This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#932846 by narikin
19 Feb 2017, 13:10
I found a PE W on Delta.com that is better value than PE options on VS itself. All the flights are on VS metal, but codeshare with Delta flight numbers. My question is: does this W have all the exact same terms as a VS W? TP earned, flexibility, upgrade-ability, etc? Can my VS miles upgrade a Delta W ticket to UC? or is a Delta W somehow lesser than a VS W?

thanks!
#932849 by SlimpyJones
19 Feb 2017, 15:18
If you're finding much cheaper options on DL it'll likely wind up being booked into a Virgin K-class fare. Unfortunately no, DL W does not equal VS W. DL only has one Premium Economy booking class, so it'll always go into that for their website, but the actual carrier's fare code will be visible on your booking on the VS site. With regards to flexibility though, those will likely be under Delta's terms as they are the ones who sold you the ticket.

As for using VS miles... not in advance as you have essentially used a third party. You might be able to do it on the day of the flight, though.
#932859 by narikin
19 Feb 2017, 18:18
Thanks, but the Delta website clearly says the ticket is a W class one. Now, maybe as you suggest Delta saying W will somehow mutate into a K when looked at on VS website, but, there's a chance it's not, too.

I guess I could book it and check the class/conditions then cancel? (You get a 24hrs free cancellation window in USA booked flights, by law... a very good law imho!)
#932872 by tontybear
20 Feb 2017, 01:40
Unless it's changed (highly improbable) after the website enhancement er disaster er improvements then you can't use VS miles to upgrade a DL booking even if the flight is operated by VS (and vice versa)
#932874 by narikin
20 Feb 2017, 02:16
Yes, indeed there is a PE K class ticket on VS website for effectively the same price, BUT... my point is: Delta say they are selling a W, a much better fare class with more miles, TP and upgrade options, for the same amount of $ - that's the point - is it really a W on VS or is that going to somehow mutate into a K once booked on Virgin's system?!

I suspect the latter, but am surprised how clearly Delta list it as a W...
#932875 by Hamster
20 Feb 2017, 02:30
Delta aren't selling a 'W' fare on the VS1/2, they are selling a 'W' fare on the DL4407/4380 - it's a codeshare flight so the rules of the ticketing airline are applicable.

On the DL booking page you can see the full fare rules in detail, but 'W' fares aren't listed under the Flying Club DL earning table... Might be worth a tweet to VS?
#932877 by gumshoe
20 Feb 2017, 06:03
As SlimpyJones said upthread, DL only has one PE booking class, W, so that's all it can sell you.

But it does not follow that by buying a W fare on a DL flight operated by VS, you are buying a VS W fare with the additional benefits that entails.

As tonty said, you can't use miles to upgrade a ticket that wasn't sold by VS.
#935102 by Vegascrazy
10 May 2017, 08:01
The whole thing seems to be a bit of a minefield, I always thought I was reasonably savvy at airline ticketing!

I still don't understand why, when VS sold me a ticket (a G) & then changed outbound flight to DL, it means I can no longer use miles to purchase a CDC, even though it was VS who moved me to DL. So now I've paid for my own CDC, will still use VS drive through at LHR.

The visibility of who my contract is with has also diminished, indeed the various schedule change notifications I've received in recent months have been from DL rather than VS. Yet I paid VS and have a VS 932 prefix ticket. I was also told by VS to call DL to book the LHR drive thorough.
#935103 by CommanderB
10 May 2017, 08:48
Vegascrazy wrote:The whole thing seems to be a bit of a minefield, I always thought I was reasonably savvy at airline ticketing!

I still don't understand why, when VS sold me a ticket (a G) & then changed outbound flight to DL, it means I can no longer use miles to purchase a CDC, even though it was VS who moved me to DL. So now I've paid for my own CDC, will still use VS drive through at LHR.

The visibility of who my contract is with has also diminished, indeed the various schedule change notifications I've received in recent months have been from DL rather than VS. Yet I paid VS and have a VS 932 prefix ticket. I was also told by VS to call DL to book the LHR drive thorough.

Since the merger with DL, it has become more difficult for sure!

I think the general consensus is because they are using the DL system, DL probably have more control than VS do which is why when these things happen, DL becomes more involved.

As for who the contract is with, it should be VS if you are on a VS932 ticket, they took the money - they are the marketing carrier. If the operating carrier changes - it SHOULDN'T change the contract... you should still be dealing with VS. Thats my take on it and certainly how it works with the likes of BA. Quite often you get agents who simply don't know, so they'll palm you off... I don't allow that to happen.
Virgin Atlantic