This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#934317 by starquake
11 Apr 2017, 18:20
Just had a flight (on VS in Y) - LAS-LGW, where entire flight had no IFE (okay some got a tablet, but not entire flight, and none of my party).

This following a particularly poor outbound leg for many reasons - but mostly disruptive other passengers, which admittedly is outside's VS's control. One spilled an entire bottle of red wine on me as one example.... crew did provide wipes which have helped a bit, but theres still a stain. The outbound staff at Gatwick were excellent though (on ground) allowing us to get entire way to gate without "our" stag knowing where his stag party though - and this did offset much of the outbound problems.

On the flight back - All on flight got a standard letter offering 6000 miles in Y, but given the IFE problem caused many peoples screens to be on ALL flight including mine at super bright levels, it somewhat stopped sleep on a return for all of us - I did sleep an hour, but had nothing but my phone for music for the rest of flight.

Should we (this is a group of 11) press for more compensation, or just take the miles, given ~50% are not FC members and have no use for miles) - as it severely impacted our flight back. Overall the flight crew were great (mentioning no names - one said themselves to not take the miles on offer as it was a poor experience and really really unusual as in they'd never had similar in 4 years). Whats the thoughts?

Hopefully a better experience in MCO in November (in PE) with the wife!
#934324 by Neil
12 Apr 2017, 00:13
If you didn't take the miles, what would you propose to be a more adequate form of compensation?
#934325 by starquake
12 Apr 2017, 00:28
Givens 50% of the group are non FC members and unlikely to fly again on virgin without compensation I would personally believe 25-50% off next booking would be appropriate, or cash voucher so for future vs...

The miles earnt from compensation and the flight represent 50% of a a Y redemption offpeak. as that's 250 plus 20k miles I bet they'd be happy with gbp 100-150 off a future vs flight each. The bigger issue is getting that many people on a flight direct from VS at a decent rate in future to use as unless such compensation dished out individually it's likely useless to all. This entire trip was via travel agent as vs group line was 300 more pp than a travel agent.

Personally I'll be taking the miles as I can use them. It's just feel a bit sorry for one of the lads who was on his first transatlantic flight ever in his 50s ( it took some convincing to get him on the plane in first place ) and first long haul ( and obviously can't use miles ). He loved the trip, just not the last leg, and it has put him off flying long haul again.

^ is what we'll probably be requesting over next week from vs. Be interesting their response.
#934327 by Neil
12 Apr 2017, 03:20
I'll be amazed if you're offered anything else. VS have fulfilled their contract with you by getting you from a to b and I've never heard of money being offered due to IFE not working. Yes it's unfortunate but not part of their agreement with VS and given they are clearly Infrequent long haul / VS pax then VS have no loyalty obligation to compensate them either.
#934329 by gumshoe
12 Apr 2017, 04:45
6,000 miles seems to be the standard redress for broken IFE; that's what a friend of mine got a few weeks back.

Seems reasonable to me - if you were to buy them they'd cost at least £60.
#934330 by tontybear
12 Apr 2017, 05:04
I'm sorry but you have no chance of getting anything like this.

Their 'cash' offer for failed ife is usually a £20 voucher to be used on duty free on the flight but that's not an option when it's more than just a few people that's affected.

And that's what VS likely will offer each member of your party on an individual basis - a £20 credit to be used on a future flight that would have to be booked direct with VS or the 6k miles

And it is awarded to each individual - they won't give you the miles or credit that would have gone to your mate who dosen't have an FC account.
#934350 by DocRo
12 Apr 2017, 18:50
Always a good plan to travel with a few hours worth of movies, TV or good audio books or kindle as a back up. Can put the hours in nicely
#934374 by pjh
13 Apr 2017, 11:46
DocRo wrote:Always a good plan to travel with a few hours worth of movies, TV or good audio books or kindle as a back up. Can put the hours in nicely

Being old fashioned, I tend to favour the ultimate back up entertainment- a book. :)
#934375 by LucyLu
13 Apr 2017, 11:53
I was given £50 in VS vouchers when they messed up on pre-booked champagne onboard as a surprise for my OH's birthday, so you might get more than £20. It was a right pain redeeming them though as I got different info from 3 different customer service people about what to do with them and it ended up with me losing out on free sports baggage (dive gear) because the mis-information meant my flight wasn't confirmed until after the date the change to baggage allowances was made. Wasn't a big deal in the end, but still annoying.
#934378 by ColOrd
13 Apr 2017, 11:57
pjh wrote:Being old fashioned, I tend to favour the ultimate back up entertainment- a book. :)

Yes, I have to admit that I too like the old "skool" way of doing things and turning a page and the smell of the paper!!
#934384 by DocRo
13 Apr 2017, 15:08
ColOrd wrote:
pjh wrote:Being old fashioned, I tend to favour the ultimate back up entertainment- a book. :)

Yes, I have to admit that I too like the old "skool" way of doing things and turning a page and the smell of the paper!!

I believe Vinyl and TB are making a comeback too
#934387 by pjh
13 Apr 2017, 17:45
DocRo wrote:
ColOrd wrote:

I believe Vinyl and TB are making a comeback too

:)

Leaving aside the facts that a book doesn't need power, doesn't need to be taken out at security, can be sat on with little harm ensuing and will survive being dropped on a sandy beach, reading large amounts of text on a screen just feels wrong - like making coffee in a microwave.
#934392 by whiterose
13 Apr 2017, 21:17
But oh, the pain of taking a big thick tome on holiday and then finding you really don't like it! At least with a Kindle there's always another. And another. And another.
#934422 by s2driveruk
15 Apr 2017, 08:26
Had the same problem on Monday evening's Bos-Lhr flight. We were offered tablet or 8k miles. However despite my FC details being taken, not seen the miles show up so far. It was on and off on the outbound flight too which were both A333's.

Any idea how long they take to get credited and how they are tagged?
#934423 by ColOrd
15 Apr 2017, 08:52
I had the same issue as you s2driveruk I had 20k of compo miles after a malfunctioning IFE AND a UC Bed that wouldn't convert to a bed promised to me.by the FSM.

About a fortnight after the flight with no miles posted I rang VS Customer Relations and they added them there and then without any quibble or complaint.
Virgin Atlantic