#930031 by Kraken
14 Dec 2016, 15:53
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38319538

Unclear if this is just the "mixed-fleet" crew (long & short haul) or the "world-fleet" crew who do long-haul only, but on greatly inferior T&C's + pay to the "old-fleet" crew on those gold-plated contracts that require little work for a lot of pay.

The article only mentions "mixed-fleet" and 2000 crew being balloted, which suggests the industrial action may not have too much affect. All depends on how many other union members strike as a result though.
#930032 by tontybear
14 Dec 2016, 16:08
There may not even be any strikes.

To much panicking already going on on flyer talk !
#930043 by Hamster
14 Dec 2016, 22:31
It is Mixed Fleet crew, every member of crew employed since 2010 is Mixed Fleet. Some MF crew I know are unhappy with their pay, but it is way above what Unite is suggesting. All crew have gotten a pay rise every year, main crew getting 2% this year and the senior crew are on PRP so their pay rise is based on performance.

Old contracts are World Wide that do long haul only, and Euro Fleet who only do short haul. And don't forget the Gatwick Crew, who are on similar contracts to Mixed Fleet.
#930047 by Eggtastico
15 Dec 2016, 08:05
If you dont like your job/pay/conditions then stop moaning & find another.
Its not like BA have suddenly changed any of their working conditions that would be detrimental. In fact, they have probably enhanced them with the need not to serve food in Economy & maybe earn a bit more in commission sales.
Hope BA is hardline & get rid of anyone who has been under there for 2 years who are striking. Plenty of people out there who would happily take their jobs.

If they cry EasyJet staff get more pay, then let them twaddle off for jobs to EasyJet, where I bet you the work is a lot more difficult.
#930050 by tontybear
15 Dec 2016, 10:29
What an awful attitude you have there. You should work for BA management.

Contrast with SRB who basically says invest in your staff and they will work hard and they will stay and work for you.

It is actually very expensive to constantly recruit and train cabin crew and a constant churn of staff is no way to build a skilled and motivated workforce. Nor is it good for passengers who receive variable levels of service. Watch the 'Very British Airline' documentary for an insight into how hard the training is. One of the people in that programme left BA soon after because the reality of the job did not match the image BA portrayed (and this was an educated woman with no illusions of a jet set life style not some starry eyed teenager).

BA promised these people a particular level of pay (something like 'industry standard + 10%") but it has simply not materialised that is why they are angry. BA have also changed policies on overnight stays at out stations for example and how their performance is managed. They recently 'restructured' at LGW which cut the pay of another group of staff in some cases by 25%. A whole cadre of experienced staff did leave but that caused other problems but BA management didn't care as they met their savings targets.

They have tried negotiating but it hasn't worked so they are possibly going to take strike action. That is their absolute right in this country. Threatening to sack people for asserting their rights is hardly likely to keep them motivated is it? And it's hardly likely to make other people want to go and work for you either.

Buy on Board will actually mean MORE not less work for the cabin crew. As for commission a BA staffer has reported it's going to be pennies for whatever they manage to sell. And that's likely after dealing with angry passengers annoyed they now have to pay for food and drink.

And that's after they've dealt with all the other complaints about BA cut backs.

All these people want are the pay and conditions promised to them. Surely that's not too much to ask?
#930059 by Eggtastico
15 Dec 2016, 13:22
The motivation for the job is exactly the same reason they signed up for.
To see the world.
Who chooses an air hostess career for any other reason?
Its no different to working in a pub or cafe. There is no glamour in taking a flight. Its a means to get from A to B, like riding the train or bus.

As for promises, well a quick google shows the job paying £12k & £2.80 an hour for every hour away from Heathrow - I dont see any promises of anything else. Just that earnings could be as high as £21k - So I guess anyone on a 24 or 48 hour layover are making a wage around £21k. Anyone who starts the day in heathrow & ends it in heathrow is not.
Easyjet starts at £10k.
Buy on Board will not mean they will be more busy, it will be exactly the same as it is on budget airlines.
Come around with the trolley & sell overpriced food. So rather than serving a meal to every passenger, they will now be serving less.
While there will be angry passengers, this will only be those who booked before the announcement & taking a flight after its introduced (& I have a flight booked that will affect my party of 14 in such a way).

BA are competing more & more around europe with budget airlines. Lots of passengers are not prepared to pay the premium to fly BA & will choose the cheaper choice.
Those who are prepared to pay for the premium can fly business class where they can get a meal & the level of service they expect.
#930065 by Hamster
15 Dec 2016, 15:40
Just a few points...

Mixed Fleet crew only operate out of Heathrow

The average salary of full time MF main crew is above £21k. (there are quite a few on less than full time hours)

Part of their hourly payment is non-taxable as it's to cover the cost of food.

Commission can add up (not massively though), it's 10% of all sales divided up by who was on the flight.

Mixed Fleet main crew haven't had any major changes, CSMs have had changes to the way their performance is recorded/measured.

When crew spend at the hotel downroute, it is deducted from their pay packet - I know crew who easily spend a few hundred £s so that money never hits their bank account, they then feel they are paid less. Some WW crew I know, and Pilots, will take food with them, just like many people take a packed lunch to work, to save money.

Mixed Fleet has a very high turnover of staff

Crew move between the airlines in all directions, different airlines suit different people.
#930135 by Hamster
16 Dec 2016, 22:26
So strikes dates announced for Christmas Day and Boxing Day.

BA have made quite a strong statement on their website. Disruption will only be to short haul routes at Heathrow.
#930168 by ken54
17 Dec 2016, 13:24
When I flew BA in september I was speaking to cabin crew on the new contracts and he was telling me that he was working in a supermarket on his days off to make ends meet I bet
Alex Cruz or Wallie Walsh don't have to do this . I back all my brothers and sisters for there stand
#930178 by Eggtastico
17 Dec 2016, 17:55
ken54 wrote:When I flew BA in september I was speaking to cabin crew on the new contracts and he was telling me that he was working in a supermarket on his days off to make ends meet I bet
Alex Cruz or Wallie Walsh don't have to do this . I back all my brothers and sisters for there stand

so.. lots of people have to work 2 or more jobs to make ends meet.
#930207 by Eggtastico
18 Dec 2016, 13:35
he chooses to be cabin crew.
he chooses to supplement his income with a 2nd job.
That is the choice he has had made. Equally he could choose to try & get 1 job that pays the same (or more).
#930212 by ken54
18 Dec 2016, 13:53
dear eggtastico
The way your are talking you must work for BA management all working people should have a good standard of living from there job with out working a second to make ends meet your views are straight out of the 1980's and so out of step with people's views in 2016
#930215 by Hamster
18 Dec 2016, 15:38
People should have a good standard of living.

In London the Mayor sets the 'London Living Wage' as an indication of what companies should pay as a minimum "to give a worker in London and their family enough to afford the essentials and to save."

BA Mixed Fleet crew earn over the London Living Wage.
#930267 by Eggtastico
19 Dec 2016, 08:43
ken54 wrote:dear eggtastico
The way your are talking you must work for BA management all working people should have a good standard of living from there job with out working a second to make ends meet your views are straight out of the 1980's and so out of step with people's views in 2016

Maybe you need to get the chaps bank statement & see what he is spending his money on.
For all you could know he may have full sky Tv bundle, expensive tablet & phone contracts, high speed internet, pay for gym membership & goes out drinking 2-3 times a week. Maybe even rent in an expensive area & have a few things on HP, maybe he has student loan or big credit card debt. These are all lifestyle choices.

I know plenty of people who work second jobs - not to make ends meet, but to give them a bit extra pocket money.

Its not the 80's as we have a minimum wage which provides a minimum standard of living.
#930300 by hiljil
19 Dec 2016, 13:54
I see the film 'Frozen" is on tv on Christmas Day.

Now what's that song ? Let it go ?! Let it go .........
#930318 by Eggtastico
19 Dec 2016, 19:27
gumshoe wrote:Could you live on it in London?

No idea because I dont live in London.
Though I will answer your question that I wouldn't live somewhere I couldn't afford.

£21k is about equal to what a newly qualified Nurse or Teacher works.
If you believe the daily redtops, they all supplement their salary in spearmint rhino 8-)
At least the pretty ones do....
#930322 by Hev60
19 Dec 2016, 20:09
hiljil wrote:I see the film 'Frozen" is on tv on Christmas Day.

Now what's that song ? Let it go ?! Let it go .........

:-D nice one but the advice will probably fall on deaf ears, shame
#930886 by Hamster
04 Jan 2017, 11:34
New strike dates announced: Tuesday 10th and Wednesday 11th January

BA have stated that all customers will reach their destination, more details coming on Friday.
Virgin Atlantic