For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#938248 by chumba
09 Sep 2017, 10:30
Morning all

I’m after some information regarding entering the US with both GOES and a US Visa - specifically a C1/D visa. (Seaman’s Visa)

Ive only ever entered using GOES before with an ESTA and used the visa waiver scheme.

It’s never been a problem, a quick trip to the GOES machine and voila I’m in !

Im just about to be issued with a C1/D visa and was just wondering whether anyone has the same visa and GOES and can say whether you can still use just the machine or because of the visa a trip to see a happy CBP officer is also needed?

The GOES website does list the visas that can’t be used with GOES and the C12/D isn’t in the list.

I’m just wondering what peoples experiences are of using GOES with a visa?

Thanks in anticipation.
#938250 by PeterStansfield
09 Sep 2017, 11:14
Hi

I've always had a B1/B2 visa (or at least for the past 40 years)

I've had GOES for the past four years, and there's never been a problem. I just go the the GOES machine, type away, and within 30 sec I'm in the USA, with a waver pass for customs. GOES is great

Note - whether I'm doing it correctly or not, I'm never sure. But it's worked for about 25 entries into the US
In my view the whole ESTA/ VISA/ GOES area is a minefield of what is supposed to go with what, but I've got
better things to do than study the whole structure and process. Particularly if it works....

Peter
#938289 by chumba
10 Sep 2017, 18:16
PeterStansfield wrote:Hi

I've always had a B1/B2 visa (or at least for the past 40 years)

I've had GOES for the past four years, and there's never been a problem. I just go the the GOES machine, type away, and within 30 sec I'm in the USA, with a waver pass for customs. GOES is great

Note - whether I'm doing it correctly or not, I'm never sure. But it's worked for about 25 entries into the US
In my view the whole ESTA/ VISA/ GOES area is a minefield of what is supposed to go with what, but I've got
better things to do than study the whole structure and process. Particularly if it works....

Peter

Thanks for the info Peter, I guess you had your visa before you had GOES, I was hoping there would be someone with experience of obtaining a visa after they had GOES granted to see what happens, as the visa wouldn't be in the original GOES application.