This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#933530 by PilotWolf
15 Mar 2017, 18:01
I'm a little out of the game as no flown transatlantic in over 5 years.

I have to travel back to the UK from LAX next week for a funeral. VA are quoting $2788 vs BA $786. i REALLY don't want to fly BA but with that difference I may not have a choice.

I tried a couple of websites and the figures are similar on all of them so not a glitch. Is this the norm now?

W.
#933531 by Florida White
15 Mar 2017, 18:05
Ive been looking too over the last few weeks and BA PE is around £500 cheaper and economy around £250. It pains me to say it but BA have the cheaper flights to the U.S at the moment. Holding in the hope of a sale or reduction to stay loyal but time running out to book.
#933534 by SlimpyJones
15 Mar 2017, 18:53
Likely VS have sold out of the cheaper fare buckets. BA take A380s to LAX so with greater capacity they are able to sell more seats at cheaper prices. I wouldn't say it's the norm or VS would be out of business.
#933535 by tontybear
15 Mar 2017, 19:07
sorry for your loss

I'd try DL and see what they are charging. They seem to be cheaper on some code shares than VS even when it's on VS metal!

DL do have a good product though so don't discount them
#933568 by PilotWolf
18 Mar 2017, 06:40
Well I ended up booking Aer Lingus via SkyScanner for $1020 round trip, unfortunately I was doing it in a rush at work and now have an overnight stop in Dublin on the return.

Still a significant savings on VA.

Thanks all.

W.
#933588 by lnf139
19 Mar 2017, 10:23
I had the same situation a couple months ago. BA MUCH cheaper than virgin. I waited it out a bit as id prefer not to go with BA and luckily virgins price dropped lower than BA so I went ahead and booked. I booked 6 months in advance...closer to the date though it may be a little risky to wait it out and hope
#933837 by PilotWolf
28 Mar 2017, 04:08
Kind of a trip report...

LAX - DUB was pretty rough regarding service and food. I had a 7 hr layover in DUB but when spoke to an agent they put me on the next flight to LHR free of charge. I didn't mention the funeral or anything as leverage - got to LHR 4 hrs earlier than expected.

On the return LGW - DUB was fine except the 2 women sat next to me talked constantly for nearly 2 hrs without a pause - think they depreciated the cabin oxygen levels! :) Spent a night in the Clayton Hotel - great service, clean room and good facilities. then DUB -LAX...

I'm a US citizen so per-clearance was very quick and simple - too quick and I found I couldn't then go to a lounge so sat at the gate for nearly 2 hrs :(

I only had carry on but also a package containing 2 very sentimental portraits of late family members. This fitted the overhead bin but 1 of the cabin crew noticed me fiddling. after a couple of suggestions to make sure it wasn't damaged she offered to put it in the crew wardrobe for safety and went out of her way to make sure I got it back before the doors were opened after landing. Not a huge thing but very significant to me.

Anyway back in LA now. Thanks Aer Lingus - overall a good experience.

W.
#933855 by cheesebag
28 Mar 2017, 12:54
I did EI to Toronto Via DUB last October, a few hours in the lounge each way and £1200 off for the both of us better than AC or BA... what's not to like!
Virgin Atlantic