For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#933126 by julmops
27 Feb 2017, 11:10
Hi all,
We are booked on a return trip to NYC in January with Air France on a DL codeshare.
As I've never experienced AF long haul business, I'm not sure what to expect.
We will be on A321s for the short flights and on A380 on the way out and 772 on the way back.
Any musts ? Anything to avoid? Any better seats that others ? Anything else important to know ?
Many thanks in advance for your help.
Julmops
#933671 by mitchja
21 Mar 2017, 12:19
All I can say is that I booked one of those AF LHR>CDG A380 training flights a few years ago in J for about £125 return.

The seat itself seemed OK with plenty of leg room, no idea on what it's like in bed mode though sorry. It didn't look like the fully lie flat type of seat when in bed mode though, more like the old VS J2000 seat which sloped in bed mode, again though I didn't actually convert the seat so I cannot say for sure sorry?

The AF lounge at CDG was reasonable from what I remember.

The A380 IFE does have external cameras too (no idea if that is the same on their other A/C types).
#933673 by chocksaway
21 Mar 2017, 15:26
After volunteering our seats (albeit 8 yrs ago) on a delta flight from ATL to MAN in exchange for delta dollars we were put on an Air France flight (via CDG). Even though it was in economy, I can quite honestly say it was the nicest flight I have ever been on. The cabin crew, food, wine ect were great. Linen serviettes, proper cutlery, fresh baguettes served in a basket by the crew, these little touches made them stand out. They even offered nicotine patches to smokers!! I wouldn't worry at all, I'm sure you will have a great experience.

Enjoy!!
#933699 by pjh
22 Mar 2017, 19:13
chocksaway wrote:After volunteering our seats (albeit 8 yrs ago) on a delta flight from ATL to MAN in exchange for delta dollars we were put on an Air France flight (via CDG). Even though it was in economy, I can quite honestly say it was the nicest flight I have ever been on. The cabin crew, food, wine ect were great. Linen serviettes, proper cutlery, fresh baguettes served in a basket by the crew, these little touches made them stand out. They even offered nicotine patches to smokers!! I wouldn't worry at all, I'm sure you will have a great experience.

Enjoy!!

They clearly upped their game in a few years as in 2002 I flew with them and it was...awful. Screens at the front of the plane for IFE, chaotic boarding and utterly disinterested crew.
Virgin Atlantic