#926461 by cjrp
22 Sep 2016, 15:42
Thought this might be of interest. Funny that BA's First product is playing catchup to Virgin's Business.

The new wing “will be located next to the airlines [sic] first check-in area. It will create an enhanced private check-in zone where customers will be guided to two new dedicated security lanes, designed to speed up the process of passing through the airport. Once through security, customers will have dedicated access to British Airways’ Galleries First lounge and through to the airline’s flagship Concorde Room,” BA promises. That’s a step up over Virgin, which hasn’t managed to negotiate a shopping-free fast-track for its passengers.

https://www.runwaygirlnetwork.com/2016/ ... ign=buffer
#926466 by tontybear
22 Sep 2016, 16:53
The reason why BA didn't do this before was because they were unwilling to pay HAL the £1m a year fee they wanted to allow F and top status passengers not to go through the shops. Or more likely BA felt the didn't need it in the original designs.

It's physically impossible for VS to have the same due to the layout of the T3.
#926470 by mitchja
22 Sep 2016, 17:14
I mean seriously, who actually cares if you have to walk past shops to get the the VS Clubhouse? It's not actually a hardship is it?
#926472 by Eggtastico
22 Sep 2016, 17:29
tontybear wrote:The reason why BA didn't do this before was because they were unwilling to pay HAL the £1m a year fee they wanted to allow F and top status passengers not to go through the shops. Or more likely BA felt the didn't need it in the original designs.

It's physically impossible for VS to have the same due to the layout of the T3.

hmm Im sure I saw that on TV where BA was paying £1m for them passengers not to walk through duty free
#926474 by Hamster
22 Sep 2016, 17:42
The current door that lets BA F pax skip the retail and enter the Concorde Room is know as the "million pound door".

This new wing is just dressing it up a little nicer and opening it to Executive Club Gold members.

It is a slightly 'worse' version of what was there before for First passengers, as you will now enter straight into the First Lounge, when you will now have to exit and go across the the Concord Room. There will also be a duty free shop within this new security channel. It will be interesting to see if they keep the current "million pound door" for those who go through North Security (or South) and those arriving from a connecting flight.

Massive improvement for Gold Card holders not traveling in First though.
#926488 by hazban
22 Sep 2016, 21:20
Certainly long overdue! T5 is BA's principal hub and should be a showcase to their product. Unfortunately due to recent "enhancements" BA First is now considered a good business class product and it is time that they did something to pacify mugs like me who are prepared to continue supporting them!
Unfortunately my latest journey to YVR and MIA left from T3.
I have however experienced passing through the "million dollar door" and can testify that on the other side is a very nice, serene lounge (but it ain't a Clubhouse!)
I'm split in supporting both VS & BA but at the end of the day it all boils down to getting the best value for a particular route on a particular day! 8-)
#927630 by Smid
20 Oct 2016, 14:18
Eggtastico wrote:hmm Im sure I saw that on TV where BA was paying £1m for them passengers not to walk through duty free

I've always reckon the separation of people in First (and in Upper in a way), was about giving celebrities and well known people a bit of an alternative route through the multitudes... Which costs the duty free access. Though I'm sure they could open a shop just after security in that wing.
#927642 by Hamster
20 Oct 2016, 20:08
Smid wrote:Though I'm sure they could open a shop just after security in that wing.

They are! There will be a small shop after security occupied by a 'luxury' brand.
#927644 by gumshoe
20 Oct 2016, 20:32
So will the existing "million pound door" still be there? Because as I understand it the new First wing will take you round to the other side of the lounge complex, to provide direct access to the Flounge.

In which case passengers with access to the Concorde Room, who don't currently have to pass a shop, will have to in the new wing. They won't like that .......
Virgin Atlantic