For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#931297 by pjh
13 Jan 2017, 11:52
I've just received an email from Emirates telling me that as a Blue member (lowest of the low) I can now purchase access to the Business lounge at Dubai when flying Emirates or Qantas. At USD100 it's not cheap, but given their lounges are often not the haven of tranquility they claim I would have thought any increase in the number of users would be detriment of the offering.
#931299 by gumshoe
13 Jan 2017, 12:07
Interesting ... EK also announced recently it's deferring its latest delivery of A380s. Which, as easily their biggest buyer, is a blow for Airbus.

The thinking over at airliners.net is that the EK bubble has burst because it's saturated the market, with speculation that its rapid growth in passenger numbers is slowing down.

Hasn't it also recently started charging for seat selection? Perhaps even EK isn't immune from the race to the bottom.
#931300 by slinky09
13 Jan 2017, 12:15
gumshoe wrote:Interesting ... EK also announced recently it's deferring its latest delivery of A380s. Which, as easily their biggest buyer, is a blow for Airbus.

The thinking over at airliners.net is that the EK bubble has burst because it's saturated the market, with speculation that its rapid growth in passenger numbers is slowing down.

Hasn't it also recently started charging for seat selection? Perhaps even EK isn't immune from the race to the bottom.

The deferrals are more to do with the congested state of DXB, and I don't agree with the ANet thread on bubbles bursting. EK now has very little other than 777s and 380s and has no growth space at DXB since DWC is so delayed ...
#931315 by joeyc
13 Jan 2017, 13:54
Have you been to the EK F or J lounges in Dubai? They are massive, stretching the entire length and width of the terminal. It took me what seemed like 20minutes to walk from one end to the other.

I think putting a few more pax in there is barely going to be noticeable. The only thing it may affect is the wait time for the showers, been seeing queues lately but it does depend on arrival time.
#931328 by pjh
13 Jan 2017, 17:42
joeyc wrote:Have you been to the EK F or J lounges in Dubai? They are massive, stretching the entire length and width of the terminal. It took me what seemed like 20minutes to walk from one end to the other.

I think putting a few more pax in there is barely going to be noticeable. The only thing it may affect is the wait time for the showers, been seeing queues lately but it does depend on arrival time.

Yep, a few times. This last summer it was hard to find a seat at peak time.
Virgin Atlantic