This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#938132 by slinky09
06 Sep 2017, 17:11
The current best projection by the US Hurricane Center is for Irma to hit Miami directly then travel up the east coast of Florida so even Orlando will get some effect. Having seen pictures of Anguilla and St Maarten I think I would be worried now if I were in its path.

Screen Shot 2017-09-06 at 17.08.11.png
Screen Shot 2017-09-06 at 17.08.11.png (504.47 KiB) Viewed 16252 times
#938141 by Kraken
06 Sep 2017, 21:35
I was due to fly home from MCO on Monday when Irma is due to be wreaking havoc in the Orlando area (as per the Hurricane Center chart Slinky has posted above).

Was looking at all sorts of options to avoid Irma (all indirect) as nothing was showing as available direct for using miles in any class as I am booked on a G fare. Phoned Virgin and after a 10min wait got through to the UK call centre (was definitely a Welsh accent)... result is a revenue Upper Class seat was flipped to a G fare and I'm flying home on Saturday night on the direct flight to MAN.

Well done Virgin! A letter will go to Crawley Towers on my return thanking both the young lady I spoke to in Swansea & also Virgin for putting fare rules out of the window when travel disruption is expected.
#938144 by horburyflyer
06 Sep 2017, 22:23
Kraken wrote:I was due to fly home from MCO on Monday when Irma is due to be wreaking havoc in the Orlando area (as per the Hurricane Center chart Slinky has posted above).

Was looking at all sorts of options to avoid Irma (all indirect) as nothing was showing as available direct for using miles in any class as I am booked on a G fare. Phoned Virgin and after a 10min wait got through to the UK call centre (was definitely a Welsh accent)... result is a revenue Upper Class seat was flipped to a G fare and I'm flying home on Saturday night on the direct flight to MAN.

Well done Virgin! A letter will go to Crawley Towers on my return thanking both the young lady I spoke to in Swansea & also Virgin for putting fare rules out of the window when travel disruption is expected.

That is great news and well done VS. I'm flying home on Friday evening to MAN. My Florida friends are preparing for the worst and we'll all hoping for the best.
#938156 by gumshoe
07 Sep 2017, 06:39
Orlando Airport will close at 5pm on Saturday until further notice.

As the Virgin flights are scheduled to leave after that anyone booked on them would be wise to check for a new departure time.
#938168 by dangeswar
07 Sep 2017, 11:34
I am scheduled to fly in V515 London-Orlando (landing at Orlando @ 3.30) (this Saturday)
I received a SMS from Virgin advising not to travel on 9th and 10th and recommending to reschedule.

Just noticed that FCO had advised to follow evacuation procedures.

My big concern is if my insurance will cover the cancellation costs.
I had booked through Expedia - will call them tomorrow to discuss what the options are....
#938169 by cheesebag
07 Sep 2017, 12:46
My son is due to fly back Sunday night from MCO to MAN with TCX.... I'll message him to see what they are saying
#938174 by Kraken
07 Sep 2017, 15:17
I've just spoken to the VS call centre again. Needless to say nothing is available to get home to MAN today or tomorrow direct. Indirect not an option as all the internal flights are fully booked.

The rep did say that at the moment no Virgin flights are cancelled. I mentioned MCO closing at 5pm on Saturday & she said there may be schedule changes to send the flights out early so they can be turned around & out by 5pm (she was unaware of the MCO closure).

VS have all my contact details as they have been sending me emails & texts about possible disruption. I've sent them the "Away from home" info they asked for too (basically the same info). Will see what happens - but I am keeping my mobile with me at all times!
#938176 by marshy11
07 Sep 2017, 16:10
Kraken wrote:I've just spoken to the VS call centre again. Needless to say nothing is available to get home to MAN today or tomorrow direct. Indirect not an option as all the internal flights are fully booked.

The rep did say that at the moment no Virgin flights are cancelled. I mentioned MCO closing at 5pm on Saturday & she said there may be schedule changes to send the flights out early so they can be turned around & out by 5pm (she was unaware of the MCO closure).

VS have all my contact details as they have been sending me emails & texts about possible disruption. I've sent them the "Away from home" info they asked for too (basically the same info). Will see what happens - but I am keeping my mobile with me at all times!

Best of luck getting sorted. It seems other sites are reporting confusion on the closure.

https://www.clickorlando.com/weather/or ... ue-to-irma

It may be worth subscribing to their twitter feed. Seems the 5pm statement was premature.

https://twitter.com/MCO?ref_src=twsrc%5 ... ue-to-irma
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-09-07 at 16.39.11.png
Screen Shot 2017-09-07 at 16.39.11.png (79.35 KiB) Viewed 15846 times
#938193 by Kraken
07 Sep 2017, 23:00
The confusion continues... I have seen a screenshot of the @MCO twitter (official Orlando Airport one) feed from about 45mins ago local time stating that they will cease operations at 5pm on Saturday.

As of about 90secs ago, the airport homepage has no mention of any closure - just the "we are operating normally, check with your airline before traveling to the airport".

Where I am staying the parking lot is filing up. It's a large resort and a few of the cars I've clocked with people unloading lots of stuff have licence plate holders with dealership names / locations along the Florida coast. In some ways this is reassuring as Florida residents see Orlando as being suitably inland to be relatively safe compared to on the coast.

I'm hoping Virgin can operate some flights earlier on Saturday & that mine may be one of then.. but to be honest I think I'm going to have to sit this one out and hope for the best. Could be interesting.
#938195 by hiljil
08 Sep 2017, 04:17
Wishing you all the very best, Kraken. Hope all goes well .
#938210 by catsilversword
08 Sep 2017, 11:17
We're due to be in Florida next month (Rotomda area), but it's looking quite possible that our rental could be damaged, or even flattened. I guess the owners would refund the rental cost if that happened, I know, it sounds obvious...

That aside though, I feel for those out there at the moment. We were out there during a hurricane many years ago - obviously nothing like Irma - and it was very scary.

Just hoping people can stay safe.
#938213 by clarkeysntfc
08 Sep 2017, 11:39
LetThereBeFlight wrote:According to the VS website, tomorrow's 15, 27, 71 and 75 are all cancelled. Interestingly, the 73 is still showing as scheduled.

They are probably ferrying the aircraft out empty so flight is "cancelled" to passengers.
#938214 by LetThereBeFlight
08 Sep 2017, 12:00
clarkeysntfc wrote:
LetThereBeFlight wrote:According to the VS website, tomorrow's 15, 27, 71 and 75 are all cancelled. Interestingly, the 73 is still showing as scheduled.

They are probably ferrying the aircraft out empty so flight is "cancelled" to passengers.

The 73 is now showing as 'cancelled' too (as, unsurprisingly, is the 5) I wonder how many of these aircraft will fly out empty to bring people home?
#938218 by mitchja
08 Sep 2017, 12:45
From VS Trade:

Virgin Atlantic VSbulletin 013- UPDATE Adverse Weather Disruption- Hurricane Irma

Following on from previous updates on Hurricane Irma we need to let you know that any customers travelling to, from or through affected cities between 5 September and 17 September will have the option to re-book to a later date or re-route.

The following flights have been cancelled as of 10:00 8 September 2017:

Saturday 9 September 2017

Flight Number Route

VS27 LGW-MCO

VS15 LGW-MCO

VS73 MAN-MCO

VS75 MAN-MCO

VS71 GLA-MCO

VS72 MCO-GLA

VS74 MCO-MAN

Sunday 10 September 2017

VS27 LGW-MCO

VS75 MAN-MCO

VS71 GLA-MCO

VS16 MCO-LGW

VS28 MCO-LGW

VS76 MCO-MAN

For all further announcements and policy changes on Hurricane Irma please visit the following websites:
#938222 by catsilversword
08 Sep 2017, 15:16
virginboy747 wrote:3 empty aircraft leaving LGW and MAN tomorrow to operate himevthe 16 28 and 76

How do you manage to find out that kind of info?!
#938230 by honey lamb
08 Sep 2017, 19:38
catsilversword wrote:
virginboy747 wrote:3 empty aircraft leaving LGW and MAN tomorrow to operate himevthe 16 28 and 76

catsilversword, you are putting virginboy747 in a difficult position by asking that question. He is not obliged to answer that question and if he does he potentially puts himself in jeopardy. Just accept that he regularly posts accurate information most of which is in, or about to be in the public arena.
#938231 by catsilversword
08 Sep 2017, 20:19
honey lamb wrote:
catsilversword wrote:

catsilversword, you are putting virginboy747 in a difficult position by asking that question. He is not obliged to answer that question and if he does he potentially puts himself in jeopardy. Just accept that he regularly posts accurate information most of which is in, or about to be in the public arena.

Didnt mean to pry, just curious.....
#938234 by Leanne
08 Sep 2017, 21:27
We were due to go to Antigua next weekend. Galley Bay has suffered a fair bit of damage so aren't accepting guests until they have a full assessment on the 21st September. Virgin holidays have been brilliant. We have moved our Antigua holiday till May 2018 and have booked to go to Dubai as a interim break.

Really hope those in Florida can return home. Safe travels all.
Virgin Atlantic