gig niiiice
I too stumbled across this on iPlayer
Found it really cool actually and amazed at how Boeing built that massive factory and staked a lot on the whole thing but at the same time almost sabotaging themselves with the supersonic project.
I wonder if we will ever see supersonic travel on our lifetime since they grounded the concord
Bretty you gotta get on a 747 lol
Virgin Atlantic