This area is set aside for off-topic discussion. Everything that's absolutely nothing to do with travel at all... But please, keep it polite! Forum netiquette rules still apply.
#913710 by CHill710
26 Nov 2015, 14:50
I am off to LAX on Saturday in economy on the VS7 and after a few posts on here mentioning chocolates for the crew I am thinking of getting a box of chocs for the crew on this flight.
But that leaves some questions
1. do people give a box of celebrations/heros/roses etc or something else?
2. Who do I give them to? FSM CSS any of the crew?
3. When do I give them to the crew?

Any advice greatly received.
#913712 by JCBR
26 Nov 2015, 15:21
I have never done this but I feel the appropriate time is towards the end of the flight (not the very end which gets a bit hectic - say an hour before) as a thank you for looking after you well. If they do not look after you well then you can always eat them yourself (but that is very unlikely).
I know some people might say give them at the start of the flight but I feel that makes it look like you are after special treatment. It should be a thank you rather than a pre-payment.
#913713 by Eggtastico
26 Nov 2015, 15:55
don't forget - you may not get them through security!
So might have to buy them at the airport shops.

Personally...
why bother. They will be desperate to get off the plane as quickly as you want to.
I doubt they will bother hanging back to get their share of a few chocolate sweets.
#913719 by buns
26 Nov 2015, 17:56
Chris

What I would say is that before you board the aircraft you will have no idea how good the crew is going to be.

For example, on our recent trip to ATL, we had a truly exceptional crew on the outbound (of course led by a top notch FSM) whereas on the return we had a a very good crew but nowhere in the league of the exceptional cre on the outbound.

My advice would always be that if the crew is well above your expectations then write to Crawley Towers - such comments do make it to individuals

buns
#913726 by andymoss
26 Nov 2015, 19:12
I always do. And deliver to FSM as soon as I board.
#913727 by CHill710
26 Nov 2015, 19:38
some good points from all of you. May be difficult to give at the end of the flight and as stated at the start no idea if the crew are a good crew or a crew in stealth mode.
Might or might not bother. May take a box and eat them myself.
#913738 by MoJoJo
26 Nov 2015, 21:24
On some of my recent flights you'd have problems even finding the FSM....

I am with Buns. If the crew deserve credit give feedback after the flight
#913783 by Maximus
28 Nov 2015, 07:53
Hmmmm, my views on this are probably at odds with most VFlyers but giving a box of chocolates to the crew on boarding seems rather "creepy" to me and likely gives the impression you are on the look-out for special preferences?

Also I expect them to be offereing me chocolates, not vice-versa :-P

A genuine thank you at the end of the flight is certainly going to be welcomed.
#913794 by Bretty
28 Nov 2015, 18:37
I gave sweet treats on my flight home from SFO in the summer. I gave them at the beginning of the flight and popped quickly through to the galley to do it, and I did ask the CC not to say who'd given them. However that didn't happen and he blabbed. So first the FSM came to say thanks, and then gradually the rest of the UC crew one by one and made more fuss than I felt comfortable with.

That aside I wasn't singled out for special treatment (and nor was I seeking it); the crew were amazing with everyone as far as I could tell. But the gift was well appreciated and shared amongst all crew. I'm contemplating doing the same on my flight just before Xmas, but still dithering. I enjoy giving gifts, I just don't like too much fuss from people.
#913815 by Maximus
29 Nov 2015, 14:39
the same topic is being discussed, with some crew opinions.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british- ... -crew.html
#913816 by Bretty
29 Nov 2015, 14:55
Interesting opinions
Virgin Atlantic