This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#934043 by CommanderB
03 Apr 2017, 12:53
I know VS canned the SYD route long ago.

But it looks like I may need a trip there this year and would like to find a way of doing it on VS, preferably earning miles & TPs for a chunk (or all) of the journey.

I am looking at taking VS to HKG and then transferring there.. Unfortunately VS don't interline with CX which sucks as that seemed a good option.

Any suggestions?
#934044 by honey lamb
03 Apr 2017, 13:07
VS to LAX followed by Virgin Australia to Sydney
#934045 by SlimpyJones
03 Apr 2017, 13:20
Another option is taking SQ via SIN. Not Virgin metal admittedly but you'd earn miles and TPs, plus it's bookable on the VS website (only Y and J, if you want PE or F you'd need to go through SQ).

I'd be interested to know if the VS -> LAX -> VA plan works as I've never been able to book this as one ticket.
#934047 by CommanderB
03 Apr 2017, 14:37
SlimpyJones wrote:Another option is taking SQ via SIN. Not Virgin metal admittedly but you'd earn miles and TPs, plus it's bookable on the VS website (only Y and J, if you want PE or F you'd need to go through SQ).

I'd be interested to know if the VS -> LAX -> VA plan works as I've never been able to book this as one ticket.

SQ earns significantly less TPs & miles which sucks.

Via LAX seemed promising, but I tried to get that up on the various travel websites and none of them will do it. I wonder why..?
#934048 by SlimpyJones
03 Apr 2017, 14:45
Yeah, it's not much unless you're rocking First class!

I've wondered why re: LAX as well. Only thing I can think of with that is booking the LHR<->LAX and LAX<->SYD trips separately...

Or you could try calling the contact centre to see if they'll price it up as one itinerary?
#934057 by ColOrd
03 Apr 2017, 15:38
In my experience - anything involving TransPac with Virgin Australia is stupidly, and prohibitively expensive, unless I am searching wrong!
#934061 by Martin
03 Apr 2017, 18:26
CommanderB wrote:I know VS canned the SYD route long ago.

But it looks like I may need a trip there this year and would like to find a way of doing it on VS, preferably earning miles & TPs for a chunk (or all) of the journey.

I am looking at taking VS to HKG and then transferring there.. Unfortunately VS don't interline with CX which sucks as that seemed a good option.

Any suggestions?

I tried to do something similar on VS metal via HKG on VS on my way to Brisbane a couple of months ago. The VS hotline said there was nothing apart from booking with VS on SQ metal and flying through Singapore. I don't think VS care much about people flying east these days.

It was way more expensive to book on the Virgin site, so I booked direct with SQ. I got 350 TP each way on a J class ticket.

It's not much help I appreciate, but it worked for me. The Business class experience on SQ was very good.
#935105 by CommanderB
10 May 2017, 08:53
Via SIN with SQ does seem to be the prevailing option here.

I researched a bit more and found that miles for PE on SQ is 100% which is good (no gold bonus, but still). And TPs are currently the same as Economy, although there is no mention of PE TPs on the VS Website. I spoke to the Facebook team to confirm and they said PE gets the same as Y. I asked them to raise an improvement to have the website clarify this and a cheeky request of 75 TPs for PE on SQ which I think is fair ;-) Lets see what happens (probably nothing).
#935108 by spacedog
10 May 2017, 11:44
I can confirm that despite no mention of PE earning with SQ on the VS website, you do get 100% of the miles but only Y TP. I would love it if they increased that as we usually fly to SIN in PE (I did a TR about the experience about 18 months ago). However, like you, I am not holding my breath!
Virgin Atlantic