For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#937544 by joeyc
15 Aug 2017, 23:10
Hi all,

To set the scene; my best mate is moving to Australia to start anew for himself away from the trials and tribulations of his life in England and he departs next week.

Sadly due to work constraints and prior unbreakable commitments I will not be able to see him before he flies off into the sunset (on Malaysian Airlines - wish him luck)

He'll be departing from T4 next Wednesday, is there anywhere that we could meet for one last beer before security in the airport or near to the airport that any could recommend?

Also is there any advice I could pass on for his emigration to Australia?

Thanks all...

Joey :cool:
#937549 by tontybear
16 Aug 2017, 00:33
The only tip on I can give for his arrival is to dump any food items - including water - he may have collected from meals on the plane and be honest on the arrival form with any food related items he may have in his checked bags! Australian Customs officers are hot on this and they would rather people say they had stuff (even if legal) and say no and then have them find it and then fine you.

It's been ages since I've been to T4. Maybe have a look on the T4 map on theHAL website.
#937612 by chumba
18 Aug 2017, 09:26
I flew out of T4 last week for the first time in about 15 years. I have to say its a horrible terminal and not many facilities pre or post security.

As far as I can remember pre security there was a coffee shop and a French named bar/restaurant. We didn't use it so cant comment ion it.

We went straight through security and even then there was only one bar and one costa. There were some other smaller food places, but most of the terminal was shopping.
#937676 by CHill710
21 Aug 2017, 16:04
I think there is a weatherspoons or similar on the top level of T4 near to the AF/KL check in area. Other than that T4 is connected to a Hilton and a premier inn not much more in the area.
#937679 by chriski
21 Aug 2017, 17:10
Wetherspoons is a bit grim but OK for a beer

The Hilton is nice but expensive, have not been to the new Premier inn but similar distance to Hilton ( both connected by walkway direct from terminal.
#937716 by joeyc
22 Aug 2017, 17:45
Thanks for the tips all, we've decided to try to make a meeting at a pub nearby work (there are several) and then I will give him and his luggage a lift to the terminal.

T4 does look a bit grim from what I have seen online. I have clearly been spoiled by T5 and the VS wing and lounge at T3.
Virgin Atlantic