For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#933540 by whiterose
15 Mar 2017, 22:39
This is probably a silly question with a crashingly obvious answer and if so, apologies.

If I want to book an American Airlines flight which is on AA metal and is not a Oneworld code share, can I use Avios to buy a reward seat, or can I only use Avios for code share AA/BA flights?

I've looked on the AA website and Head for Points but can't find the answer.
#933543 by whiterose
16 Mar 2017, 07:34
Maybe I should have given a little more detail.

To help my partially sighted husband (to his chagrin no longer in the first flush of youth) cope better with TATL visits to our son in NJ, we're looking now at daytime flights out and back. Virgin/Delta only do night flights back from NYC. No personal experience, but based on reviews, the new AA business offering seems better than BA CW.

We'll want to get new credit cards to get miles. All earn similar miles/spend, Avios offer better initial bonus than AAAdvantage, but we don't want to go for Avios if we can't use the miles for AA business flights.

We've seen on here so often that phoning the airline can elicit an inaccurate answer from an agent, V-Flyers are more reliable!
#933545 by slinky09
16 Mar 2017, 08:03
The VS26 still operates doesn't it? Departs JFK at 8 am daily.
#933546 by gumshoe
16 Mar 2017, 09:55
Yes the daytime VS flight is very much still operating.

But to answer the OP's question, yes you can use Avios to book reward seats on AA flights - you can do it on the BA website or app.

Although, checking a random Tuesday in October (when you'd expect plenty of availability) only Economy seats are available, none in Business. So it may be that AA save rewards in Business for their own AAdvantage members, I don't know.
#933550 by tontybear
16 Mar 2017, 11:43
AA have different levels of reward flights and only the cheapest one is available to BA and avios bookings and you can't access the more expensive (i.e. Need more miles) ones.

Btw I did the AA day time flight in January (yes I know I need to do a TR) and it was excellent.

Food and seat very good and much better than BA.

And whilst I still got jet lagged it wasn't as bad as a night flight.
#933551 by whiterose
16 Mar 2017, 13:03
tontybear wrote:AA have different levels of reward flights and only the cheapest one is available to BA and avios bookings and you can't access the more expensive (i.e. Need more miles) ones.

Btw I did the AA day time flight in January (yes I know I need to do a TR) and it was excellent.

Food and seat very good and much better than BA.

And whilst I still got jet lagged it wasn't as bad as a night flight.

Brilliant Tonty, exactly the information I needed. Look forward to the TR. Many thanks.
Virgin Atlantic