This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#931150 by HWVlover
10 Jan 2017, 12:50
gumshoe wrote:I thought it was 31 seats (compared to 33 now).

Indeed it was 33 and the seat plan currently showing on my booking for the 330 at the end of April has 31, 10A's, 11Gs and 10Ks. Not sure where the bar is..perhaps at the front?

The Dreamliner seat plan seems to have 11 in the A and K rows and 9 in the centre.

What the 330 will actually look like is, of course, another matter.

I have asked VS and will let you know their response.
#931151 by tontybear
10 Jan 2017, 13:09
current seat map for A330 on vs websire

A - 1-9 = 9 seats
D - 1-7 = 7 seats
G- 1-8 = 8 seats
K - 1-9 = 9 seats = 33 seats

remove either D or G means either 26 or 25 seats left ???

I thought the 'old' UCS was bigger than the 'Dream' so am confused how they get them in.
#931153 by gumshoe
10 Jan 2017, 13:12
The bar's still at the back AFAIK.

Removing the 'D' seats means there's room to change the angle of the suites.

So they'll be able to fit 11 in 'A' and 'K' instead of 9, and 9 in 'G' instead of 8.

Hence a net loss of only 2 seats per aircraft.
#931158 by HWVlover
10 Jan 2017, 16:10
gumshoe wrote:So they'll be able to fit 11 in 'A' and 'K' instead of 9, and 9 in 'G' instead of 8.

Which layout is completely different from what I see at the moment.
What fun!
#931160 by pjh
10 Jan 2017, 17:39
HWVlover wrote:
gumshoe wrote:So they'll be able to fit 11 in 'A' and 'K' instead of 9, and 9 in 'G' instead of 8.

Which layout is completely different from what I see at the moment.
What fun!

Hey, chill. In the past 18 months I've been on flights where having selected the seats in once instance number of the row we'd selected to did not exist, and in the other one the letter did not exist.
#931162 by HWVlover
10 Jan 2017, 18:14
pjh wrote:Hey, chill. In the past 18 months I've been on flights where having selected the seats in once instance number of the row we'd selected to did not exist, and in the other one the letter did not exist.

As you know exactly where I am going you can rely on me being absolutely completely and utterly chilled!
:roll: :roll: :roll:
#931168 by marshy11
10 Jan 2017, 19:27
HWVlover wrote:
pjh wrote:Hey, chill. In the past 18 months I've been on flights where having selected the seats in once instance number of the row we'd selected to did not exist, and in the other one the letter did not exist.

As you know exactly where I am going you can rely on me being absolutely completely and utterly chilled!

Off THERE again? :-( Any room in your case?
#931172 by pjh
10 Jan 2017, 22:36
HWVlover wrote:

As I sit here in a third rate hotel on the outskirts of Amsterdam can I just say... you (lucky) b*st*ard, :cool:
#931450 by HWVlover
16 Jan 2017, 10:42
According to an e-mail I have just received from Crawley Towers the Dreamliner seating plan for my A330 is correct and I shall be flying on a plane with the new UC configuration at the end of April.

I am not too sure how that reconciles with the information contained in this thread so I think I will take the e-mail content with a pinch of salt and carry on logging in to my booking, (I want to change seats should the opportunity arise).

marshy11 wrote:Off THERE again? :-( Any room in your case?
).

Indeed dear lady, on both counts!

pjh wrote:As I sit here in a third rate hotel on the outskirts of Amsterdam can I just say... you (lucky) b*st*ard, :cool:

Paul, I shall consume several Eldorado 15s for you.
#931453 by pjh
16 Jan 2017, 15:22
HWVlover wrote:
pjh wrote:As I sit here in a third rate hotel on the outskirts of Amsterdam can I just say... you (lucky) b*st*ard, :cool:

Paul, I shall consume several Eldorado 15s for you.

I thank you, kind sir.
#931455 by cymba
16 Jan 2017, 17:59
tontybear wrote:current seat map for A330 on vs websire

A - 1-9 = 9 seats
D - 1-7 = 7 seats
G- 1-8 = 8 seats
K - 1-9 = 9 seats = 33 seats

Strange, the seat map on my booking for my flight later this year shows thus:
A - 6-10 = 5 seats
G- 1-11 = 11 seats
K - 1-10 = 10 seats = 26 seats
Maybe due to VS not knowing if this will be a refitted A330 or not(??}, but would have expected to see A1-A5.
#931458 by mitchja
16 Jan 2017, 19:02
1A-5A are going to be the crew rest seats for the longer VS flights. West coast US / LAS for example.

The shorter east coast US flights are not using those seats as crew rest though.
#931460 by tontybear
16 Jan 2017, 21:37
What is weird is that I have bookings to IAD in November. Both listed as the A330.

Outbound is showing the 'old' seat map - i.e. 4 columns of seats (A-DG-K) and 33 seats in total. The seats are shown as being slanted suites

Inbound is showing the 'new' seat map i.e. 3 columns (A-G-K) and 31 seats in total. The seats are just shown as square blocks

Have window seats so should be immune from any seat shenanigans!
#931475 by Falcon22
17 Jan 2017, 03:02
Hi everyone, this is my first post here. I'm flying on the new A330 Upper Class layout in April it seems as it shows the same layout as the poster above:

A - 6-10 = 5 seats
G- 1-11 = 11 seats
K - 1-10 = 10 seats = 26 seats

With the bar at the front.

Right now there's plenty of empty seats showing. There's 3 of us plus an almost 22 month old (at the time of travel). I'm trying to figure out where the quietest seats would be to book so I can put kiddo to sleep without him being woken up by noise and have the entire cabin hate me. I'm thinking rows 5-7, so between the bar at the front and the back by the restrooms and galley for Premium Economy. Any advice? Has anyone done this route with an infant? (SFO-MAN and back) and if so any other tips?

Thanks,
Mike
#931477 by VSSCC
17 Jan 2017, 10:20
Hi Mike

Welcome!
I'd suggest seat 6A onwards for a couple of reasons..

1. The A seats look at the back of the G seats so there is much less traffic in your aisle and you get a lot more privacy
2. Sears 1-5A are blocked out for crew rest on this route so a large curtain will be placed around these seats so that the crew can take their break undisturbed so it will make this side even quieter and calmer.

Hope this helps and you have a great trip!
#931478 by gumshoe
17 Jan 2017, 10:57
Why do people think the bar's moving to the front of UC?

The new seat maps don't suggest that at all - they don't actually show the bar. The knife & fork symbol is the galley, which IS at the front.

AFAIK the bar is staying more or less where it is so if you want to avoid it, sit near the front.

And as mentioned upthread, it would be dangerous to assume that a seat map showing the new configuration means that's definitely what you'll get.

The new config hasn't been installed on a single plane yet and each one will take several weeks to complete so it's safest to assume you'll get the old config and treat it as a bonus if you don't.
#931479 by HWVlover
17 Jan 2017, 11:12
gumshoe wrote:Why do people think the bar's moving to the front of UC?

The new seat maps don't suggest that at all - they don't actually show the bar. The knife & fork symbol is the galley, which IS at the front.

AFAIK the bar is staying more or less where it is so if you want to avoid it, sit near the front.

Gumshoe, because

front

vs1.jpg
vs1.jpg (39.61 KiB) Viewed 13692 times

back

vs2.jpg
vs2.jpg (30.45 KiB) Viewed 13692 times
#931481 by gumshoe
17 Jan 2017, 11:25
Ok ... on the app version the glasses are replaced by knives & forks, indicating the galley which is, and always has been, at the front of UC behind the cockpit door.

There's no room for a bar there!
#931485 by HWVlover
17 Jan 2017, 11:44
gumshoe wrote:Ok ... on the app version the glasses are replaced by knives & forks, indicating the galley which is, and always has been, at the front of UC behind the cockpit door.

There's no room for a bar there!

Not much down the back either with 11 seats down the centre, although I guess the angle of those will not be so great. Perhaps the lack of a "cocktail glass" means NO BAR!!!!!!

Time will tell. And to lose sleep over a) whether there is a bar in UC and b) where it is, really would be a first world problem!

:D
#931495 by VSSCC
17 Jan 2017, 17:56
I was in Xiamen recently where the refit is happening. Virginboy is right the bar will be in what is now a large cupboard in the second galley with the bar stool facing towards the back of the plane and will be close to the loo's.
#931506 by Falcon22
18 Jan 2017, 02:41
VSSCC wrote:Hi Mike

Welcome!
I'd suggest seat 6A onwards for a couple of reasons..

1. The A seats look at the back of the G seats so there is much less traffic in your aisle and you get a lot more privacy
2. Sears 1-5A are blocked out for crew rest on this route so a large curtain will be placed around these seats so that the crew can take their break undisturbed so it will make this side even quieter and calmer.

Hope this helps and you have a great trip!

Thanks! I took 6-8A so kiddo should also have a little space to walk around.
#931538 by SNOMO
19 Jan 2017, 16:48
Falcon22 wrote:Thanks! I took 6-8A so kiddo should also have a little space to walk around.

Would you mind posting or even sending me a PM please when you have done your flight as we are doing the same flight in September so I'd be very interested to know the layout.
We've gone for 5/6 K out and back at present so I'll have time to change them ( hopefully) if needs be, on your recommendation. Thanks.
Virgin Atlantic