This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#938089 by KauriTree
05 Sep 2017, 13:01
I have travelled VS with work for a few years now and I have managed to accumulate 300,000 airmiles.

What would you recommend I spend the airmiles on? I was thinking of trip for two to NYC in Upper Class, but happy to hear your suggestions.

Cheers
#938090 by mdhayes
05 Sep 2017, 13:12
where you want to go is surely the question, if you want to go to NYC then great, availability is generally good in UC if you are flexible. I loved NY and its well worth a trip, why not to a 2 centre trip, fly into one city and finish somewhere else virgin serves and get a reward flight home from there. Flexibility is the key, if you can be flexible on dates and to a point locations then you'll find those miles very easy to spend.
#938092 by KauriTree
05 Sep 2017, 13:50
The East Coast is our best bet as we have two children under 5 who will be staying with their Grandparents while we're on our short break.

Being flexible on dates seems to be the best way forward to ensure we have enough availability.
#938094 by CommanderB
05 Sep 2017, 14:26
Believe me, you can do a short break anywhere.... (although this is coming from someone who thinks its ok to to a back to back on HKG, LAX, PVG ;-) )

NYC has good availability for rewards. But its all about where you want to go. DXB is another option if you want somewhere hot & beachlike.
#938097 by PeterStansfield
05 Sep 2017, 16:30
Everyone has their own philosophy on points, but most people agree that in 'value for money' redeeming in UC (or other airline premier cabins) is best

Some people try and be flexible, I plan as far ahead as I can, so that I'm 'waiting' for each leg to become available, sometimes even sitting at my computer for the daily release. That way I've NEVER not got the exact dates, routes, classes, and seats that I actually want!

But everyone's different....

Peter
#938122 by dickydotcom
06 Sep 2017, 12:45
I'm with Peter here.
Best use is Upper Class reward tickets.
Best time to get them is 6 a.m. on the day they are issued.
Since there is no certainty when that will be it means lot's of checking from the day the flight is first opened until reward seats show themselves.
A bit of flexibility helps. Next year we are flying to MCO again and reward Upper seats for our return became available on the Sunday, but nothing on the Saturday so we will have an over night stop on the drive down from South Carolina and add a day to our holiday.
Dick D
Virgin Atlantic