#938173 by gilly
07 Sep 2017, 15:14
We are flying to Kota Kinabalu via HKG (and back via KUL) and have booked First as prices were so amazingly good, really very little more than Club.

Never having flown First on any airline, much less ex T5, can anyone tell me what to expect? Especially at LHR.

Thank you from a very excited traveller.
#938175 by Hev60
07 Sep 2017, 16:04
Think that sounds pretty awesome ;-)

Don't know where you live Gilly or your flight times, but whenever we fly BA out of T5 then we always stay overnight at the Sofitel. Brilliant way start to your adventure. Hev
#938177 by marshy11
07 Sep 2017, 16:21
We are taking our first First out of T5 in 2 months time. I've read practically every trip report, online blog and various FT threads. I can't wait as we've got the 8 seat cabin on the outward journey.

You can prebook the Elemis spa for your complimentary therapy from 28 days. https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/in ... travel-spa

Obviously you get access to your MMB and can select your seats straight away. Meals are pre bookable for certain destinations.

You will get the new T5 wing experience (not quite DTCI) but it looks pretty swish. https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/bu ... first-wing Galleries First or Concorde Room https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/in ... st-lounges plenty of reviews of both online.

As above, book yourself into the Sofitel and start the holiday from there.

When do you go?
#938178 by gilly
07 Sep 2017, 17:16
marshy11 wrote:We are taking our first First out of T5 in 2 months time. I've read practically every trip report, online blog and various FT threads. I can't wait as we've got the 8 seat cabin on the outward journey.

You can prebook the Elemis spa for your complimentary therapy from 28 days. https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/in ... travel-spa

Obviously you get access to your MMB and can select your seats straight away. Meals are pre bookable for certain destinations.

You will get the new T5 wing experience (not quite DTCI) but it looks pretty swish. https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/bu ... first-wing Galleries First or Concorde Room https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/in ... st-lounges plenty of reviews of both online.

When do you go?

We go in January. Our flight isn't until 18.25 so my husband says we don't need to stay at the Sofitel this time, though we normally do. But I am working on him, as at that time of year, we all know there may be problems. I assume they'll let us into the lounge nice and early?

We have the 8 seat cabin on the return from KUL, but are going out to HKG on a 380. For osme reason we were allocated the two middle seats both ways - I soon changed those! Can't seem to access booking my meal (veggie) possibly because we have booked with BA Holidays and haven't paid the balance yet.

I hope you'll do a trip report that I can drool over and keep me going.
#938179 by gilly
07 Sep 2017, 17:19
Hev60 wrote:Think that sounds pretty awesome ;-)

Don't know where you live Gilly or your flight times, but whenever we fly BA out of T5 then we always stay overnight at the Sofitel. Brilliant way start to your adventure. Hev

Thnaks Hev. Flight is 18.25 so my husband says no need, but I am working on it! We always stay there when flying from T5.
#938180 by marshy11
07 Sep 2017, 18:00
gilly wrote:
marshy11 wrote:We are taking our first First out of T5 in 2 months time. I've read practically every trip report, online blog and various FT threads. I can't wait as we've got the 8 seat cabin on the outward journey.

When do you go?

We go in January. Our flight isn't until 18.25 so my husband says we don't need to stay at the Sofitel this time, though we normally do. But I am working on him, as at that time of year, we all know there may be problems. I assume they'll let us into the lounge nice and early?

We have the 8 seat cabin on the return from KUL, but are going out to HKG on a 380. For osme reason we were allocated the two middle seats both ways - I soon changed those! Can't seem to access booking my meal (veggie) possibly because we have booked with BA Holidays and haven't paid the balance yet.

I hope you'll do a trip report that I can drool over and keep me going.

I have just checked my booking and the email for the meal says I can book 30 days to 24 hours before, so you will be fine.

We've opted for middle seats out and window seats back, purely to sample both! We've got a second-First booked for April so will change to what we prefer on this flight later on.

18:25 - coming that day well, that's cutting it fine :cool: I would definitely say you need to be there the night before. A leisurely breakfast, walk around duty free and turf up at ALL of the lounges you can access. Why not!

We don't get any option coming up from deepest Cornwall - far too many variables. Hotel before, easy evening and stress free morning.

I will attempt a trip report just to keep you going. Yours in January will see me through - deal?
#938181 by gilly
07 Sep 2017, 18:07
Deal! And I have already persuaded him South West Wales is too far to risk "on the day" travel!

We ladies have ways and means!
#938186 by hiljil
07 Sep 2017, 20:56
I still remember the thrill of my First First . It absolutely lived up to expectations. Just thinking about that day brings a huge smile to my face & I'm sure you will have a wonderful time.I flew from T3 so cannot offer advice about T5 .

I look forward to reading your TR !
#938187 by gilly
07 Sep 2017, 21:12
hiljil wrote:I still remember the thrill of my First First . It absolutely lived up to expectations. Just thinking about that day brings a huge smile to my face & I'm sure you will have a wonderful time.I flew from T3 so cannot offer advice about T5 .

I look forward to reading your TR !

:D :D :D
#938191 by Hev60
07 Sep 2017, 21:44
gilly wrote:Deal! And I have already persuaded him South West Wales is too far to risk "on the day" travel!

We ladies have ways and means!

Oh my goodness, the thought of travelling to a London "on day of travel" from South Wales made my heart race with fear! especially considering what kind of weather we could get in a January.

We only live on the North London/Essex border but always stay at the airport overnight. Made that decision about 15years ago when my son's car broke down on the motorway and we ended up getting a lift from police car into Gatwick. The stress worrying about missing the flight and also about him being stuck miles from home, made me vow never again.

Sofitel is a wonderful way to start your holiday and then BA first class... what a wonderful way to start the new year off :cool:
#938192 by DragonLady
07 Sep 2017, 22:18
Book a cabana if you want a bit of peace and quiet ( or a private snooze) and enjoy a couple of Espresso Martinis at the bar :D .If you like whiskey they stock Blue Label :).
I like the Concorde Room but it's a different feel to the CH.
Have a great trip :).
DL
#938200 by pjh
08 Sep 2017, 08:05
gilly wrote:
Hev60 wrote:Think that sounds pretty awesome ;-)

Thnaks Hev. Flight is 18.25 so my husband says no need, but I am working on it! We always stay there when flying from T5.

When flying premium classes with BA is the rule about only being able to check in / drop your luggage 3 hours before the flight not applied?
#938202 by gumshoe
08 Sep 2017, 08:21
No, that rule doesn't apply if you're eligible to use Business or First check-in. You can bag drop any time from 5am on the day of travel.
#938215 by gilly
08 Sep 2017, 12:01
gumshoe wrote:No, that rule doesn't apply if you're eligible to use Business or First check-in. You can bag drop any time from 5am on the day of travel.

Perfect! Thank you so much.
#938216 by mallin
08 Sep 2017, 12:24
I am interested in your Terminal 5 BA First as well, Gilly/Marshy.

We are off on Tuesday to Terminal 3 First, it will be our second time but am already excited, and have BA First Terminal 5 booked for next June. Did read Dragon Lady's trip report anything is better than the ordinary waiting areas, considering both Firsts are on a 2-4-1 its even better , yes you get the meals selection a month out, and have just received our pre flight concierge services of booking a spa or porter services .

We always travel down the day before coming from Cambridgeshire and will eventually book us into the Soffitel, for the Terminal 5 trip, if you use Lastminute.com its their secret hotel for half the normal price, and you can go through Topcashback.

We are only on a 747 but only three seats are booked at the moment on the way out although seems to be full on the way back, I always book us into 2 and 3 so we get a window view both ways. I am sure you will enjoy whatever seat you are in. Linda :cool:
#938217 by mdhayes
08 Sep 2017, 12:32
OT but BA related, didn't want to ask on flyer talk as they're meanies compared to here. i am looking at a redemption next year flying to seoul and then return from tokyo, on the return I have the option of CW in a 787 on first in a 777, i've read a couple of reviews but no comparisons, is it worth the extra avios for first even on the older plane?
#938221 by marshy11
08 Sep 2017, 13:41
mallin wrote:I am interested in your Terminal 5 BA First as well, Gilly/Marshy.

We are off on Tuesday to Terminal 3 First, it will be our second time but am already excited, and have BA First Terminal 5 booked for next June. Did read Dragon Lady's trip report anything is better than the ordinary waiting areas, considering both Firsts are on a 2-4-1 its even better , yes you get the meals selection a month out, and have just received our pre flight concierge services of booking a spa or porter services .

We always travel down the day before coming from Cambridgeshire and will eventually book us into the Soffitel, for the Terminal 5 trip, if you use Lastminute.com its their secret hotel for half the normal price, and you can go through Topcashback.

We are only on a 747 but only three seats are booked at the moment on the way out although seems to be full on the way back, I always book us into 2 and 3 so we get a window view both ways. I am sure you will enjoy whatever seat you are in. Linda :cool:

How exciting Linda!

Incidentally I haven't booked our overnight hotel yet and just had a look at Lastminute and it isn't showing any 5* hotels under their secret banner. Is it just selected times or am I missing something?
#938223 by mallin
08 Sep 2017, 15:46
Hi Marshy,

Just checked for my dates in June 2018 and its still there but checked dates in November and nothing. Maybe all their allocation has gone. I usually book at least six months in advance and then do not go back and look at prices. I cannot do this, this time, as hubby may have to have a hip replacement(waiting on x-rays) and might have to cancel the June trip, (b......er) getting older). The doctor has given him so much medication to get us through this holiday with at least a 2,000 mile fly drive booked.

Keep trying they may have some availability come up. Linda
#938225 by Hamster
08 Sep 2017, 16:26
If you're flying on 747 check booking 72hr before departure, if no Gold card holders have seleted 1A/K you can then select these, lovely seats when traveling together.

Security directly into the First Lounge is great, but remember to exit the First Lounge and head over to the Concorde Room.

In the Concorde Room, the menus in the lounge are different to the menus in the dining room area, but you can order anything from either menu anywhere in the lounge.

If you get cold on-board ask for a day blanket (thin blanket) and ask for slippers (handy for walking to/in the toilets!)
#938232 by HWVlover
08 Sep 2017, 20:39
marshy11 wrote: We've got a second-First booked for April so will change to what we prefer on this flight later on.

Are you revisiting my favourite boutique hotel? If so, and we are there at the same time, the first bottle of champagne is on me.

Regards,
David
#938233 by catsilversword
08 Sep 2017, 20:42
[quote="mallin"]I am interested in your Terminal 5 BA First as well, Gilly/Marshy.

Like you, we always now stay overnight close to the airport. We actually would prefer not to, but the nightmare that is the M25 just keeps getting worse and worse - it just isn't worth the stress of trying to get to the airport on the day of travel....
#938249 by Bretty
09 Sep 2017, 10:50
mdhayes wrote:OT but BA related, didn't want to ask on flyer talk as they're meanies compared to here. i am looking at a redemption next year flying to seoul and then return from tokyo, on the return I have the option of CW in a 787 on first in a 777, i've read a couple of reviews but no comparisons, is it worth the extra avios for first even on the older plane?

In short yes! I flew 777 F earlier this year, small cabin with only 14 seats. I walked through the cabins as I've never flown CW and after looking at the seats I don't think I could, they're awful. The layout of CW on a 777 is 2-4-2 (same as WT+) and on a 787 it's 2-3-2 (also same as WT+). The seats look so cramped. However, YMMV and it depends what value you put on space and comfort.
#938254 by marshy11
09 Sep 2017, 14:56
HWVlover wrote:
marshy11 wrote: We've got a second-First booked for April so will change to what we prefer on this flight later on.

Are you revisiting my favourite boutique hotel? If so, and we are there at the same time, the first bottle of champagne is on me.

Regards,
David

Sadly not on this occasion.
#938268 by Hamster
10 Sep 2017, 00:35
Bretty wrote:In short yes! I flew 777 F earlier this year, small cabin with only 14 seats. I walked through the cabins as I've never flown CW and after looking at the seats I don't think I could, they're awful. The layout of CW on a 777 is 2-4-2 (same as WT+) and on a 787 it's 2-3-2 (also same as WT+). The seats look so cramped. However, YMMV and it depends what value you put on space and comfort.

Before ever flying Club I never liked the look of it, but since flying it i do like it, I prefer the seat to Upper Class I feel less cramped, and can get much more comfortable. Though the service isn't the same (though am looking forward to trying the new JFK Club service soon).
#938276 by Bretty
10 Sep 2017, 10:53
Hamster wrote:
Bretty wrote:In short yes! I flew 777 F earlier this year, small cabin with only 14 seats. I walked through the cabins as I've never flown CW and after looking at the seats I don't think I could, they're awful. The layout of CW on a 777 is 2-4-2 (same as WT+) and on a 787 it's 2-3-2 (also same as WT+). The seats look so cramped. However, YMMV and it depends what value you put on space and comfort.

Before ever flying Club I never liked the look of it, but since flying it i do like it, I prefer the seat to Upper Class I feel less cramped, and can get much more comfortable. Though the service isn't the same (though am looking forward to trying the new JFK Club service soon).

Different strokes for different folks I think Hamster. I think I'm probably going to have to try it at some point, but for now I'm avoiding it.
Virgin Atlantic