This area is set aside for off-topic discussion. Everything that's absolutely nothing to do with travel at all... But please, keep it polite! Forum netiquette rules still apply.
#898971 by lizziesaurus
20 Mar 2015, 12:24
Hello all

I thought this might be a good place to start asking as I know alot of you have been in and out of the states over the years!

Me and the OH are doing a road trip, we're actually starting out in NY and also seeing Philly before DC. My question is though for the drives between DC and Niagara Falls and then between there and Boston - they're long drives that I've planned to set a day aside for each but is there anything worth seeing along the way?

I don't mind if it's a nice road to drive down or somewhere small and quaint to stop off for lunch etc just maybe something to break the journey up a little bit.

I admit it's abit of a back and forth road trip but I've never been to America before so I wanted to get as much in as I could!

Thanks in advance if anyone can offer any such tips y)
#898975 by snowyboy
20 Mar 2015, 12:43
We are doing trip in July starting in Boston we are away for 16 Days with no more than 250 miles to cover in a day have done many fly drives in USA love it. Our route takes us to
Day 1. Boston to Sturbridge.
Day 2. Sturbridge to Rome.
Day 3. Rome to Williamsville.
Day 4. Williamsville to Niagra Falls and on to Oakville.
Day 5. In Oakville visit Toronto.
Day 6. Oakville to Sudbury ON
Day 7. Sudbury to St Ignace
Day 8 St Ignace to Green Bay
Day 9 Green Bay to Roselle for Chicago
Day 10 Chicago
Day 11 Roselle to Elkhart
Day 12 Elkhart to Middleburg Heights
Day 13 Middleburg to State Collage
Day 14 State Collage to Walden
Day 15 Walden to Boston
Day 16 Boston and home.
Most of this trip is in nice countryside do try and get to Sturbridge and visit the Village look it up. If I can be of any help just post.
You could do this trip in reverse i.e New York to Walden then on.
#898980 by zenithar
20 Mar 2015, 14:19
Upstate New York (i.e. above New York City) has some beautiful mountains, and country. The Adirondack Mountains would be on your way between Niagara Falls and Boston, and are definitely worth going to (White Face Mountain, etc). Lake George is also beautiful (if you're going during the spring/summer) - you can take a steam paddle boat onto the Lake for an hour or so tour. Definitely worth it.

Saratoga Springs has famous horse racing in the late summer, and is a very nice small city.

If you're into museums, the State Museum in Albany NY is free, and is excellent for regional history. There's also a very good 9/11 Exhibit, including Fire trucks that were destroyed, etc.

But again, it all depends on what you like doing. Give a bit more information on dates/interest, and I can definitely provide suggestions. I'm from NY, and can provide "expert" advice :-)
#898989 by Eggtastico
20 Mar 2015, 16:29
Im doing the reverse trip....
No stopovers. I did consider Amish Country, but wanted an extra night in New York. Not been to NY before, so wanted as much time as possible there (not been to any of the places mentioned TBH!)
AM PM
Travel to London Arrive In Boston
Boston Boston
Boston Boston
Plymouth Rock Niagara Falls
Niagara Falls Niagara Falls
Drive to DC Washington DC
Washington DC Washington DC
Washington DC Washington DC
Train to Philly Phillidelphia
Phillidelphia Phillidelphia
Train to New York New York
New York New York
New York New York
New York New York
New York New York
New York Fly Home
#898990 by snowyboy
20 Mar 2015, 16:34
zenithar wrote:Upstate New York (i.e. above New York City) has some beautiful mountains, and country. The Adirondack Mountains would be on your way between Niagara Falls and Boston, and are definitely worth going to (White Face Mountain, etc). Lake George is also beautiful (if you're going during the spring/summer) - you can take a steam paddle boat onto the Lake for an hour or so tour. Definitely worth it.

Saratoga Springs has famous horse racing in the late summer, and is a very nice small city.

If you're into museums, the State Museum in Albany NY is free, and is excellent for regional history. There's also a very good 9/11 Exhibit, including Fire trucks that were destroyed, etc.

But again, it all depends on what you like doing. Give a bit more information on dates/interest, and I can definitely provide suggestions. I'm from NY, and can provide "expert" advice :-)

One thing I am having problem with is getting info on paying on toll roads where they have no cash tolls hiring from Dollar they want 10.99$ day for hire transponder will not use toll road enough to warrant this can you advise please.
#898992 by Eggtastico
20 Mar 2015, 16:46
snowyboy wrote:
One thing I am having problem with is getting info on paying on toll roads where they have no cash tolls hiring from Dollar they want 10.99$ day for hire transponder will not use toll road enough to warrant this can you advise please.

I would like to know the same. from googling, it seems it will cost about $15-20.
I try accessing the toll websites, but I have no idea where to start (or to finish!)
#898998 by zenithar
20 Mar 2015, 17:32
You can buy an EZ-Pass On The Go tag at tons of places, which will save you a lot of time at tolls. You can use it all up/down the East Coast, so it's definitely worth getting if you're doing a lot of driving:
https://www.e-zpassny.com/en/onthego/onthego.shtml

Just to add a bit more detail - EZ-Pass is the transponder system we use along the East Coast of the USA for toll roads. It's used in these states:
https://www.e-zpassny.com/en/about/facilities.shtml

In general, if there are 5 toll lanes, 1 or 2 will be set aside for EZPass. There is no toll worker in those lanes, so you just drive through, between 5MPH, and 65MPH (depending on if it's a "new" fast lane, or older slow lane).

You can, however, use EZPass in any lane (even those where they're manned). As you pull up, you can just tell them to "use the EZPass", and they'll push a button to read the transponder. Or you can just point to it frantically (which is what I do).

In busier areas around NYC, you can easily save 5 - 10 minutes per toll with an EZPass. Time is valuable. Get one.
#899023 by lizziesaurus
20 Mar 2015, 22:43
Some fab ideas thank you!

We fly on the 2nd of April and are there for 2 weeks

We're also spending the most time in New York, I've wanted to go forever to do some photography. I'm also having a flying lesson there! Birthday present bought for me as Id been saying Id love to do it again - this will bring my flying hours to a grand total of about 2!

One thing I really want to find in ny is an awesome bagel, I love a good bagle and I need something authentic as I don't like (and can't really eat) cheesecake, blasphemy im sure haha
Virgin Atlantic