This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#938126 by Lucydog
06 Sep 2017, 15:01
I know we have chatted about this a little while ago, But with all the new changes with Virgin/Delta etc and now all the big changes about to commence up at Manchester airport, Do you think we now have a chance of getting a twice or daily flight over to Tampa maybe with a A330. Manchester airport will be smarter and should encourage more business opportunities. I have felt the north of Birmingham do get a rough deal on some of the popular routes, not just business routes, but holiday routes. I love the Gulf coast side of the U.S.A. and Tampa would be a great airport to fly into. I know friends whom after travelling to Tampa from London, love this route and have said we would love using it. If we don't use this route I am sure one of the other airlines will snap it up. Maybe we will get a L.A.X. route also. Come on Virgin this is your chance. :-D
#938133 by stevebrass
06 Sep 2017, 17:15
Yes Man to Tampa would be great. We too love the gulf coast. It all depends if each airport has slots available and then of course an appraisal by airlines as to whether the route would make money.
#938154 by horburyflyer
07 Sep 2017, 05:31
A big thumbs up from me too. I have used VS to ATL and DL down to TPA a few times (along with quite a few other pax) so suspect demand is there. I wouldn't be surprised though to see TCX get in first! I'm not sure VS have any spare capacity in the fleet to accommodate any short to medium new route developments sadly.

Jon
#938158 by gumshoe
07 Sep 2017, 08:08
Sorry to disagree but I don't think it would work for VS.

Tampa attracts a different type of tourist to Orlando - typically older, more affluent couples rather than families - and that market's already adequately served by BA's direct flight. I'm not convinced there's enough demand for a second, certainly year-round.
#938165 by mitchja
07 Sep 2017, 09:48
I also cannot see this working either. There’s often good deals with VS from MAN to TPA via ATL.

Last time I was looking at this, it was cheaper to fly to TPA via ATL than direct to MCO in J.
#938167 by stevebrass
07 Sep 2017, 10:38
gumshoe wrote:Sorry to disagree but I don't think it would work for VS.

Tampa attracts a different type of tourist to Orlando - typically older, more affluent couples rather than families - and that market's already adequately served by BA's direct flight. I'm not convinced there's enough demand for a second, certainly year-round.

Yes well they are quite a few older affluent couples who don't fancy the drive to LHR/LGW.

A direct flight MAN to Tampa would be much appreciated. I suspect there is unmet demand.
#938205 by VS075
08 Sep 2017, 08:57
If a MAN-TPA flight started any time soon, I fully expect this to be operated by Thomas Cook. They've launched a plethora of US routes from MAN in recent years and are launching MAN-SEA next year. Indeed, rumours elsewhere have suggested MAN-TPA is a route they've been looking at for a while, so from my perspective it's a matter of "when", not "if".

I think a TPA route, whoever it's operated by, could work. Some people may not like the idea of a 90-120min drive to the Tampa/Clearwater/St Pete area from MCO (I've done that a couple of times now) and it opens up multi-centre fly-drive options for customers, as well as acting as an alternative entry point for the Orlando area. The Gulf Coast is also a nice part of Florida to holiday in and is more laid back than the Orlando area, but obviously not as laid back as the Keys!

I can't see VS opening such a route from MAN unless it started elsewhere first such as from LGW. I suppose VS and DL have the data to see how many UK passengers fly to TPA using VS/DL connecting at the likes of ATL to determine whether a direct flight would work. Virgin Holidays probably have data as well on how many customers book holidays involving stays in the Tampa Bay/Gulf Coast areas and whether it's as part of an add-on to an Orlando area holiday or elsewhere/individually.
Virgin Atlantic