#918357 by gumshoe
04 Mar 2016, 22:35
Your flight will almost certainly leave from T5A (the main T5 building) so you've a choice of two Galleries Club lounges, North and South.

South, the one two flights up, is bigger but both have the same food & drink offer (self service bar; hot buffet at breakfast, lunch & dinner otherwise soup/sandwiches/salad/snacks). And both tend to be very busy most of the time.
Last edited by gumshoe on 04 Mar 2016, 22:38, edited 1 time in total.
#918358 by Hamster
04 Mar 2016, 22:36
Closest to exiting security will be T5 Galleries North, they are all the same really, T5B likely to be quieter if your flight departs from B or C (if you are told in advance!)
#918361 by Hamster
04 Mar 2016, 23:12
gilly wrote:Thank you. Sounds as though they're nothing to write home about then?

Nothing like Virgin, but are better than many many other airlines lounges! (IMO)
#918362 by Silver Fox
04 Mar 2016, 23:16
Hamster wrote:
gilly wrote:Thank you. Sounds as though they're nothing to write home about then?

Nothing like Virgin, but are better than many many other airlines lounges! (IMO)

I would put any lounge in T2 ahead of the BA galleries. Especially the United one. :)
#918365 by mitchja
05 Mar 2016, 00:29
Another thing that may sway you is the south security lines in T5 are often much quicker than the north ones. The indicator signs above both security entrances often show the south one often less than half as busy, not sure how it's calculated or how accurate those indicators are though?

I think many pax have a mis-conception that the south security is for premium pax only. It's not. Anyone can use either one.

It was standing room only last time I used the north lounge as well last year.

Everything on the north end of terminal 5 seems to get busier than the south end for some reason.
#918367 by gumshoe
05 Mar 2016, 05:57
Silver Fox wrote:
Hamster wrote:

I would put any lounge in T2 ahead of the BA galleries. Especially the United one. :)

The Aer Lingus one is nothing to write home about but yes, the Plaza Premium and United ones certainly are very good.

BA's lounges are functional and suit its largely corporate customer base. Are they fun places, where you'd happily arrive early to spend time in them like the Clubhouse? No, but they're not meant to be. They're ok when they're not busy but sadly that's rare. Finding a seat at peak times can be tough.

Looking forward to the new Plaza Premium lounge opening in T5 later this year.
#918385 by Hamster
05 Mar 2016, 13:44
mitchja wrote:Another thing that may sway you is the south security lines in T5 are often much quicker than the north ones. The indicator signs above both security entrances often show the south one often less than half as busy, not sure how it's calculated or how accurate those indicators are though?

I think many pax have a mis-conception that the south security is for premium pax only. It's not. Anyone can use either one.

It was standing room only last time I used the north lounge as well last year.

Everything on the north end of terminal 5 seems to get busier than the south end for some reason.

There is now a dedicated Fast Track entrance at the North Security area, this exits very close to the Galleries North entrance. Plus wherever you go through security, unless you are traveling in First or have CCR card, you have to basically walk past Galleries North, even if you want to go to Galleries South, hence why it is often busier. But you might as well have a look in Galleries North, and if its too busy, go have a look in Galleries South (top floor)

It all depends on the time of day, I've been in Galleries North before and its been very quiet, no need to walk down to South. (Have also been 1 of 5 in T5B Galleries!)
#918411 by gilly
05 Mar 2016, 19:57
Our flight is 08.55 which I imagine means we'll be there during a busy time, or am I wrong?
#918413 by gumshoe
05 Mar 2016, 20:34
It may not be too horrendous as the bulk of the TATL long hauls don't leave until later in the morning - there's only a couple of New Yorks around then I think. A fair few domestics & Europeans but obviously they're far smaller.
#918421 by Maximus
05 Mar 2016, 23:30
Enjoy Venice. We were there on Monday but flew to Florence from LCY. I find all the BA Club Lounges in T5 much of a muchness to be honest. As said above, they are functional but little to get excited about. Mornings can be very busy.
#918586 by gilly
09 Mar 2016, 22:00
I have just made the mistake of looking at the Club Europe seating. Can the seat pitch really be only 30" ? That must surely be even less that Economy long haul? I am sure it used to be more than 30".

Better practise folding my legs under my chin!
#918588 by Blacky1
09 Mar 2016, 22:22
gilly wrote:I have just made the mistake of looking at the Club Europe seating. Can the seat pitch really be only 30" ? That must surely be even less that Economy long haul? I am sure it used to be more than 30".

It's not great :-(
#918594 by Hamster
10 Mar 2016, 02:47
gilly wrote:I have just made the mistake of looking at the Club Europe seating. Can the seat pitch really be only 30" ? That must surely be even less that Economy long haul? I am sure it used to be more than 30".

Yup, BA have made the seat pitch the same in CE as it is in ET (apart from the A319 where ET is 29"). The only seat benefit is the empty middle seat with the nice table/consol. (Oh and the CE seats actually have real stitching rather than fake moulded stitching further back...). The leg room isn't too bad, it's only slightly reduced from what it was before because of the shape and design of the new seats (pitch is a bad way of measuring leg room). 1C is a good seat if you really want to stretch your legs out though.
#918595 by Blacky1
10 Mar 2016, 07:52
Hamster wrote:

Yup, BA have made the seat pitch the same in CE as it is in ET (apart from the A319 where ET is 29"). The only seat benefit is the empty middle seat with the nice table/consol. (Oh and the CE seats actually have real stitching rather than fake moulded stitching further back...). The leg room isn't too bad, it's only slightly reduced from what it was before because of the shape and design of the new seats (pitch is a bad way of measuring leg room). 1C is a good seat if you really want to stretch your legs out though.

I've only done CE for one trip but had the old going out on a 737 and the new coming back on an A319 or 320 , can't remember exactly but I found the difference really noticeable
#918596 by Maximus
10 Mar 2016, 08:04
IMO the difference between BA CE and ET is so negligible it really does not warrant the additional expense. On short haul trips I can manage very well without a lounge, enhanced meal and a 2 seat roww.

An Exit seat in ET is preferable.
#918608 by gumshoe
10 Mar 2016, 13:20
Ah but you don't get champagne in ET. Which, if Flyertalk is anything to go by, is an essential that can't be lived without, thus justifying CE. (Maybe it helps dull the cramp induced by the seats ...)
#918613 by Hamster
10 Mar 2016, 14:47
Maximus wrote:IMO the difference between BA CE and ET is so negligible it really does not warrant the additional expense. On short haul trips I can manage very well without a lounge, enhanced meal and a 2 seat roww.

An Exit seat in ET is preferable.

Thats very true, if you have lounge access through status, there is even less reason to pay CE unless you are after the TP's (the food is much better IMO though).

There are some very good fares sometimes, but the main reason BA has it is for connections traffic.
#918639 by gilly
10 Mar 2016, 20:41
We are joining a cruise, so wanted the extra baggage allowance - all those beaded dresses weigh a lot!
Virgin Atlantic