This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#916562 by sythe20
30 Jan 2016, 07:24
Hi All,

I was thinking about buying some noise cancelling headphones specifically for flights, but I'm aware that UC provides them (not sure about Ec?). Last time I flew UC I slept most of the way and don't remember what my verdict was on them :blush:

Are they any good? Is it actually worth buying a pair? I don't tend to spend an awful long time watching IFE anyway, so it may be that the NC ones provided would suffice, though perhaps for Economy and PE flights a cheap pair from Amazon might be beneficial?
#916563 by dickydotcom
30 Jan 2016, 07:51
I think you have summed it up pretty well.
I have my own, but they are quite bulky and last year I didn't carry them. I found the set provided adequate.
I also don't spend much time on the IFE and I find the steady drone of the aircraft noise will help me sleep rather than hinder it. If there are noisy passengers then I use earplugs.
I have been fortunate to bag a couple of G seats for my next trip and wont bother with my own headphones.
If I travel PE in future I may consider taking them.
Dick D
#916566 by marshy11
30 Jan 2016, 08:10
Bose QC25 here. There can often be a deal with one of the Amazon sites in Europe.
#916594 by sythe20
30 Jan 2016, 19:10
Thanks for the tips.

Think i'm inclined to try the provided UC ones again in a couple months and see how I feel. Those discounted ones are interesting. I've also looked at the QC25s and also the QC 20s as I find in ear ones slightly more comfortable (and can lay down with them in).

Thinking about it, like one of you said, maybe I don't actually want to drown out the sound of the engines completely...
#916595 by Hamster
30 Jan 2016, 19:44
Last time I flew UC, the headphones were cr*p... The padding has been squashed so much it didn't puff out anymore. I have my old QC15's, love them. The QC25's are a bit better.
#916665 by LucyLu
01 Feb 2016, 11:30
I have the Bose QC20 in-ear ones and won't fly without them, they are fantastic. I never used to be able to sleep on a flight, then I got some QC15s. The only problem with them was that it was difficult to sleep with your head sideways due to the bulk, so when the QC20s came out I was interested. My hand was forced in the end when I forgot to pack the QC15s when travelling to JNB (two 11-hour overnight flights), so I bought some QC20s at the airport (not cheap!). I wish I had bought them years ago - they are really good and so small to carry around in their little pouch.
#916678 by flirble
01 Feb 2016, 17:07
LucyLu wrote:I have the Bose QC20 in-ear ones and won't fly without them, they are fantastic. I never used to be able to sleep on a flight, then I got some QC15s. The only problem with them was that it was difficult to sleep with your head sideways due to the bulk, so when the QC20s came out I was interested. My hand was forced in the end when I forgot to pack the QC15s when travelling to JNB (two 11-hour overnight flights), so I bought some QC20s at the airport (not cheap!). I wish I had bought them years ago - they are really good and so small to carry around in their little pouch.

I have QC25's best thing I have EVER bought, related to travel, much cheaper to buy them in the US $ = £ - was much more palatable when they did the 6months interest free installments - but they've even stopped them now :(
#916681 by Kraken
01 Feb 2016, 17:26
I have the Bose QC20i's (the variant for Apple products) and they are excellent. As has already been said, far from cheap, but I like the in-ear design, which means I can sleep with them on (especially if in UC with a pillow to soften the slight feel of them even more).

I am partially deaf, so if the QC20i's are not quite as good as the QC25's, then it's lost on me. (Bit like when the car dealer tried to flog me a Bang & Olufsen sound system - told him he was wasting his time!)

On my last but one UC trip, my friend used the UC headphones & asked me why I was sticking to the QC20i's. I let him try them briefly and he got the picture. Quite simply, when you have the QC20i's properly in your ears - with the noise cancelling on, obviously - there is literally no aircraft noise. Turn noise cancelling off briefly and the difference is huge.
#916685 by sythe20
01 Feb 2016, 18:44
From what you are all saying I think i'll have to try a pair of 'proper' NC headphones sometime to see what the effect is. Definitely one to try before I buy! Shame you can't try them on an actual aircraft though... background noise of a shop would have to do!
#916697 by LucyLu
01 Feb 2016, 22:17
I tried the QC20s at the duty free shop at the airport (they assured me they clean the earpieces between demos!) and the guy was talking to me as he turned them on and it was like he stopped talking.

Like Kraken I sometimes turn the NC off and see what difference it makes to the aircraft noise. They are just wonderful for me as they equal the chance of sleep on a longhaul flight!
#916733 by joeyc
02 Feb 2016, 16:54
My QC15s are still going strong and are much better than any that I have been provided with on flights. Highly recommend them.
#916736 by Maximus
02 Feb 2016, 17:41
Can I ask those of you who have qc20i headphones. Will they work at all in non-Aplle products? I mainly listen to my iphone but also use a laptop.
#916737 by Kraken
02 Feb 2016, 17:52
Maximus wrote:Can I ask those of you who have qc20i headphones. Will they work at all in non-Aplle products? I mainly listen to my iphone but also use a laptop.

Just tried my QC20i's on my LG television - they work fine. The buttons on the "in line" microphone bit (so volume up / down / pause / skip track) have no effect though, but the headphones & noise-cancelling function work fine. The in-line buttons clearly only work on Apple devices.
#916739 by Maximus
02 Feb 2016, 18:30
Kraken wrote:
Maximus wrote:Can I ask those of you who have qc20i headphones. Will they work at all in non-Aplle products? I mainly listen to my iphone but also use a laptop.

Just tried my QC20i's on my LG television - they work fine. The buttons on the "in line" microphone bit (so volume up / down / pause / skip track) have no effect though, but the headphones & noise-cancelling function work fine. The in-line buttons clearly only work on Apple devices.

Thanks for trying that, much appreciated.

I wonder if the Samsung/ Android version buttons work on the iPhone? Not a big deal though as the volume can be adjusted on the device itself. As long as the noise cancellation and speakers wor
#916753 by jhoulston
03 Feb 2016, 00:06
Sadly the buttons from Samsung / Android won't work on the iPhone. I think Apple switched the 3rd and 4th pin from the conventional TRRS (tip,ring,ring,sleeve) development by Nokia. Apple have patented their design as well so will be a while before an industry standard is released - sadly.
#917209 by marshy11
11 Feb 2016, 16:06
Amazon Germany have a reduction on the Bose QC25 Apple €239 and Android €250.

www.amazon.de/Bose-QuietComfort-Cancelling-headphones-Apple-Geräte/dp/B00M1NEUKK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1455203212&sr=8-1&keywords=bose+qc+25

Sorry it's a cut and paste but the link wouldn't work.
#917217 by sythe20
11 Feb 2016, 19:05
marshy11 wrote:Amazon Germany have a reduction on the Bose QC25 Apple €239 and Android €250.

www.amazon.de/Bose-QuietComfort-Cancelling-headphones-Apple-Geräte/dp/B00M1NEUKK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1455203212&sr=8-1&keywords=bose+qc+25

Sorry it's a cut and paste but the link wouldn't work.

That's worth looking at, thanks
#917219 by AlanA
11 Feb 2016, 21:39
sythe20 wrote:From what you are all saying I think i'll have to try a pair of 'proper' NC headphones sometime to see what the effect is. Definitely one to try before I buy! Shame you can't try them on an actual aircraft though... background noise of a shop would have to do!

Fly American Business Class, they hand out Bose headphones for these flights
#937908 by s2driveruk
30 Aug 2017, 22:30
Looks like i am the only one not using bose but i have two pairs of sony on ear and full over ear cans. Incredibly comfortable and bluetooth for cable free when listening to music which is what i mainly do on flights anyway. For IFE i can plug in a cable for a movie. Genuinely think n/c headphones are one of the best tech items i own. Made commuting to the city on a packed train and tube bearable and on long flights a pleasure. Get a pair and you wont regret it...
#937909 by oldboy
30 Aug 2017, 22:46
I am not that discerning when it comes to the best headphones to use on aircraft, I have always found the equipment supplied in VS/UC to be perfectly adequate for my needs.
#937996 by Eggtastico
03 Sep 2017, 09:58
s2driveruk wrote:Looks like i am the only one not using bose but i have two pairs of sony on ear and full over ear cans. Incredibly comfortable and bluetooth for cable free when listening to music which is what i mainly do on flights anyway. For IFE i can plug in a cable for a movie. Genuinely think n/c headphones are one of the best tech items i own. Made commuting to the city on a packed train and tube bearable and on long flights a pleasure. Get a pair and you wont regret it...

I dont have Bose - I dont listen to music, so dont see the point in spending good money on them (yet perfectly happy to throw ££££ at Snowboarding equipment for my 1 week a year!)
I have these - which are adequate for my needs :-
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1

They are not as good as BOSE, but they cancel out a lot of background & more importantly Engine noise & let me watch my movies in peace.
Virgin Atlantic