This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#938194 by Kraken
07 Sep 2017, 23:19
Has anyone on here had any experience of claiming flight disruption expenses from Virgin?

Am in Florida & was originally meant to fly home on Mon 11th. Bought this forward to Sat 9th, but it look like this won't happen so I'll be claiming expenses from Virgin.

Thankfully, the accommodation is booked & paid for until Monday & the resort say it will be no problem to stay on longer if need be. Here's the problem, it's not a budget / "no frills" resort - accommodation of this type may be available come Tuesday but no guarantees. If you claim for more luxurious accommodation, do Virgin just pay a set "no frills" cost per night, say $50?

Food - have bought in food and water, but there is also alcohol on the receipt. Assume it's OK just to highlight the items on the receipt you are using for breakfast, snack & main meal + soft drinks and only claim for those? As I have self-catering facilities (subject to power being available) this is saving Virgin money.

I have claimed EU261 delay payment from Virgin in the past and this was very straightforward. They had no wriggle-room, it was a 3h55m delay on a MCO flight... shame it was not 6mins longer delay actually as that would have triggered the higher payment!
#938197 by marshy11
08 Sep 2017, 07:18
I don't personally and I'm sure you've read their latest update. It does include what is claimable and how to do it.

http://www.virginatlantic.com/gb/en/tra ... ordParent1
#938224 by tontybear
08 Sep 2017, 15:54
marshy11 wrote:I don't personally and I'm sure you've read their latest update. It does include what is claimable and how to do it.

http://www.virginatlantic.com/gb/en/tra ... ordParent1

I read that - very interesting - but I think VS are on doggy ground when it specifies what sort of hotel it is willing to pay for under EU261 provisions

The duty of care article states 'free'. There is no 'resonable' wording in it either - though people should be epected not to take the mickey.

If you are already staying in a hotel / villa / B&B then it is safer to stay there even if it may cost more than the class VS says it will pay for. Also it is sometimes impossible to find 'no frills' rooms especially when there is mass disruption.
#938226 by Janeclar
08 Sep 2017, 16:41
We were delayed for approximately 10 days after the Icelandic volcano. We were staying in a villa 160 miles from Orlando.
Virgin Atlantic were absolutely dreadful - not answering phones, no information and no assistance. We made the decision to stay in the villa and keep the hire car. This was cheaper than public transport to Orlando! Like you, we had supermarket receipts including alcohol!!
On our return I submitted a claim and was only paid for the villa and some of the food. As Virgin refused to pay the rest of the claim, I took them to Moneyclaim Online and was immediately paid the rest! On this occasion quite a few other people had to commence court proceedings to get paid in full!!
#938227 by Hev60
08 Sep 2017, 17:06
tontybear wrote:I read that - very interesting - but I think VS are on doggy ground when it specifies what sort of hotel it is willing to pay for under EU261 provisions

The duty of care article states 'free'. There is no 'resonable' wording in it either - though people should be epected not to take the mickey.

If you are already staying in a hotel / villa / B&B then it is safer to stay there even if it may cost more than the class VS says it will pay for. Also it is sometimes impossible to find 'no frills' rooms especially when there is mass disruption.

Not on the same scale as this sad scale of disruption but we had experience about 10years of the VS offer hotel accommodation.

We had been in LV fir 5 days staying at the 5* Bellagio. Got to the airport to be told delays expected due to technical fault. Finally at just after midnight VS announce we would be staying for another night and we're bussing us passengers to the CircusCircus and the Stratosphere :-O

We refused the accommodation and wrangled fir weeks after with VS for compensation which eventually came in the form of airmiles because they considered the hotels were suitable.
Of course this was the case but I hoped to negotiate a compromise paying the difference.

Like I said not the same circumstances but surely VS cannot dictate where you have to stay or what you eat.
#938228 by Hev60
08 Sep 2017, 17:13
tontybear wrote:I read that - very interesting - but I think VS are on doggy ground when it specifies what sort of hotel it is willing to pay for under EU261 provisions

Not on the same level as this sad scale of disruption but we had experience about 10years of the VS offer of hotel accommodation.

We had been in LV for 5 days staying at the 5* Bellagio. Got to the airport to be told delays were expected due to technical fault on the aircraft. Finally at just after midnight VS announce flight cancelled and would be staying for another night and they began bussing us passengers to the CircusCircus and the Stratosphere :-O

We refused the accommodation and went back to the Bellagio. We wrangled for weeks after with VS for compensation which eventually came in the form of airmiles because they considered the hotels offered were suitable. Of course in their eyes this was the case but I hoped to negotiate a compromise paying the difference.

Like I said not the same circumstances but surely VS cannot dictate where you have to stay or what you eat.

Best of luck Kraken and to all you poor people stranded in Florida.
#938229 by gumshoe
08 Sep 2017, 17:41
Hev60 wrote:surely VS cannot dictate where you have to stay or what you eat.

If they're paying yes, I imagine they think they can. Otherwise everyone would be booking the most expensive hotels and dining at Michelin starred restaurants at their expense.

Whether they'd be prepared to test it in court is another matter. More than likely they'd cave in if you put in a MCOL claim, for fear of losing in court and setting a precedent.
#938273 by Eggtastico
10 Sep 2017, 08:53
Hev60 wrote:
tontybear wrote:Like I said not the same circumstances but surely VS cannot dictate where you have to stay or what you eat.

Best of luck Kraken and to all you poor people stranded in Florida.

Maybe not, but I am sure you are obliged to limit the spending & not take the p155.
While they say it is their assessment of what is reasonable, does not mean it is yours.

Also, I would seek what local advice is.
If it is stay indoors & stayput - I think that is a very strong argument not to check out & check in elsewhere.

I guess as there is no tried & tested court case, chances are Virgin would pay out & not to rock the boat to what potentially could become a case law & potentially cost them a lot more in the future (after all, how many people stay in a budget motel on their holiday?)
#938288 by spiceke
10 Sep 2017, 17:38
We are out in Florda now, and were also caught by the ash cloud in 2010 - also here for hurrican Charlie -guess I am just lucky !

in 2010 we claimed from VS and they paid for our villa additional days. Also paid for all restaurant meals excluding alcohol.

ISTR that there were certain bits held back, but a few months later I got an email saying VS had lost a court case and had to reimburse me the rest.

We flew BA this time and it is in the middle of our holiday so no claims this time I assume.
#938302 by PilotWolf
11 Sep 2017, 08:09
Playing Devil's Advocate here but...

If you originally planned to stay until the 11th anyway but chose to change your flight (presumably because of the weather), are you actually being disrupted?

The accommodation is available still, presumably as you'd booked it to that date and intended to pay for it anyway should VA be liable for it? Likewise you would have been paying for food and drink for those days if you'd stuck to your original itinerary.

OK, after your booked flight date fair enough and for the record I understand not wanting to stay!

Reasonable expenses are surely relative? If you're the royal family I would suggest what is reasonable differs from the bucket and spade brigade. Aim for 25% above what you'd be happy with - you might win or you might just be happy...

W

PS If I'd just been through what the East coast is getting I'd consider that alcohol was a perfectly reasonable expense!! :)
Virgin Atlantic